Off topic - not electric but interesting all the same

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Interesting

Looks interesting, I doubt I'd buy one as it's probably too noisy and too fast for the UK, but I'd like to try one :)

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Looks interesting, the apperance reminds me of the TidalForce. Having a petrol engine definitely puts it into the motorcycle class in the UK and I can't imagine it getting insured etc..Plus you'd get the book thrown at you if caught riding one without it.

Is "[SIZE=-1]65 dB at a distance of 7.5m" high or low ?
[/SIZE]

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
The printer I sit 3 metres from at work was measured at 73db at 1 metre by our health and safety officer. I had complained about the noise of the thing. Unfortunately it doesn't breach H&S guidelines so I have to tolerate it. I have to ask my colleague opposite to repeat themselves if they speak to me when someone is printing.

I imagine then 65db is actually very quiet. Maybe it's quiet enough to be stealthy (apart from the highly visible front wheel). I reckon a clothes peg and a playing card brushing against the spokes would disguise the sound (come on, who didn't do that as a kid?) :)

My dishwasher is 44db and I often walk through the kitchen and think I forgot to put it on.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
If it is 65dB at 7.5m I wonder what it is at 1m i.e. while sat on the thing !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's the old Cyclemaster powered wheel all over again, though those were fitted in the back wheel of your own bike. I fitted and serviced these in the 1950s. Designed for the Dutch by German DKW engineers, they were 25 cc too.

Should be no problems if used as motor vehicles, all those old ones were registered, taxed and insured ok and had a rear number plate. MOT's didn't exist then and the motorcycle trade would have to do those now, should cause some head scratching and sharp intakes of breath.

Cyclemaster alone sold 100,000 units from UK production in 1952 alone, and there were other successful makes like Power-Pak and the BSA Winged Wheel, so the total on UK roads must have been in millions by the time sales sloped off in the late 1950s. Europe must have had a multiple of that.

If only electric bikes had a fraction of that success.

Nothing new under the sun as they say!

65 db is little bit noisier than the suitcase style quiet small generators from Honda and others, those around 55 to 60 db.

Last edited:

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Yes, 65dB at 7.5 metres. What's that about then? I'm sure you could say a jumbo jet is only 65dB at several hundred metres! I still wouldn't like to sit on one :)

I'm sure someone with a scientific mind can calculate the dB at 1 metre - anyone?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not a problem Paul, but practical illustrations are best, hence my generator quote since I'm sure you've seen those.

The Clarke illustrated below is 58 db at 7 metres and is very quiet standing alongside it.

The Honda EU10i is tops, 52 db at 7 metres and is extraordinarily quiet, just a purr when standing alongside it.

That 65 db on the cyclemotor shouldn't disturb a rider, it's a lot quieter than almost all the usual two strokes on the road, and certainly wouldn't disturb a pedestrian. Oddly enough, the 1950s Cyclemaster was by far the quietest of the cyclemotors at that time, and much quieter than two stroke motorbikes and scooters.

P.S. People have these small generators in boxings in the side of their caravans and they're not disturbing when sitting inside.

Last edited: