NOTICE THE MOTOR POWER CHANGES

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello
New to ebikes about 1 month but since I've been riding I don't seem to notice any difference in the power between TURBO AND ECO Modes which are the top and bottom of the ranges.
I tried to test out the system today by lifting up the rear wheel and hand peddling in the different mode settings. Can't say I see/feel any difference but then I'm not sure what I should be seeing.

I ride a Cube Acid with a Bosch crank motor that has Turbo, sport, tour eco and walk modes.
As I understand it the motor is a pedal assist which responds to my pedal effort and depending which mode I have selected, but so far I can't sense any changes between the modes.

I've checked the battery is charged, that the magnet is passing the sensor, I can see the mph registers on the display and pressing the walk button causes the bike to move.

So is there a simple way for me to do a static test that will show the motor working? I'm expecting to see the motor kick in and spin away while I hand pedal but it doesn't seem to show this.

Regards

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Bosch motors have torque sensing. If its working properly the bike will multiply any effort you put in; details vary with the different Bosch motors but approx: on eco it does 50% of the work you do, on turbo it does 250% or 300% of the work you do. If you don't put in any effort the motor won't either, no effortless cruising, just much reduced effort. You will notice a huge difference on the road, you won't generate much torque hand pedalling and might well not see much difference.

On cadence sensor bikes the different settings mean different current or different speed (depending on which bike); you would see the effect you expected in the different settings with hand pedalling.

~~~
Three control types: torque sensor, cadence sensor/current, cadence sensor/speed. Torque gives the most 'natural' feel, speed cadence gives a most unnatural kick (that some people want). All have their place.

Reactions: Markxc40

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
As sjpt says, its down to the torque sensing , you do need to put some effort in to the pedalling .I find Turbo to be OTT for anything but steep hills , which it deals with admirably . Another thing , the Bosch motor prefers to be spun quite fast , ideally with a pedalling cadence of 70 rpm plus, so if you are trying to pedal very slowly in a high gear , change down . It will take a little bit to get used to , but you will soon notice the difference and the long term life of the motor will be improved .

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Thanks for the explanation gents.
I think I have been expecting output for no or little input.
I had noticed that I seemed to need to change gear frequently when I thought that I would get extra oomph from the motor sensing I was having to push heavy on the pedals. This made me think I wasn't getting much help and it was the gear changing that was doing the assisting.
I probably need to get out and practice some more on a short varied terrain run.

Best

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Take it out on the flat somewhere, stick it in mid gear, and then cycle thru the assist levels from off to turbo.. You really should be able to detect a much greater assist level in the latter. As someone said, the assist levels are typically 50% to 250% boost, so you are either doing more than half the work (on eco) to less than a third (on turbo). Bosch won't let you do 'none'.

If you really can't detect any difference, either your bike has a problem, or you nicked your legs from Clark Kent.

• :D

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Doing as you suggested GSV3MiaC I went to a flat stretch of road.
I put it in mid gear range and peddled without the motor assist being on, ugh it was like moving a TANK.
I then switched on the motor, left it in the same gear position and selected TURBO and peddled away...……. zooooom it went like a F1 car.

Case proven.

Thanks all.