No keys... can I still use bike?

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
I'm looking to purchase a second hand Pro rider e-tourer bike, the only snag is that it doesn't come with the keys... initially I assumed the key was just to unlock the battery but I've seen a post on this forum that says:

Everything is standard Chinese stuff, so nothing complicated. Ask if you have any questions, The battery middle position is off, Clockwise one click for on. From off, push and turn anticlockwise to de-latch the battery foe removal.
So I'm assuming that the bike cannot be used in electric mode if both keys are lost?

The person selling is not the original buyer so don't think the manufactuer would help. Is there any way to obtain replacement keys?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I don't know that bike but removing battery for charging is common.
The issue is why no keys, that always rings the is it stolen question. If he has the receipt the dealer should be happy to assist with keys? What about the charger?

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
Thanks, it's almost certainly stolen... it's on a Police auction! It doesn't come with a charger but I see these can be bought easily online.

I thought it would be a cheap introduction to electric bikes but pointless buying it if keys are needed to use it as an electric bike.

Reactions: anotherkiwi
C

Cyclezee

Hi Bike Newbie,

Is the key switch/lock in the battery or on the bike frame?

In either instance you would need to carefully drill out the lock and replace it with a new one.

In either instance proceed with caution.

As it cannot be seen working, unless it is a total bargain and you are prepared for the cost to restore it to working order I would avoid it.

Reactions: bike newbie
D

Deleted member 4366

You take the 4 screws out of the top of the battery, then you can lift the top off. The key switch is held in with two screws. Once undone you can wiggle it out. Replacements are readily available from a number of sources including Ebay. You just have to solder two wires. Alternatively you can bypass the switch by joining the two wires or you can use any other switch capapable of 15 amps.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I thought you need to unlock the battery before you can lift the top off.

D

Deleted member 4366

No, You can wiggle the the top out sideways once the screws are undone. The bolt is only in that flexible aluminium strip, which you can lever out the way without taking the top off anyway.

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
Thanks all, all input is very much appreciated!

In particular d8veh - your posts are very informative and sounds like there may be a solution to the no key issue, thank you!

Hi Bike Newbie,

Is the key switch/lock in the battery or on the bike frame?...

...As it cannot be seen working, unless it is a total bargain and you are prepared for the cost to restore it to working order I would avoid it.

I've attached an image of the lock/battery area (not from the actual bike)... not sure if this is good/bad in a 'no key' scenario?!

I've no idea if the battery works or not, it's very cheap at the moment (it's the one you've linked to) so a bit of a gamble. It's sold as spares or repairs which may be a clue!

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

In the worst case scenario that you have to break the plastic bit to get it off, I have a complete replacement top you can have for the cost of the postage.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It looks like you have a potential bargin there.
Even recelling and a new charger should be under £250.
Good luck

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
In the worst case scenario that you have to break the plastic bit to get it off, I have a complete replacement top you can have for the cost of the postage.
What a kind offer, thank you so much! When I posted I wondered if I'd get any replies at all so wan't expecting such a fantastic response, let alone such a kind offer of help.

It looks like you have a potential bargin there.
Even recelling and a new charger should be under £250.
Good luck
I assume 'recelling' is 'fixing' the battery? I didn't realise this could be done, I thought once a battery was dead there was no coming back to life!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What a kind offer, thank you so much! When I posted I wondered if I'd get any replies at all so wan't expecting such a fantastic response, let alone such a kind offer of help.

I assume 'recelling' is 'fixing' the battery? I didn't realise this could be done, I thought once a battery was dead there was no coming back to life!
D8veh is an expert and super helpful.
The inner batteries may be duff but new ones can be fitted as can a replacement battery.
You can get lots of help here ( just don't talk politics or dongles unless you want an argument)

D

Deleted member 4366

That type of battery is very common. You can get them from many sources for the same price as a re-cell. A new one will come with keys.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
If it is in a Police auction, I think we can assume that the battery is dead. I understand that the Police have to hang on to the bike for 12 months or so before they can sell it.

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
Any decent locksmith would be able to open the lock and make a key to fit, but they'll almost certainly want to see some sort of receipt.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
Thanks again for all the help, I decided to take Cyclezee's advice and steer clear, when you factored in buying the charger, trying to sort the lock issue and the fact the battery was most probably dead it wasn't such a good deal... it's made my mind up that I do want an electric bike though so am going to keep my eyes peeled on eBay