OEM v Panasonic battery

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Powacycle battery (26v 10ah) 200w motor, but unsure whether to go with OEM or Panasonic. I'd like more range and I use throttle a lot due to a knee condition.

OEM seems like a good deal with less reduction in power discharge I'm told. What are your thoughts on both, expected range, affect on motor etc and which would you recommend?

Options are:

OEM - 10 ah, 13ah
Panasonic - 14ah, 17ah

Thanks in advance,

Urbanpuma

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
36v would be much better. It'll give 50% more torque. You'd need a new controller too.

You could get your battery re-celled for about £250 to £300, whichever way you want it.

Reactions: UrbanPuma

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
36v would be much better. It'll give 50% more torque. You'd need a new controller too.

You could get your battery re-celled for about £250 to £300, whichever way you want it.
I'm happy with 26v as it's already extremely nippy. Yes, the prices are very good for re-celling. Those details are from a quote I've received to have it re-celled. As the cells will be put into my existing case, am I right in thinking that the only thing that changes is the ah?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I'm happy with 26v as it's already extremely nippy. Yes, the prices are very good for re-celling. Those details are from a quote I've received to have it re-celled. As the cells will be put into my existing case, am I right in thinking that the only thing that changes is the ah? Also, does it matter if it's OEM or Panasonic?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Go for a re-cell so the case isn't scrap and adding to the recycling or rubbish tip.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Ok, thanks. Depending on whether the 17ah cells can fit in my case will it be compatible with my current controller ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The controller only cares about the voltage. the battery needs to be able to provide enough current for it. As yours is a low power bike, that shouldn't be a problem. To be sure, look at the label on the controller to see what the maximum current is - probably 14A or 15A. The battery needs to be able to provide that continuously, ideally with some headroom.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The new cells will be dimensionally the same cells as you already have , the improvement will be on internal capacity of these new cells.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
The controller only cares about the voltage. the battery needs to be able to provide enough current for it. As yours is a low power bike, that shouldn't be a problem. To be sure, look at the label on the controller to see what the maximum current is - probably 14A or 15A. The battery needs to be able to provide that continuously, ideally with some headroom.
It says 24v, but I can't see the amps - can you see it?

Attachments

Last edited:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
The new cells will be dimensionally the same cells as you already have , the improvement will be on internal capacity of these new cells.
The lower amps of both types hold 28 cells and the higher two hold 35. The shop said installation is space dependant for the larger amps

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery capacity is expressed in amp hours or watt hours and not amps, though amps can be important if one was to change controller.
The smaller battery capacities will have 4 cells welded in parallel then their will be in all 7 of these in series for 28 cells the other larger ones will be 5 x 7 to get 35.
It will depend on which battery you currently have the max capacity you can have if the smaller size is approx 13.8ah with 4 cells in parallel.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Battery capacity is expressed in amp hours or watt hours and not amps, though amps can be important if one was to change controller.
The smaller battery capacities will have 4 cells welded in parallel then their will be in all 7 of these in series for 28 cells the other larger ones will be 5 x 7 to get 35.
It will depend on which battery you currently have the max capacity you can have if the smaller size is approx 13.8ah with 4 cells in parallel.
Current battery is 26v 10 ah. What would you advise?

Attachments

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
It says 15A. It's the only non-Chinese writing on it.
Thanks, wasn't sure if that was it as there was some other writing in between. So, as it's 15a should I go for 17ah Panasonic battery, or should this be under as you said 15a is maximum current?

I use throttle mostly and average between 7-9 mph with occasional peddling. I use throttle starts too. Please advise as I don't want to damage my motor. Thanks

Also, approximately how much range will it provide?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just seen your pic of the battery it is currently optimising polymer soft pouches, fitting cylindrical cells is likely possible but how many it hold one doesn't know. 35 cells may well be possible in which case one can max out the capacity to 17.25/17.5ah using 3500mah cells.
What is the case size W & D and the length from the base to the joint line below the switch ?
Ebikebatteries will be able to do a nice job using cylindrical Lithium cells.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All modern cells will easily deal with 15a current draw from the controller, all that leaves you with is how much more you want top pay for capacity/ah. Ah only affects the range of the bike the more the better, ah as you go up the scale has no other direct relation to how the power is used with your controller. What you will find is the bike will hold on to the higher power for longer as voltage will also stay at a higher level for longer.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Ok great!

The battery dimensions are:
L = 25cm (base to joint)
W = 9cm
D = 7.5cm

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Also, I understand that the Panasonic looses more power as it discharges whereas the OEM stays flat, so do you think maybe this would be better, OEM 13ah?