Newbie needing touring bike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oh god, I've just realised I can track the bloody ship :D
But surely you will wan't to know the container # as well.

• :D
Reactions: LSR

filbert

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2020
the container is in the 'Ever Greet' - it's unloading @ felixstowe at the moment.
Right, first post time (long time reader - thanks for all the knowledge everyone). I can't resist getting in on all this ship chat. Were the latest batch of Caminos also on the Ever Greet?

I'm also really curious as to what happens next. I'm picturing a lorry driving down from Felixstowe with a shipping container full of bike bits and dumping it outside your shop, but I suspect that's not quite it!

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Woosh Camino perhaps?
you can get about 50 miles with the 15AH battery, 60 miles with the 17AH battery.
The Camino is fully equipped with rack, mudguards and reasonably lightweight.

These are really nice looking bikes, wish I had seen these before!

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
If you want a branded heavy (23.5kg) touring bike then the Cube Touring model bikes are good value and will easily have the range you need. Costs are in £1500-£2200 range generally.

Just make sure you get one with zero resist (which here means Bosch ALP or latest gen Bosch Performance motors) so you only have to pedal when tired, on a bad surface or going uphill.

I've done about 6000km on mine without a squeak in the past 1.5 years. It is bombproof.
I commute with it, I tour with it on flat and up hills, I pick up bread from the localbakery on it and I use it as my exercise bike on quick evening fitness loops (with motor off obviously).

Search my name on YouTube for a couple of video reviews of mine if you like.

The lighter bikes (like the Orbea Gain) tend to be based on road bikes rather than what I think of 'touring' environments - which to me means a lot of off-road - rivers, canals, woods, paths of all sorts, but not pure MTB territory.

The lighter bikes with lighter motors are great for good tarmac and better for commuting on roads/good cycle paths but may struggle a bit on more robust surfaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: gsm.terra

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
The lighter bikes (like the Orbea Gain) tend to be based on road bikes rather than what I think of 'touring' environments - which to me means a lot of off-road - rivers, canals, woods, paths of all sorts, but not pure MTB territory.

The lighter bikes with lighter motors are great for good tarmac and better for commuting on roads/good cycle paths but may struggle a bit on more robust surfaces.
You're right - most of the Orbeas are aimed at roads, but they do have a fat tyre version - the Gain D31 with simpler gearing for less grief when off-road. Probably a sensible choice if you're tackling urban canals, with glass, crud, etc.

Reactions: Gordy23

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm also really curious as to what happens next. I'm picturing a lorry driving down from Felixstowe with a shipping container full of bike bits and dumping it outside your shop, but I suspect that's not quite it!
Before being loaded onto that lorry, it has to clear Customs... and Felixstowe can really get clogged up at times. Sometimes it's far quicker to transport the uncleared goods to an "Inland Port" to expedite that clearance before onward shipping. I used to clear Taiwanese goods landed in Felixstowe through Customs in Cambridge... it was far quicker than waiting for Customs in Felixstowe and not much more expensive. I'm sure Woosh have their Customs clearance sussed though.

Reactions: filbert

castellrose

Just Joined
Aug 13, 2020
New to e bikes and looking for one for 20km commute and bikepacking and touring. Im fit and usually do 5 day bike tours with all my gear, averaging 45 miles a day. I envisage using an ebike on minimal assist most of the time. My ideal range would be about 60 km. Not sure whether to go with a light bike with small battery so i could cycle unassisted or a heavier bike with bigger battery and more range. Budget about £2200. Any ideas ?
I have posted my Scott Sub Tour Eride 10 bike for sale on Pedelecs. It is well under your budget. I have used it all over the hills of North Wales where I live. It might be what you are after, and pedals well with no or minimal motor assistance, unlike many E Bikes these days.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Any update on the Rambletta shipment.?
Hatti decided to delay it.
We are working flat out to clear the backlog on kits, still doing mainly kits, only two thirds through the backlog.
I now have to work Saturday morning.
I only started on assembling the Caminos yesterday.
Hatti decided to delay the Ramblettas 3 weeks for us to catch up. They will be here beginning of October.

first Gran-Camino assembled in Southend:

Last edited:
Reactions: Grebacwhite

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
We are working flat out to clear the backlog on kits, still doing mainly kits, only two thirds through the backlog.
Hatti decided to delay the Ramblettas 3 weeks for us to catch up. They will be here beginning of October.

Ah. I restart work in Sept so it would have been have been nice to have it by them.
But it's always useful to know the expected timescale and best not to rush out stuff without the required attention .
Thanks.

LSR

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2020
Wigan

Awesome. When will the gran Caminos start shipping ?
Ta
Les.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
I converted my Dawes touring bike with a Woosh front kit as I couldn't find a suitable dedicated touring ebike. I use mine more for commuting along canal paths but want the freedom to do some road touring too. Touring bikes seem to have sort of evolved into "gravel bikes" or "adventure bikes" so maybe a search for those might yield something you could convert. I wondered about buying a Genesis Day 20 and fitting a crank drive but what I've ended up with isn't massively different for a fraction of the cost.

Something that might be worth thinking about if you are a seaonded tourer is motor cut off, since some motors abruptly cut out at 15.5mph. My cruising speed is around 18mpg and I tried ebikes without success that all started to feel like I was cycling through treacle unless I capped the cruising speed I would normally have attained. With my XF07 the drop off is so seemless that on the flat I get to 18mpg and just stay at that even though at that speed the motor isn't actually doing anything - and it increases my range dramatically as effectively I'm only using my motor to accelerate and to go up hills. From personal trial and error I felt the Bosch Active was a worse offender than the Active Plus with regards to cut off.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Awesome. When will the gran Caminos start shipping ?
Ta
Les.
Wednesday I think. We assembled quite a few of them this week.
However, I am waiting for a 7mm hole punch press for the front mudguards.
The tyres are 27.5 x 2.15 instead of 27.5 x 2.0 like I specified but that is one of the many surprises you get when you open a container. The nearly fat tyres look very impressive but leave little room at the fork's crown for the front mudguard. The only way is to deepen the slot in the front mudguard hanger so I can lift it up.
If anyone has a trick how to do that without a hole punch tool, please let me know.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
........................... The only way is to deepen the slot in the front mudguard hanger so I can lift it up.
If anyone has a trick how to do that without a hole punch tool, please let me know.
Could you not use one of the many different shaped Dremel type tool bits to elongate the existing hole?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've tried with my dremel and I can't enlarge the slot neatly.

Reactions: Bikes4two