Nimh vs. LithiumPolymere

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
when going through my files i found this messurment i made last year with my datalogger (loggs 10 samples/second)
just want to share without any purpose

i just had 1 nimh and 1 lipo with me, so i used both, looged so i can compare..

i used:
LIPO
a 2 year old Lithium Polymere batterie,
4000mah
rated for 10C continouse discharge
Weight: 340g
price: 140Euro

NIMH
a 3year old 11cells NimH-battery
1950mah
pushed and matched
(pushed: through the cell is a current of several 1000A pushed for very short time, that changes the christall structure in the materieal of the cell..
the inner restistance is reduced, the cell can handle more current)
(matched: each cell is measured and only similar cells (capacity, voltage, ir) are soldered together to a pack)

weight: 420g
price: 90 Euro

so: the Nimh had:
lower voltage, a lot less capacity
AND was still heavier

here the result of the measurement:
on the left side the light Lithium Polymere pack
on the right side the NiMh-Pack

also the lipos was lighter it gave me about double power-peaks (1050Watt vs. 550Watt) and longer runtime (~600seconds vs. 250seconds)

in the last 2-3years there where lot of changes on the batterie-market..
Nimh are stronger with more capacity..
but also Lipos are stronger now (in the test: 10C cell, now availabe: 30C cells)

on the end: when you do the test today with new 30C lipos and the best - similar weighing Nimh - you will see the same resultat
Lipos are far superior

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Absolutely right kraeuterbutter, except the better Lipos aren't in our e-bike batteries yet.

When a powerful e-bike comes with a reasonably priced lithium battery that works hard and lasts four years,

we'll all be delighted to use it.

Meanwhile we have lithium batteries that don't work and can become unusable in as little as six months leaving

NiMh which cost less and serve as without fail for at least three years and often up to five years as clearly the

best, because it works.

We don't ride our bikes in laboratories, and we don't argue this because we're cussed, but because we know

what happens in the real e-bike world, where lithium technology has mostly been short lived costly rubbish.

Anything which doesn't work can never be the best.

P.S. Your charts are too large and cause the page to spread beyond the screen. They need reducing in size

before posting. Hence my double spacing to save others scrolling to read this.

Last edited: