Northern Ireland regulations.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Hi Folk,
Hoping to get some opinions about the regulations proposed for N. Ireland
welcome Ted, any comments would be unprintable in here, it`s a farce.

To his credit Nolan, who apparently went in to Halfords to buy an ebike in the first place, gave the powers that be some stick on the radio today over this. It`s been aired on the local news and MLA`s have been involved who are demanding Brokenshire sort this out. What powers anyone has at this time remain to be seen - don`t be holding your breath!

https://twitter.com/StephenNolan

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
welcome Ted, any comments would be unprintable in here, it`s a farce.

To his credit Nolan, who apparently went in to Halfords to buy an ebike in the first place, gave the powers that be some stick on the radio today over this. It`s been aired on the local news and MLA`s have been involved who are demanding Brokenshire sort this out. What powers anyone has at this time remain to be seen - don`t be holding your breath!

https://twitter.com/StephenNolan
Hi Tommie

It probably won't be popular but I have been taking Nolan with a pinch of salt for some time. He may well have been intending to buy an e-bike - or it could have just been a coincidence with these latest proposals attractive for his show but either way it is very disappointing that users are being targeted in this ludicrous way. At least he has brought it to the media attention and hopefully any remaining, or future powers will be able to sort out this mess.

Due to an industrial accident I have been left no longer able to "push" a bicycle with resulting health issues from that life changing event and as we are both pensioners now the prospect of e-bikes seemed a great idea and they were for the last 18 months.

I am not sure how much of the rest of the UK are aware of these proposals but it will be interesting to hear some other views.

When we lived and worked in England for 33 years I did have a Powerbyke which was a "twist and go" job with little or no effort needed but this model could have been considered more of a "moped" than the pedelec versions we currently have.

I have come across quite a few e-bikes on our travels here since coming "home" six years ago so I suspect this will be causing a lot of consternation.

I contacted my dealer about 10 days ago when I heard the rumblings but he said he was "unaware" and when I then contacted the supplier I was told that he could see it coming to nothing.

Not sure we are willing to take the risk of an overzealous plod doing what is in effect his job in this case, however nonsensical the law is.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Where the regs stipulate crash helmet, does that mean one of those full face thingies?
Someone may correct me because I got a headache listening and trying to absorb the farcical info and discussions. The host of the radio show mentioned was becoming a bit hysterical (IMO) but he was simply relating what he had apparently been told about proposals regarding the use of e-bikes here.

Apparently there will be the need to have a moped / motorbike licence and during the test riders were to wear proper full face bike helmets like the ones I wore over 35 years on fast bikes.

There was a suggestion that proper leather / protective clothing was necessary for the test and afterwards on the roads.

There was a suggestion that proper motorcycle boots or similar would be necessary, all of which makes these proposals comical - if they were serious and as things stand at present without a government in control, they are serious.

Effectively until otherwise decided e-bikes are deemed to be at least mopeds and at worst motorcycles because they are driven by a source other than legs, which in itself is somewhat untrue as there needs to be leg assistance. Someone somewhere hasn’t thought this through but the law as the PSNI (local police) states stands and there will inevitably be a "test case" at some point.

Fines of upwards of £500 have been mentioned possibly to make an example of someone.

Tax and insurance and therefore number plates make the proposals even more absurd.

The threat of six points has been suggested - presumably if the rider is a car driver and not a full time cyclist and doesn’t have a licence is going to be interesting!

The suggestion that "My e-bike was switched off officer, I am just pedalling it like a push bike" is also going to be interesting.

Personally I have no idea why e-bike riders are being targeted in this small part of Great Britain with to my knowledge the same laws as the rest of the UK but it is a very sunny day today and we were planning a decent ride on two expensive bikes.

As I said I stand to be corrected if I have made an error anywhere in my understanding of this ridiculous situation.

The overworked PSNI are possibly unlikely to apply this law but are we prepared to take the risk - probably not, so our excellent bikes are abandoned until this is sorted.

Opinions anyone?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Opinions anyone?
Theory tests, then two practical tests.. The law's an ass. It's totally absurd and discriminatory against the rest of the UK. If I still lived in Lisburn, I'd be riding it everywhere still and enjoying the beauty of the place, regardless.

If you disagree then I wish you good luck with your lessons. :D

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Apparently there will be the need to have a moped / motorbike licence and during the test riders were to wear proper full face bike helmets like the ones I wore over 35 years on fast bikes.

There was a suggestion that proper leather / protective clothing was necessary for the test and afterwards on the roads.

There was a suggestion that proper motorcycle boots or similar would be necessary, all of which makes these proposals comical

Opinions anyone?
If this ends up becoming law, then I reckon that'll totally kill off the electric bike industry there. No one in their right mind will want to ride whilst wearing full gear. It negates the effect of arriving at work sweat free, and I personally think full face helmets stifle peripheral vision and hearing perception.

Just hope the powers that be come to their senses.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and LeighPing