Newcommer confused by sizes

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Hi all, and welcome, I bought a good bike from a good bike dealer. My initial phonecall witth one particular gentleman ended up in a recommendation that I buy a 43 cm frame. 2 days later, and a different gentleman on the phone, apparently a 50cm was just what "madam" needed. I have no problem with the builld quality of the bike, however, the larger frame size means I have had to fit a non standard seat post to get the saddle even close to where my behind is. This also excludes me from putting in any seatpost with air suspension, as to ride the bike, there is only an inch of seat post sticking out from the frame before the saddle starts.
Internet shopping is all well and good, this was in the UK.
Be aware (but please buy an electric bike because they are fab) x

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Hi all, and welcome, I bought a good bike from a good bike dealer. My initial phonecall witth one particular gentleman ended up in a recommendation that I buy a 43 cm frame. 2 days later, and a different gentleman on the phone, apparently a 50cm was just what "madam" needed. I have no problem with the builld quality of the bike, however, the larger frame size means I have had to fit a non standard seat post to get the saddle even close to where my behind is. This also excludes me from putting in any seatpost with air suspension, as to ride the bike, there is only an inch of seat post sticking out from the frame before the saddle starts.
Internet shopping is all well and good, this was in the UK.
Be aware (but please buy an electric bike because they are fab) x
Well done for persevering, and not doing a http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/expensive-mistake.15736/ denwyn. As an alternative to a suspension seatpost, you could always find yourself a nice sprung saddle?

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Once you're comfortable & confident on the bike, try raising the saddle a centimeter & repeat over time until your leg is straight when the crank is at 6 o'clock & your heel on the pedal.

(I'm assuming you currently like to get your feet down without de-parking your bum from the saddle). If I assume too much - Ignore as the ramblings of an old fart :rolleyes:

You might be surprised at how much easier pedalling is - Then you might sqeeze a Suntour SP12 ncx in there & be Really comfortable.

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Once you're comfortable & confident on the bike, try raising the saddle a centimeter & repeat over time until your leg is straight when the crank is at 6 o'clock & your heel on the pedal.

(I'm assuming you currently like to get your feet down without de-parking your bum from the saddle). If I assume too much - Ignore as the ramblings of an old fart :rolleyes:

You might be surprised at how much easier pedalling is - Then you might sqeeze a Suntour SP12 ncx in there & be Really comfortable.
My problem is that the available frame sizes which are overstock and in the January sale are too big for ladies. I simply cannot touch the ground with the 50cm frame one of the UK Kalkhoff distributors advised. Received wisdom of trying before you buy simply doesn't work north of Watford gap.

Solarbake

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2014
it seems strange that the difference jumped from 43cm to 50 cm I think you should get the frame changed for a smaller one as you not happy with and were misled a bit.

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
it seems strange that the difference jumped from 43cm to 50 cm I think you should get the frame changed for a smaller one as you not happy with and were misled a bit.
Yes, I'm an old fart (or newbie) take your pick, but getting at least a small part of your foot on the road (even if it's only one toe) seems reasonable to me. Not being able to reach any part of your sole seems a little athletic ('m ok, but I'm not super athletic and this remembering that your feet can't touch the ground can only end in tears...I thought you had to have at least a touch point with feet but that was ages and ages ago when I did my cycling proficiency!)
The difference between a 43cm and 50cm isn't insignificant! I suppose it's like buying a pair of trousers with a 33 inch inside leg, then finding your only 29".
Bummer.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
47cm frame is good if you are under 5ft 6, 50cm frame if you are over 5ft 10.
If you are in between, then you should be comfortable with both.
If you don't feel safe on the bike because of its size, you should insist on swapping it for a smaller one.

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
It's tricky. Non electric bikes seem to measure different dimensions. As a customer, I thought anouncing that I had an inside leg of whatever would be helpfull to the salesman. (Mostly because I thought the salesman A) knew and B) cared.) I'm ok with the bike (mostly amazed at it's, rather than mine, electric capabililty) but I would never ever ever ask that company to fit me for a bra.

Reactions: Cyclezee

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
If you don't feel safe on the bike because of its size, you should insist on swapping it for a smaller one.
Still can't see how a recommendation for a 50cm frame is ok for someone 5"8, 30" inside leg.

lone_ranger

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2014
Still can't see how a recommendation for a 50cm frame is ok for someone 5"8, 30" inside leg.
As I've already posted, if you need to lower the seat significantly because the frame is really too tall, you need to swap out the seat to another one, and will have to spend time to find a substitute. Salesmen need more education - it usually makes for happier customers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Salesmen need more education - it usually makes for happier customers.
Unfortunately, in retail their education often consists of the importance of flogging what's already in stock, especially if it's last year's unsold model.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Can't help thinking you are being a tad unfair to the salesman, as you seem to be referring to a "distance" sale rather than a bike you tried before buying: If I read right, it's a clearance sale bike & the only other frame size left was 43cm.

A 50cm frame Should be ok for 30" inside leg, provided you have standover clearance.
I ride a 19" (48cm) with 29" wheels & my inside leg is only 28": I'm perfectly comfortable on it, but I slide my backside off the seat when I stop; as do most people.