Northern Ireland EAPC status.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
OK, a letter to Sammy Wilson MP a week ago got this reply.
We are in no position to be impatient - even though that is one of my worst traits.

Dear Mr ..............
Thank you very much for your email regarding the need to update legislation to allow for e-bikes.
This is an issue which I had taken up with the direct rule Ministers on a number of occasions and had asked for legislation to be brought through Westminster. Ministers were not prepared to do this because they said it was a devolved issue, even though they interfered in other very sensitive devolved issues. However, now that the Assembly is up and running I will be raising with the relevant Minister the need to introduce the legislation quickly.

Sammy Wilson MP
(Dictated by Mr Wilson and sent on his behalf)

Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Another reply - anyone still awake out there? :oops:

Dear ….

Thank you for your recent correspondence by email regarding the matters on which we had previously corresponded in relation to the registration of electric assisted pedal bicycles. As you rightly point out, now that the Assembly is fully functioning, there will be an opportunity for the law that has been implemented in other parts of the UK to be extended to include Northern Ireland.

I will therefore be providing a copy of your correspondence to my colleague Paul Givan MLA and requesting that he press this issue in the Assembly in the hope that the legislation here can be brought into line with the rest of the UK as a matter of priority.

I am copying this response to Paul Givan and you may wish to be in contact with him directly.

With kind regards,

The reference to the R word – “registration” prompted me into action again and I received a reply from Paul Givan MLA

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Good afternoon ......

I write in respect of your email to .............. regarding the legislation around electric bicycles (EAPCs).

I have written to the Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon MLA, raising you very valid concerns about the absence of uniformity with the rest of the United Kingdom in this regard. I am aware that in 2016 plans were in place to amend this legislation to provide the exemption of licensing requirements for EAPCs however, due to the collapse of the Executive, this was not able to be progressed. Be assured that it was clearly stated in my correspondence that there should be no registration required and the vehicles should be defined as bicycles and not mopeds.

When I receive a response from the Minister in this regard, I will be in contact with you again.

I trust this is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Paul

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I know you folk have been supportive for a long time but could I ask anyone / everyone to mail Mr Givan at this address paul.givan@mla.niassembly.gov.uk

I know you will understand that I don’t really want to appear to be the only one who is affected by this issue as that would look poor so the more correspondence he receives the better it will be for us here.
Trust me, my mail to him was more than comprehensive and he has replied accordingly but strength in numbers will keep this on the boil.

It was a positive reply from him especially the reference to “no registrations” but as many other supporters as possible would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ted.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Good job Ted,

I`ll throw this one in as well -> https://www.facebook.com/DepartmentforInfrastructure/
I don`t have this but maybe its possible to post a comment in there?

Have to say to their credit this Dept hasn`t been sitting on their hands lately https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news

Infrastructure Committee meetings, this looks like where decisions are taken -> https://niassembly.tv/committee-for-infrastructure-meeting-wednesday-22-january-2020/
seems Michellle M`Ilveen is the chairperson so a mail to her wouldn`t be out of place - cyclists given a mention in that link if you listen.

Reactions: flecc and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Thank you for copying me in to your recent email to my colleague ………………..MLA on the subject of electric bicycles in Northern Ireland and your opposition to any attempt to require registration of these cycles here. I will continue to work closely with ………. in his efforts to have this matter raised with the relevant Minister at Stormont as soon as possible.

Can I also apologise for the wording that I used in my recent email to you last week when I spoke of the need to ensure that the regulations in Northern Ireland are consistent with those that apply in other parts of the UK. It is the case that we support cyclists who are owners of electric bicycles and we do not want a registration process to be introduced in Northern Ireland as it is completely unnecessary.

Please be assured that we will continue to press the case in opposition to the introduction of a registration process for electric bicycles in Northern Ireland. I trust that this clarifies our position.
With kind regards,
Yours sincerely

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Well done Ted, progress at last. I'll also send an email to Paul above echoing your argument to expedite the legislation that has been sitting around since 2016.

It will be a great day when we all hear you're back on your bike Ted!

• Agree

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
My bike now has about 1,700 miles on it, that's a 4 mile commute everyday since I bought it.

I'm 42 now Ted, I'm not interested in riding as fast as I can go, I just want to get to work and get home, I take no chances and I wear a helmet everyday.

In 1,700 miles the only thing I've had to fix was the cassette, Woosh sent me a new one for about £15, changed it in about 30 minutes....and that it. Other than that my bike has been more reliable that any other vehicle I've ever owned!

Reactions: TedG

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
minor update from our MLA..

"
I wanted to let you know that Chris has raised this with the Minister for Infrastructure by way of a written question:

AQW 495/17-22
"To ask the Minister for Infrastructure when her Department will update electronic bike regulations to bring Northern Ireland in line with the rest of the United Kingdom"

I hope this is a helpful update and will let you know as soon as we receive a reply."

• Informative

UlsterEPAC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 14, 2020
minor update from our MLA..

"
I wanted to let you know that Chris has raised this with the Minister for Infrastructure by way of a written question:

AQW 495/17-22
"To ask the Minister for Infrastructure when her Department will update electronic bike regulations to bring Northern Ireland in line with the rest of the United Kingdom"

I hope this is a helpful update and will let you know as soon as we receive a reply."
I note the minister has already answered a similar question from another MLA:

AQW 309/17-22
"To ask the Minister for Infrastructure what is being done to bring electrically assisted pedal cycle licensing requirements into line with those in other jurisdictions."

ANSWER
"I am aware of the current situation regarding the use of electrically assisted pedal cycles (EAPCs) in NI, and I am particularly conscious of the disparity with GB and Ireland. Current NI regulatory requirements include the need to register, license and insure EAPCs before use, and the rider must wear a helmet and hold a valid or full driving licence.
This is an issue I wish to examine closely, to determine how I wish to proceed."

Not much in the way of new information there I'm afraid. ☹

• Informative
Reactions: tommie and TedG

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
This is an issue I wish to examine closely, to determine how I wish to proceed."
Issue?? Examine closely?? how i wish to proceed??

What sort of amateur do we have here?

How do you think you`d proceed?!! It`s simple, a couple strokes of the pen, sign the existing legislation off and that`s it out the door.
I bet they dont know where the detail of the legislation is, probably lost it.

No wonder she was found driving in a Bus lane, doesn`t have a clue where she is.

UlsterEPAC

Jan 14, 2020
Maybe it's best she takes her time and uses baby steps, or we could end up with something like the MOT test centre farce (also her remit):

If she could get the Pedelecs sorted, at least we would have some form of transport, the way it's going, we soon won't be able use our cars either!!

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and tommie

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Maybe it's best she takes her time and uses baby steps, or we could end up with something like the MOT test centre farce (also her remit):

If she could get the Pedelecs sorted, at least we would have some form of transport, the way it's going, we soon won't be able use our cars either!!
Sorry I’ve had to edit this because something got messed up in the quoting, my fault.

1C2E719A-EF4A-4EDE-8000-6A3BCA0A6430.jpeg

I just read this bit and I thought that will be a first for an insurance company not to wheedle out of the claim !

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Just two items...
1. I am hoping that the ebike exemption is legalised in the NI ASAP..
2. It has been found that the same defects in the hoist equipment are in equipment sold into the Irish NCT..our MoT equivalent. . However the Irish response is more proportional. Cars are expected to attend as before for their NCT ,and all the other tests excluding the underbody inspection will be carried out . Drivers will get their certificates if these are OK , and will be charged for the full test. Then when the equipment has been repaired, required to attend for that inspection only. ..no extra fee payable.
The law basically is that driving a vehicle with a valid certificate makes it compliant. Driving a car with a known defect is an offence.,and insurance companies would be in their rights to object, but an unknown defect is covered. Afterall the brake cylinder could rupture a week after a car had passed the MoT or NCT.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I got slaughtered on another forum for suggesting that technicians examining cars should perhaps be able to spot a crack in a lift under which they were working.
So strict here compared to our years in England reinforced my thinking about their diligence. Who knows.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I was intending to wait a few days but what the heck. Started again today with another set of emails to 5 of the MP's who responded, all positive responses to be fair so I am giving them another gentle "nudge".
Disappointed not to have received a reply or acknowledgement at all from the SDLP and as Ms Mallon is SDLP and is "looking for a way to proceed", my cynicism...............

Reactions: flecc

larneyin

Apr 6, 2013
Hello Everyone

Although I have been a lurking member of the forum since 2013, recent developments encouraged me to make a post on what I thought was the most recent thread regarding the NI eBike situation. I have now discovered that this is the active thread

Briefly, I contacted my MLA regarding this and he has put down a written question which he says is due to be answered by 12th February.

Great to see so much activity - let's hope that this will have a successful outcome soon

Reactions: TedG and flecc