Now we are Three

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Three years now since I bought my first ebike. I hadn't ridden a bike for 30 years and although I had seen a few electrics about I didn't know anyone who owned one. I had looked at a few Powerbyke shoppers in a local mobility shop but they didn't allow test rides so that was that.

To cut a long story one Sunday I drove down to ETS, who had just opened their Bristol shop. After trying a few bikes I bought a Smarta LX8. Smarta is ETS's own brand. It is a fairly standard 36v step-through, but with an 8 speed Nexus hub. It cost, with kevlar tyres, about £1100, rather more than I had intended to spend.

Well, this bike is probably one of the best things I have ever bought. it has, quite literally, changed my way of life. It is now my main form of transport. I feel physically fitter than I have for years. The bike has covered about 9,500 miles, mainly on a 23 mile a day commute .

As for the bike, the words that come to mind are solid, reliable, comfortable.It has never failed to start. Other than a second battery and one new tyre, it has had only routine maintenance from ETS and the LBS. It has fallen over several times (occupied and not), been run into, been used as a sackbarrow, been ridden in rain, hail and through floods. It is not terribly fast, but can climb hills like a slightly overweight goat. (I believe a Smarta came second in the Bristol World championships hill climb).

On the downside, it is heavy and very difficult to pedal any distance with a flat battery; 4 mile is about my limit. The paintwork is not great, easily chipped. But above all it is noisy, thanks to a brushed front hub motor. Those of a respectable maturity will remember the sound of milk floats in the morning. Well, sometime my bike sound like the Co-op Dairy's annual outing, circa 1964. It is also not very nimble for pootling around the back streets, so i bought a folder for that.

Oh, and i have gained over a stone in weight, but still have a 32" waist. Not sure how that happened.:confused:

I have tried several other bikes in the last few years, some excellent (Raleigh Leeds), some not (Ebco Eagle), some just too big (all Kudos, circa 2011), a lot too expensive. But I haven't yet found any compelling reason to replace the Smarta - but I could be persuaded to swap the motor for something quieter.

Happy Birthday, Smarta

Bill

Attachments

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Interesting long term review Bill, just goes to show that you haven't got to go spending top dollar to get a bike that is a solid, reliable workhorse.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Got to say Bill my thoughts are the same as yours, the best thing I ever bought a used powabyke for £120 never let me down I still have it and then I bought my dream machine Alien Aurora. Love them both for different reasons.:D

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Bill,as you correctly pointed out the Kudos range you looked at in 2011 was not suitable for smaller height riders but the range has changed considerably this year....the Safari model with 43cm frame will suit 5' and above,the Secret is often bought by smaller persons and the new performance range (Cobra,Arriba,Tornado,Ibex) all have 46cm seat tube which will suit smaller riders.
KudosDave

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
My main ebike is a Smarta GT, and I would say the same things about mine that you have said about your LX8. The motor on mine is in the rear wheel, so the milk float noise wafts away behind me. As you say, the paint chips easily, which I found really annoying at first. On the other hand, the metal underneath is stainless steel, so it doesn't rust. The only things that have ever gone wrong with mine are:

• The bearings failed in the (folding) pedals after 1000 miles.

• The rain got to the electrics after a week of wet-weather touring. The bike would creep along under motor power without pedalling or throttle - but behaviour returned to normal when it dried out.

• The front lamp fell apart and vital plastic parts inside crumbled. (My bike came with a dynamo front hub, but I don't think you get that any more.)
Mine is four years old and I haven't done anywhere near as many miles as you have on yours. I'm still using the original battery. Its range is down to about half what it was when it was new: this is OK for pottering around town, but I wouldn't go touring on it again without first fitting a new battery.