Oil bike after riding in heavy rain

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Just noticed rust on new chain and freewheel after last weeks downpour.
I used 3 in 1 oil and rag over the surface then rag take off excess today.
I wonder If I should of sprayed with WD 40 or other when I got home?
Any advice? Leashed it down here Friday.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I used to use 4 in 1, until @Nealh posted about Hypoid 90, which turns out is a far superior lubricant. Facilitates smoother gear changes. Furthermore it's hydrophobic - I think that means it's scared of water.

• :D
Reactions: FastFreddy2

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I am trying bio chainsaw oil with added liquid Vegetable Glycerin to thicken it. So far so good.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I am also trying rapeseed oil, liquid vegetable glycerin and Olive Oil Pomace.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I am also trying rapeseed oil, liquid vegetable glycerin and Olive Oil Pomace.
This is for your salad right, :D not for a chain?

I used to use Finish Line Cross Country Wet chain lube, but this stuff is much cheaper.

Anti-fling formula, that means it's so viscous you can almost put it on with a knife. If it's good enough for a chain saw chomping through wet wood, it's good enough for my bike chains.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just noticed rust on new chain and freewheel after last weeks downpour.
I used 3 in 1 oil and rag over the surface then rag take off excess today.
I wonder If I should of sprayed with WD 40 or other when I got home?
Any advice? Leashed it down here Friday.
Don't use WD40. 3 in 1 is good for gears and freewheels but not for chains. It's too thin. For chains, use hypoid 90 gear oil.

Reactions: Wayners

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
wd40 is a degreaser I never let the stuff anywhere near my bikes.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product. The first company to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product commercially was Convair, an aerospace contractor, to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I must be the odd one out. I used scottoiler Active fluid with their cycle oiler kits for years..even with full suspension MTBs. Give a squeeze on the rubbery 'squid' to put on water based fluid via the jockey wheel. Using every 12 miles or so, I never had a spot of rust on my chains, which kept clean and lasted much longer before stretching. Ditto the cogs. then Scottoiler pulled out of the cycle kits and recomended spraying their motorcycle based FS365 fluid over the whole frame and chain. They told me that the original yellow Active fluid and the blue FS365 were the same formula. So I have used the latter in my oiler kits ever since. One day the 'squids' will puncture and with no more spares are available I will just carry a small bottle around with me to apply from the spout. Since the FS365 can be had in 1lt. bottles, it lasts for ages. As an aside, I use Muc-Off Urban 3 step Protect and shine which really does seem to slow down crud sticking to the bike and put a shine on it. Got it from Lidl but not seen any lately. Something else you get to love and then the manufacturers change things!!

Related Articles

Advertisers