Newbie with battery questions

stevelo333

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2019
Hi
I have a question about batteries, which I will get to, if you will forgive what may appear to be digressions, for the very knowledgeable people here - your insights will be greatly appreciated.

I have posted here already, re: dissatisfaction with my Gtech Sport, in a "reply" to a chat about swapping wires to bypass the controller settings (on said Gtech). I'd already planned to remove the controller and battery in favour of one of each I'd already bought as part of a hub motor kit - and today I took it out for its first spin, having done just that. I'm very happy with what I think is a massive all round improvement.

Stats according to a cheap wireless speedo...

Top speed throttle only: 21mph; pedalling too: 22.5mph (my feet could go no faster).
Distance on one charge: 27m (roughly a quarter of which was done on full throttle, the rest pedalling and throttle to maintain 15-16mph, all on the flat, apart from a couple of small hills, with a strong-ish headwind in places).
Average speed: 14mph

The battery is 48v, 13s5p, which I bought to power a 1000w hub motor (which was used once and abandoned because I felt like a hooligan riding it through the streets of my small town- it's in a dry place waiting for me to sell it), and the controller, unsurprisingly, is 48v too - and both of them are now powering the 250w Bafang on the Gtech Sport.

So, at last, my question(s):

I think I read on this site that two smaller capacity batteries of e.g. 5Ah would give a greater combined range than one 10Ah. Is this true?

Does the range I managed today sound pretty good for the battery (or is it just impossible to say, with so little to go on)?

I like the idea of multiple batteries. A bit of a pain to swap them over mid-trip, perhaps, but not too much, and the option of taking just one on short trips, or three for long ones, etc., appeals.

Your thoughts and opinions sought. Thanks in advance.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think I read on this site that two smaller capacity batteries of e.g. 5Ah would give a greater combined range than one 10Ah. Is this true?

Does the range I managed today sound pretty good for the battery (or is it just impossible to say, with so little to go on)?
If you read that, somebody doesn't know what they were talking about. The other thing is you get less power with smaller batteries because your average voltage is generally lower.

Your range sounds a little on the low side, though it's difficult to say without knowing the exact conditions and the battery's capacity.

stevelo333

Dec 16, 2019
If you read that, somebody doesn't know what they were talking about. The other thing is you get less power with smaller batteries because your average voltage is generally lower.

Your range sounds a little on the low side, though it's difficult to say without knowing the exact conditions and the battery's capacity.
Thanks vfr400, that's saved me some bother! It's a 10Ah battery, made of 18650 cells of unknown origin, bought when I knew even less than I know now, which is not a lot, though I'm keen to learn! I was quite impressed at first, but then I was comparing it to the original Gtech battery. More research needed!

stevelo333

Dec 16, 2019
I have another question, but I'll post it on the battery thread, which I've just found. It will be equally dim, but we all have to start somewhere :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks vfr400, that's saved me some bother! It's a 10Ah battery, made of 18650 cells of unknown origin, bought when I knew even less than I know now, which is not a lot, though I'm keen to learn! I was quite impressed at first, but then I was comparing it to the original Gtech battery. More research needed!
That range isn't so bad then if it's only 10Ah and you used full power all the time.