John Ennis

Just Joined
Nov 3, 2016
Co.Down N.Ireland
Hi everyone. Just joined your forum looking for some inspiration and good advice! I've been cycling for a good number of years, however I'm getting older and not as fit as I once was. I've decided to go electric!
Would like to build my own ebike Mainly for road use and something with a bit of oomph and good decent range.
I've been consumed the last few days looking at various kits and batteries. I'm as confused as ever!!! Thinking of front wheel kit as it seems to be easier to install.
I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on my plight!
Cheers, John

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on my plight!
Cheers, John
Welcome aboard John. :)

I bought SteveManfa's old bike, that he built for his good lady, by putting a front wheel drive oxydrive kit on it. I've just done over a 1000 miles and it's still going strong.

The good thing about these kits, (whichever one you decide to go with), is that you can pretty much put them on any bike that you like. So, you may be lucky enough to have a good bike and all you have to do is 'electrocute' it. :D

This place is a good start for advice and guidance. Enjoy the ride. :)

DSC00623.JPG 1.JPG 3.JPG DSC00640.JPG DSC00642.JPG DSC00643.JPG

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi and welcome. I think you're right, front hub is probably the easiest. I went that route with my first conversion. I plumped for an Ezee from Cyclezee. Not the cheapest kit but it had all I needed, worked first time and has continued to work for 3500 miles. This is one of the larger motors (like the whoosh bpm kit) and develops lots of torque for hills. It suits me as a long term leisure cyclist, never been strong or fast.
If you have been cycling for years you may prefer one of the smaller, lighter motors for a more gentle assist.
I'd say go for the biggest battery you can afford, there's nothing worse than range anxiety when you're getting knackered on the way home. Electric bikes are too bl**dy heavy to be pedalling unassisted, though the weight matters not one jot whilst assisted.
My battery is 15Ah, the max I've had on one charge is 36miles, there was more left. I cycle on assist 2/5 putting in the work, around hilly west Wales.
If you like the bike you're riding, I'd say go for it. The hardest part is taking a crank off and undoing the bottom bracket to fit the pas sensor. Apart from that it's just bolting things on and plugging them in.
Good luck and may your E-bike grin be broad!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

John Ennis

Just Joined
Nov 3, 2016
Co.Down N.Ireland
Hi John and welcome. I think you're right, front hub is probably the easiest. I went that route with my first conversion. I plumped for an Ezee from Cyclezee. Not the cheapest kit but it had all I needed, worked first time and has continued to work for 3500 miles. This is one of the larger motors (like the whoosh bpm kit) and develops lots of torque for hills. It suits me as a long term leisure cyclist, never been strong or fast.
If you have been cycling for years you may prefer one of the smaller, lighter motors for a more gentle assist.
I'd say go for the biggest battery you can afford, there's nothing worse than range anxiety when you're getting knackered on the way home. Electric bikes are too bl**dy heavy to be pedalling unassisted, though the weight matters not one jot whilst assisted.
My battery is 15Ah, the max I've had on one charge is 36miles, there was more left. I cycle on assist 2/5 putting in the work, around hilly west Wales.
If you like the bike you're riding, I'd say go for it. The hardest part is taking a crank off and undoing the bottom bracket to fit the pas sensor. Apart from that it's just bolting things on and plugging them in.
Good luck and may your E-bike grin be broad!
Cheers, Benjamin. It all seems a bit confusing ie batteries, motors, sensors etc! Don't want to spend a bucket load as I'm on a tight budget. Spotted a front wheel conversion kit (48v 1000w) on fleabay for £150 and a compatible Samsung battery and charger for around £250/300. However there's so much out there that I'm left confused!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Last edited:

John Ennis

Just Joined
Nov 3, 2016
Co.Down N.Ireland