Not sure what freehub I have (Carrera Vulcan E)

shabba007

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2021
Hi all, I've been having some problems with my Carrera Vulcan E when free wheeling or pedling backwards. The chain just becomes slack and falls off. I've managed to get the freehub off (hadn't done this before), but not really sure what I should expect regards movement having not seen a new one working. It's does appear pretty dirty, but I'm not seeing ball bearings to remove which I was expecting after watching a few Youtube videos. There was no grease on the axel the freehub came off. Again don't know if that's normal.

Thought it might be easier to just replace the whole free hub, but I don't know what to order. Can anyone tell from these pics ? Are they pretty standard ?

cheers,
Andy.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The baring's are in a sealed race and there are two, each one can be seen either end of the free hub. One should be able to put a finger in a rotate the internal face of the race to see if how well they rotate.
To access the bearings, on the outer face of the freehub (lock ring end) there is an inner retaining ring with two or three castellation's for a tool to fit to undo . The 2nd pic shows one of them amongst the dirt /grime.
Once this retainer is unscrewed the bearings should gently tap out form the other end using a suitable drift or should come out quite easily. The bearing code/part number is embossed on the plastic/rubber facing and are available for a quid or two on ebay or the likes or any online bearing shop.

Last edited:

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
Hi Nealh, I really don't know what I'm doing so thinking about just getting a new hub. Any ideas what type of hub it is or is that a 'needle in the haystack' type question ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The freehub body axle should be clean no grease is needed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For parts Halfrauds is ok or any LBS, take it in to one for a replacement or learn to replace the sealed bearings.
There are numerous types of freehub, you need a Shimano three pawl model 8/9 spd.

Do the three pawls on the end depress ok ? The pressed springs look a bit rusty so the pawls also may be so and could be sticking not releasing causing the hub to stick.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
Many thanks for the info. Yes the three prawls depress ok and seem functional. Sticking my finger in the hub, it does feel a bit notchy in places. I'll get a new one and play with rebuilding this one as a spare. Thanks again for the help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The pawls springs needs a bit of lube light grease, as I said the retaining ring has a notch in it, with flat blade driver it should undo ACW with a gentle tap to get it moving and the two sealed bearings and spacer should pop out.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I’m having the exact same problem did you solve the problem in the end?
Many Thanks
All you need is a can of 3-in-One oil to solve that problem. You have to get the oil in the back where the pawls are, so you might have to take the wheel off the bike, then the cassette off the free-hub to be able to get the oil in the right place.

Reactions: Vulcan65

Vulcan65

Just Joined
Jan 28, 2020
All you need is a can of 3-in-One oil to solve that problem. You have to get the oil in the back where the pawls are, so you might have to take the wheel off the bike, then the cassette off the free-hub to be able to get the oil in the right place.
Thanks I’ll give it a shot