Nyon software update April 2016

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
After the update I thought I'd give it a try. After a few miles I set the sat-nav to home but continued my ride.

As expected it kept trying to get me to turn around, as I ride a large circular route it ought to pick up and indeed it did, for a while.

It still doesn't understand the ancient carriage track through the forest but I could see on the map where I was going but instructions had ceased.

One mile from home it said navigation has stopped as I had gone to far from the intended route. I re-set it and went home.

Eventually the route showed on my computer, exactly where I had gone, it did seem to stitch it together. So it is working much better than before but I don't think I could rely on to find my way. Certainly it's incomparable to car sat-navs.

At least it's now talking to my computer so that's good.

Thanasis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 2, 2016
Athens, Greece
Hi all,

My experience with Nyon has been painful, too - to my pocket mostly and the level & quality of customer service from Bosch side. Overall, I think it's not a bad system but even though I have the latest update, v.2.4, there are still two issues:

a) The Nyon GPS
positioning has worked ok wherever I've been so far - not many places; usually I ride within the city without dense foliage or tall buildings. The problem is that the GPS data logging does not work ok due to electronic interference (the problem starts and ends at certain points of my routes, see details here: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/nyon-hanging-and-or-teleportation-effect.24423/) and Bosch has actually admitted that but they probably want to do nothing about it. For starters, they proposed to reset my Nyon (!) and take it to a dealer. Of course the dealer can do nothing, this is either software or hardware or both and I already have the latest version of both.

b) Even after a full bike (not Nyon) battery charge, Nyon reports random numbers of charge level, like 13% or 20% when I first insert the Nyon to its cradle. Nevertheless, when I start the ride, that number is corrected. I consider this relatively minor.

I'm going to file for the Online Dispute Resolution of the European Commission to start with, as Bosch doesn't seem to care much of my complaints. If I spent ~400GBP for that, I can definitely spend some time for the filing. I propose you do the same or something similar if you share my anger.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Mine now communicates with my computer, but only a little bit. It accurately records my journey for about thirteen miles then assumes it's the journey's end although I never stopped riding.

Think of a four letter word beginning with c and ending in p. That's what it is.

Thanasis

Jun 2, 2016
Athens, Greece
Mine now communicates with my computer, but only a little bit. It accurately records my journey for about thirteen miles then assumes it's the journey's end although I never stopped riding.

Think of a four letter word beginning with c and ending in p. That's what it is.
Couldn't agree more, but we need to do something about it, right?

Don't know about you, I'm going to do whatever it takes, this is simply ridiculous.

Thanasis

Jun 2, 2016
Athens, Greece
I would happily do that if they would accept to take it for a full refund. But the problem is not the bike or the Bosch engine - I like that and I want that. I want them to fix the problem with Nyon. If they sell it and advertise that it does things it doesn't, they are obliged to fix it or compensate you for it, right?

I would happily do that if they would accept to take it for a full refund. But the problem is not the bike or the Bosch engine - I like that and I want that. I want them to fix the problem with Nyon. If they sell it and advertise that it does things it doesn't, they are obliged to fix it or compensate you for it, right?
Yes, its not a difficult problem. Return the Nyon to the store, get them to give an Intuvia or Nyon, whilst yours is sent off to be fixed.

Take a box of cakes with you into the store and they will help you with anything, go in all guns blazing and they won't be so helpful.

Thanasis

Jun 2, 2016
Athens, Greece
Yes, its not a difficult problem. Return the Nyon to the store, get them to give an Intuvia or Nyon, whilst yours is sent off to be fixed.

Take a box of cakes with you into the store and they will help you with anything, go in all guns blazing and they won't be so helpful.
No, I don't have any issue with my dealer, my issues are with Bosch. My dealer has contacted Bosch and tried to solve the problem and Bosch simply told him "yes, we know the issue (meaning all Nyons are like that), we don't have a solution". I'm not in the mood for guns or anything near that. I would appreciate though not to underestimate my IQ when they say this to my dealer and when they ask me to "reset my Nyon".

By the way, I'm in Greece and I got the bike from Austria. So, I'd love to take cakes to my dealer but it's a bit hard to do so. :)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Thanasis,

Check out your consumer rights here:

http://europa.eu/eu-life/consumer-rights/index_en.htm

Also check out Austrian local consumer rights as some member states offer protection from Manufactures as well as dealers.

http://europakonsument.at/en/page/complaint-form

Last edited:
Reactions: Thanasis

Thanasis

Jun 2, 2016
Athens, Greece
ok, well I'm afraid you're a bit stuck then. Because your contract is with the dealer, not Bosch. You haven't bought anything from Bosch. You bought a bike from the shop, so if they are blaming someone else... I'm sorry but your problem is with the dealer.

They should solve this for you, if they are not.
I won't entirely agree with you. We're talking of a known manufacturer's issue. It's the same as car recalls. The factory is responsible for doing it, compensating and organizing it through the dealers. If you somehow find out your car is eligible for a recall and you don't get it, then you go after the maker, not the local dealer. In this case, Bosch knows and does not care - at least they don't seem they care.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
How many trees have you saved?

Reactions: clintyboy12

clintyboy12

Mar 25, 2016
I've got the Nyon and before I started using it did the update. Only issue I've had is that during a ride it loses smartphone connection every once in a while. It reconnects itself though after a short period. This could be the phone though as I've had other devices randomly disconnect! (Xperia z3 compact)
I did see that it is supposed to tell you when a text message comes in which it doesn't. As it won't show the content of the text message (health and safety gone mad!) I don't see it as a big deal, plus I have an android watch so read them on that (and respond).
The GPS tracking is pretty accurate and keeps up with Strava in terms of accuracy. It is annoying that you can only do key things and see all detail using the pc, but because it syncs via the smartphone I haven't had to connect it! I would say the Dev team have been unresponsive to my comments on the Play store.

In terms of the additional functionality (topo -battery limit) this IS a premium feature but it's pretty cool and only £4 so wasn't a big deal for me.

All in all I think it's a good unit, accompanying smartphone app needs work but overall I'm happy with it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk