Help! Not sure which folding bike to buy

Du55fpl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2022
Good Afternoon everyone,

I hope you are well, I’m new to the forum and I am looking at buying my first ever e bike overwhelmed with options.
I've researched and looked at lots and just can't make up my mind.

My use case:

• Something that folds and easy to use and live with to take to the park to cycle with my kids and fits in the boot of our Tiguan!

• Not to expensive. Cheap as possible ideally but something that will work well!

• I don’t commute wfh so this isn’t a factor at the moment anyway!

• Something to help me get out cycling with my kids as they get a little older currently 4 & 7!

Bikes I’m considering:

Decathlon btwin 500e folding
- can’t find much reviews or information on it really so not sure how good or bad it is the decathlon website has lots and there's good and bad!

My concern is the 24v andlow Ish range a big issue?

Would this be reliable easy to live with and use?

or do I pay the extra for the option below is it really that much better?

Fiido D11 - looks like a great option but costs more.

Is it a lot better or more reliable than the decathlon option?

I do like this a lot but am unsure if it’s worth the extra cost!!!!

Fiido D4S - This also looks appealing! The specs look good and it looks like a great hike the D11 appeals more due to being lighter.

Thanks in advance for your help!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I wouldn't want to sway your decision one way or the other, but the Fiido bikes you mention are better than the Decathlon at a technical level in nearly all respects.

I'm sure Decathlon sell a lot of their btwin 500e model, but both the D11/D4s bikes have larger capacity batteries for longer range, 36-volt higher torque motors for better hill climbing, and disc brakes vs rim being better for coming back down those hills too. Both the Fiido's weigh a little less too.

The only edge the Decathlon has that I can see is that it's available in a choice of colours, and more local service at a nearby store if you need that help.

No e-bike under £1000 is going to be perfect or ideal for everyone. With basic care and maintenance certainly the Fiidos seem quite robust and reliable (I have a D11), but as you say there's a lot of choice out there.

There's also Mycle (lower-cost version of the Estarli 20), and Woosh Rambletta worth considering, although both a tad more expensive than those you've mentioned.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
take a look at the £999 Woosh Rambletta. It's well equipped, lightweight, can take child seat, good range, good price and you can probably get it through your cycle to work scheme too.
Lots of folding bikes don't have low step. If you want to fit a child seat, you can't step through with the child in the seat.
Lots of folding bikes don't have high enough gearing, you would have to pedal like clappers to reach the speed limit. Not many folding bikes have a suspension seat post or an 8-speed cassette.
Lots of folding bikes don't come with a full sized chainguard, full sized mudguards, rack, lights, bell and propstand.
Lots of folding bikes don't have a carrying handle to let you lift the bike with one hand. 20kg is a a lot to lift but with a comfortable handle, you can do it.
The Rambletta have those nice little touches to make the bike performant, practical and a pleasure to ride.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta

Du55fpl

Sep 1, 2022
I wouldn't want to sway your decision one way or the other, but the Fiido bikes you mention are better than the Decathlon at a technical level in nearly all respects.

I'm sure Decathlon sell a lot of their btwin 500e model, but both the D11/D4s bikes have larger capacity batteries for longer range, 36-volt higher torque motors for better hill climbing, and disc brakes vs rim being better for coming back down those hills too. Both the Fiido's weigh a little less too.

The only edge the Decathlon has that I can see is that it's available in a choice of colours, and more local service at a nearby store if you need that help.

No e-bike under £1000 is going to be perfect or ideal for everyone. With basic care and maintenance certainly the Fiidos seem quite robust and reliable (I have a D11), but as you say there's a lot of choice out there.

There's also Mycle (lower-cost version of the Estarli 20), and Woosh Rambletta worth considering, although both a tad more expensive than those you've mentioned.
Thank you so much for that very helpful reply much appreciated and that you took the time to help me!

i think I will likely go down the route of a Fiido D11 as I also really like the design of this also and it seems to have everything I want and more!

where did you buy yours I’m looking at the fiido website but there’s also bicycleland that is an authorised U.K. seller for the brand.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
where did you buy yours I’m looking at the fiido website but there’s also bicycleland that is an authorised U.K. seller for the brand.
I bought mine directly from the Fiido website. It ships from their warehouse in Bath by (IIRC) a 48hr courier service. There are a handful of authorised UK resellers too, Bicycleland being one.

Reactions: Du55fpl

Du55fpl

Sep 1, 2022
I bought mine directly from the Fiido website. It ships from their warehouse in Bath by (IIRC) a 48hr courier service. There are a handful of authorised UK resellers too, Bicycleland being one.
Thanks again for coming back to me!

I have final question/concern..

I am watching some extra videos now and it does show that the handle bar height is not adjustable…

I’m 5’7 or so, so I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a big issue for me?I’m worried ifthe handle bars are slow and I’m going to be slouching over or is it generally not an issue and I’m just over thinking this?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Thanks again for coming back to me!

I have final question/concern..

I am watching some extra videos now and it does show that the handle bar height is not adjustable…

I’m 5’7 or so, so I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a big issue for me?I’m worried ifthe handle bars are slow and I’m going to be slouching over or is it generally not an issue and I’m just over thinking this?
I don't think you'll have any issue at 5'7. It's quite an upright riding position. I'm 5'10ish and could ride it fine, but I chose to add a 50mm riser bar which when rotated can add height or reach, or a bit of both depending on how you angle it. It's just preference to suit my own riding style.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Something else Dahon gets right, are telescopic handlebar posts on many of their bikes, including mine :cool:

the Rambletta's does look like it may be telescopic

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Something else Dahon gets right, are telescopic handlebar posts on many of their bikes, including mine :cool:
Most are telescopic - including Fiido's other bikes - but not the D11/D21. Possibly to help achieve that reduced 17kg overall bike weight?

A riser bar is I think a far better option as:

1) It can increase or reduce reach as well as add height

2) A carbon bar doesn't cost much more than aluminium but weighs a surprising amount less, which all helps when you're carrying the bike. IIRC, my carbon riser cost about £25.

3) If you're going to change the bar, you could also choose to make the bars wider or narrower depending upon your riding style and preference.

4) Using fixed flat or riser bars is what Brompton do too, isn't it? Why use a heavier adjustable stem when you can just pick a lighter-weight stem/bar that suits your needs perfectly?

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is it possible to cut the top off and fit something like this to the Fiido handlebar stem?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Is it possible to cut the top off and fit something like this to the Fiido handlebar stem?
There is an adjustable stem extender that fits the existing clamp and does the same job without modifying anything... but it's not that one. It's made for Brompton bikes: It fits the Fiido clamp too.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Du55fpl

Sep 1, 2022
There is an adjustable stem extender that fits the existing clamp and does the same job without modifying anything... but it's not that one. It's made for Brompton bikes: It fits the Fiido clamp too.
Thanks for all your help patience and advice much appreciated! Between your recommendations and review and a lot of YouTube reviews I decided on a Fiido D11 and ordered today looking forward to receiving it!!!

RiderJake

Sep 15, 2022

If the bike costs less than £1000, then it is possible not to bother much in the choice - right?