Help! Newbie needs advice on bike choice please

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Thanks - so sounds like avoid Carrera, Scott sounds like a winner though bit wary about cycle republic's trust pilot score - any views on the Raleigh?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Carrera Crossfuse OK (but more expensive), it's just the Crossfire (the one you mentioned) that was dubious.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Rob - I could probably use my current bike when I want a real work out - I'm assuming though if I'm on low power I can still feel like Im getting plenty of exercise?
No legal ebike is a rocket ship, so all will give you some exercise.

As said, Eco on a Bosch barely does more than cancel out the extra weight of the bike which means plenty of exercise for you.

I think you have a fighting chance of fitting a small.

The saddle will have plenty of height available, and the bars have several inches of upward adjustment.

For a relaxed riding position, most people like those two things to be about the same height.

So long as the bars are not miles below the saddle when it's set for you, you should be fine.

Reactions: Muddyfox

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
No legal ebike is a rocket ship, so all will give you some exercise.

As said, Eco on a Bosch barely does more than cancel out the extra weight of the bike which means plenty of exercise for you.

I think you have a fighting chance of fitting a small.

The saddle will have plenty of height available, and the bars have several inches of upward adjustment.

For a relaxed riding position, most people like those two things to be about the same height.

So long as the bars are not miles below the saddle when it's set for you, you should be fine.

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Thanks again Rob. Anyone recommend cycle republic or not! Anywhere else I should be looking? Cant see others doing a Bosch powered bike at this price.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cycle Republic is supposed to be Halfords but with proper cyclists on the staff.

Perhaps not worth worrying about too much.

The bike will arrive from Scott close to fully built, so there is limited opportunity for them to mess it up.

And there's always the possibility the branch you use is staffed by skilled people.

I presume you've checked the likes of Rutland and Tredz (also owned by Halfords) for alternatives.

Long established bike discounter Pauls now do ebikes.

Damian Harris is another, although there have been mixed reports about them.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
The latest Bosch motor - with the full size chain ring - has no resistance, so is not too bad to cycle unassisted, apart from the weight.

Most of the bargain Bosch bikes have the small chain ring motor which is geared up inside.

They work about the same under power, but are a bit of a dead loss to cycle unassisted because of the internal resistance.
Would not say the Bosch Step motor on my Scott is a "dead loss" to cycle unassisted. Rode mine to the start of the local cycle path about 0.6 miles from home before I realised I had still got the motor turned off. I am a reasonably fit 65 year old who once considered my cycling commute to work a chore as I did not know about or own an ebike before retiring.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What is a Bosch 'Step' motor?

I can only speak about the Performance Line on my Riese and Muller.

That is a dead loss unassisted, not least because of the extra weight of the second battery and the extra drag of the Rohloff hub.

The original Bosch motor from 2010 was OK to cycle unassisted.

It certainly didn't have the resistance which the later ones with the small chain ring do.

No coincidence Bosch has gone back to full size chain rings for the latest motors.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Thanks Rob - I could probably use my current bike when I want a real work out - I'm assuming though if I'm on low power I can still feel like Im getting plenty of exercise?
Rob I was fortunate enough to retire 5 years ago at the age of 60. Commuted 15 miles a day one of my, then , 5 bicycle's. Cycled at weekends and played league standard squash. Rheumatoid arthritis in my hands put an end to squash and once the arthritis got to my spine and ankles cycling also became to painful to enjoy. Holidays abroad and two pints 3 times a week after golf saw me put on 2 stone in 3 years. Don't get me wrong at my heaviest I was still only 13 stone. My electric bike encourages me to cycle again. I have recalibrated my mind not to race everything but to stick just below 15 mph usually in ECO mode and using my gears according to the inclines. Must be doing something right as my weight is reducing. So I would say you would be getting exercise and enjoyable exercise at that.

Reactions: Woosh

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham

What is a Bosch 'Step' motor?

I can only speak about the Performance Line on my Riese and Muller.

That is a dead loss unassisted, not least because of the extra weight of the second battery and the extra drag of the Rohloff hub.

The original Bosch motor from 2010 was OK to cycle unassisted.

It certainly didn't have the resistance which the later ones with the small chain ring do.

No coincidence Bosch has gone back to full size chain rings for the latest motors.
My mistake. My Scott has a Shimano motor.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

My mistake. My Scott has a Shimano motor.
That explains things.

Both motors ride alike under power.

But the now discontinued Bosch with the small chain ring is hard work unassisted.

Reactions: Muddyfox