Nimh battery packs from Batteryspace.com - Price Shock!

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Hello all

I've found that the price of the Nimh packs from batteryspace.com have rocketed in price recently. I was alerted to this on the yahoo power assist group. Opinion (wild rumour) there is that there is a shortage of nickel or some sort of supply chain problem with nimh batteries. Can anyone shed some light on it? Batteryspace.com profiteering from increased demand from ebikers?

Whatever the reason, the nimh packs from powacycle look a real bargin now. If anyone was thinking of getting a spare / recelling their pack maybe now would be a good time to get your new pack!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the tip, it seems to be particularly related to D size cells and the packs using them. F and C cells seem relatively unaffected, so it may be a supply shortage problem due to high demand for those D cells in E-bikes.

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Gordon Bennett, see what you mean. They've gone up 50% since I bought mine. Looks like I got in at the right time for once!!!

Still superb cells the 10 Ah ones, I'm happily getting 30 miles on a charge.

Chris.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good Chris, dead on the expectation we had hoped for, a 50% range increase on the standard Giant Twist battery. 30 miles is very good on such a small and light battery.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
eZee are reporting significant price increases and demands from the supplier for money up front, which is crazy.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Prices for nickel are at an all time high due to high demand for stainless steel production in China, but the real problem is shortage, as at March 19th world stocks were below one day's world demand. I don't suppose the small quantities needed for cell manufacture would get much priority against the big boys in steel.

Most commentators think a price drop won't be long coming as mines react, but one believes that prices could remain high for some years. Mainly the shortage affects us really. With the small amounts involved in cells, the price rise even over a year should only make a small difference to a battery's cost of production, but it's likely the manufacturers are paying "over the top" at present just to get a supply, hence the elevated prices.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Does anybody
know if 50 cycles will be selling NIMH batterys again for the torq i am not very keen on paying £250 for Li on just for a slight weight advantage:) fingers crossed:D nigel.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
probably a very good reason why they cant,but its a pity the batteries cant be used in holders that can be clipped together, to form what ever power pack you need, then any body could rebuild a pack any time they wanted ;) if you ran out you could pop into tesco buy some ever ready, put them in and get home,:rolleyes:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Or better still the battery recharges its self while you are riding your bike thats the way forward mike:D NIGEL.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently no stock at the moment because of the shortages mentioned above Nigel. May change in a few months time though.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi folks
could someone explain to me how come the new ezee liv with lithium battery only costs £100 extra but the lithium for the torq will cost £250 Hmmm:confused: NIGEL

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With the NiMh taken out and the Li-ion in it's place, the Li-ion version only costs the difference extra Nigel, which is that £100. A spare battery for it will be the same £250 as for the Torq and other models.