no lights -- want lights

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello all.
I wanted to purchase a Cube ACID hybrid one 500 Allroad 29 but had to settle for its brother the ACID hybrid one 500 29 as there wasn't any of the Allroad available in the UK.
The only differences between them is the Allroad has the addition of mudguards, kick stand and lights, the lights are controlled via the Purion LCD.
Now I have retro fitted the stand and guards but I can't find any guidance for installing the lights which I would like to get done. As the bikes are basically the same bike I was rather hoping the cabling would be pre-installed and all I would need to do is purchase the factory fitted lights and plug them in. That may well not be the case but I can't find any info anywhere on how or if I can do this. Even if I have to "fish" the cabling through it shouldn't be impossible for me to do.

What about the dealer I hear you cry well he just doesn't want to get involved saying it wouldn't be worth his while, great customer relationship start that is.

So does anybody have any knowledge on attempting this and is it even possible to do.

Many thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the cables come with the lights so you will have to thread the cable down the frame to the motor and then plug them in.

if the bike does not come with lights fitted then buy default they are set to off so you will need a dealer to turn this on via the software.

the voltage for the lights is not much so imo a cheap cree bike light would be much brighter.

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
LOL very true Amoto65 but the drive to have an ebike won out and the Cube Acid seemed suitable for my needs. This is my first ebike and my knowledge level is quite low.
I hadn't realised that all suppliers of Cube had sold out of those versions so I was left to do as you say or buy a much dearer bike.
I'm very pleased with what I have but it seems the easy way to go will be to just add a lighting kit for front and rear lighting controlled independently through an on/off switch.

I'll search for a bit longer to see if Cube can supply a kit for me to fit, no sign of one yet though.

Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

id sit down b4 you click on that ;)

diy cables

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Markxc40

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
LOL very true Amoto65 but the drive to have an ebike won out and the Cube Acid seemed suitable for my needs. This is my first ebike and my knowledge level is quite low.
Don't get me wrong I think Cube bikes are very good, I would just not have put up with a dealer who was lacking in their customer service, maybe independent lights would be the way forward at least it would not use any of your battery up. Either way good luck.

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Wow soundwave I'm laying down from the shock of the price it would cost me for those lights.

I think I'll go down the route of choosing from the many manufacturers that make some suitable offerings.
I don't think I want to dig about inside the motor either just in case I break something.

Many thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can diy your own lights but the output from the motor is so low like 5v and 2a front and back is just to low esp in pitch black with no road lights 900lm is not going to cut it.

i have one of these as best bang for bucks i could find but now out of stock.

DSC_0150_01.JPG

it will run for about 1hr on full power and is so bright others coming the other way have had to stop and look away pmsl ;)

a lupine light the same power would. be about 1k.

• Informative
Reactions: Unseen and Markxc40

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello Soundwave I've just had a look at the videos you showed above and they don't look difficult to follow.
Great find thank you.
The big problem will be the cost and the fact those lights appear to work of a remote push button whereas I was hoping that I could use the Purion LCD already fitted for switching.
But then it says I can get a FREE update from the bike shop to activate lighting on my bike if they have not had lighting fitted before but I'm not sure what exactly is being updated? Is it to set up the Purion unit to switch on/off lights?
If I can't switch the lighting on from the Purion LCD I may as well go for one of the other add on [and cheaper] light kits that are available. There are some kits out there that are having front, rear, sw unit, self contained battery all cables and ready for usb charging. 2 hours life/charge @600 lumens all for about £42.
Sounded too good to be true...………….. and it was they had no stock - oh glum! but they are expecting a delivery soon. hurrah.

I live in hope

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bikes software will need the light function to be switched on buy a bosch dealer as buy default it is of if no lights are fitted from new.

you can then use the display to turn on the lights if thats what you want

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
front light 6v 8.4w output

rear light 6v 0.6w output

thats all you get from the motor power wise for the lights so not a lot at all.

• Useful

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
you can diy your own lights but the output from the motor is so low like 5v and 2a front and back is just to low esp in pitch black with no road lights 900lm is not going to cut it.

i have one of these as best bang for bucks i could find but now out of stock.

View attachment 36196

it will run for about 1hr on full power and is so bright others coming the other way have had to stop and look away pmsl ;)

a lupine light the same power would. be about 1k.
Dear god soundwave your neighbours must really love your miniature sun!

Purely out of curiosity is there any reason for the lighting supply to be that low other than maybe a throw back to dynamo lighting or maybe just to keep power usage low ?

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Dear god soundwave your neighbours must really love your miniature sun!

Purely out of curiosity is there any reason for the lighting supply to be that low other than maybe a throw back to dynamo lighting or maybe just to keep power usage low ?
imo it is to keep to power usage low a 8000lm light drinks power ;)

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Ok that's scared me off so I think I'll go down the route like Tarka has suggested.
See my comments in post #9 above.

Thanks Soundwave you are a font of knowledge, many thanks again.
I'm making you my personal first call person as I'm sure I will have some more questions.

Best

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

turn up the voltage and you get more amps but if you cant cool the led it goes bang same as a cpu and heat sink.

and bike lights from china are way over rated lm output wise just so ypu know ;)

• Informative