NuVinci IHG

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Does anyone have any experience of using NuVinci internal hub gears in an ebike setup. Its a planetary gear system so infinitely variable so no clunking or slipping and was even used in some ready made ebikes. I am going to convert my second bike to electric but want to get away from derailleur this time. Shimano nexus is out because its disk brakes. Alfine 11 seems to be suspect and no way could i afford a Rohloff.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Disk brake adapter for Nexus is 49 Euro and is only available from one German company and they are always not available according to forums.
I dont understand most of the thread on efficiency or the graphs(losing it in old age) but The Alfine inter 8 seems the best bet(apart from the Rohloff). I am not sure about these test setups and would much prefer actual road tests BUT the Alfine seems more practical as its easily available, no import duty etc, can be serviced without return to manufacturer, spares available.Pity as i liked the idea of the NuVinci.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I have a Nuvinci N360 in one of my bikes. I would say that overall it brings more disadvantages than advantages. I fitted it in a crank-drive bike mainly to see if I could get more efficiency by keeping the motor at its most efficient RPM. The end result was that the crank motor and Nuvinci were about the same efficiency as a rear hub-motor with derailleur gears.

The main disadvantage is the weight. It's as heavy as a hub-motor, so you'd probably be better off using two hub-motors and no gears.

The other disadvantage is that it makes you very busy with gear-changing because you can always find a better gear. In the end, the gear shifter becomes like a throttle. You keep the motor running at the same speed and cadence, and use the gearing to adjust your speed.

I didn't notice any resistance or loss of efficiency when I rode it without power. I did one 25 mile journey without switching the motor on.

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Thanks for your input, its great that two people with the experience you both have, choose to help us less knowledgeable riders. I understand a little better now why everyone isn't using IGH's, and more importantly why i should give the idea a miss. Basically they don't like hills and where i live is hilly and nothing is better than derailleur for climbing hills, so you have saved me a pile of dosh! Have a virtual pint on me and my Thanks.:)

T42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2017
Rh17
FWIW,
Both my wife and I run Nuvinci hub gears. She has been riding hers for almost 4 years and has 3500 miles on the clock, with no problems or any maintenance issues.
Last year I purchased a Reise and Muller with a Nuvinci hub based on my wifes experience. I have ridden just over 1000 miles with no problems thus far.
For us both, this is a 'no brainer' with its ease of use and virtually infinite easy gearing, coupled with a Gates carbon belt on mine makes life easier for me.
The hub may well be less efficient than some other gearing hubs on the market, but just think of the extra workout you'll get and the extra miles you'll ride due to lack of maintenance. ;)

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
@T42 I am glad that you are both happy with your Nuvinci's and i have to agree that the infinitely variability, no clunking gear changes was what attracted me to Nuvinci. What type of terrain do you ride? in my case its hills north,south, east, and west of me, most of them big hills although fairly short(half mile typically) and one of the reasons i have gone electric, age is the other. Reliability seems to be an issue for some Nuvinci owners, mainly fluid leaking, and no way to repair it without sending it back to America(expensive). I am a tinkerer(NOT tinker as in Irish:eek:) and actually like the maintenance side of things especially the ability to fix things myself if things go wrong but i do also appreciate things that just work, its just if they do go wrong i have a need to be able to repair it myself and with the Nuvinci that just isn't possible. Finally as with most American products its cost effective in America but prohibitively expensive in England, if I lived in the states i wouldn't hesitate to try one out especially if it was a flatish state. So after doing the research i have decided to stick with derailleur for the time being. Oh one more thing Nuvinci's seem to be big heavy beasts and more weight i really don't need(im waiting for a 15 amp 36v AA sized battery to be developed lol). :D:D:D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You've just reminded me of another negative point. They don't like to change gear under heavy load, like when you're going uphill and need to change down. That wouldn't be such a problem on a non-electric bike or one with a front motor, but the torque from a crank-drive is too much to let it change. You have to let off the power to change in those circumstances, which isn't what you want to do. A gear-change sensor that cuts the motor when you change gear might be a help, but AFAIK, no OEM bikes have one with a Nuvinci yet.

The Nuvinci's gear-change cables are a bit on the thin side, which always worried me. One time, I pulled the shifter so hard in an attempt to shift, when going up a hill, that the cable end-stop slipped, so I couldn't shift at all until I got home and reset it.

T42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2017
Rh17
Hi,
My wifes commute is mainly flat (although I'm fairly sure that she would disagree).
For me the use is mixed. We live near the South Downs N.P and I will cycle along the ridge as much as I can, as I really enjoy the benefits of being off road.
I have to cycle up Ditchling Beacon to get there and the Nuvinci and I have speed past many lycra clad people.(I just love it! !!!)
Other than that it's back roads, bridle paths and shopping trips.
If the hub were to cause problems then that will be a bridge to cross when we get there.
Like you 'I love a tinker' coming from an electrical/mechanical engineering background and as in my earlier post was able to appreciate the Nuvinci for all it is.
At the moment it's a blast and can't get enough.
We make choices based on the info and cash we have at the time and live with the consequences. I hope your choice is an enjoyable one and that you have many happy and safe miles as a consequence.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Bike discount have alfine 11spd hub for €260. Only rated for 50nm middrives ie Bosch Active or Shimano steps.