Oily chains

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Reading the Gtech adverts, I was struck by two phrases,
a 'No confusing gears'
b. 'No more oily chains'
They boast about these features supplied on their bikes. Of course this might be to 'cover up' the fact that their bike is poorly specced., and they try to suggest that the paring away of essentials is somehow or other a good thing.

So, does anybody find gears 'confusing?'
Are there any real advantages to having belt drive as opposed to a chain?
I never have any problems with my oily chain, which has minimum oil on it and I never get it on my legs etc.

Reactions: mdclembo

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I had the supplied chain break many times in the first few weeks on my Haibike, cheap enough to replace though. My current bike has the Gates toothed belt, I much prefer it. These should last longer than a chain without maintenance, I didn't oil a chain as I think it turns the muck it picks up into grinding paste. They come waxed when new and I would use wax as part of a maintenance plan.
Another advantage of a belt is if caught in the rain they will not rust.

Lack of gears is something else, your 'cover up' therory sounds about right.
Good marketing.
On another matter, I read on these pages it seem someone cannot get a battery for his gtech as they no longer do them. Makes you think dosn't it.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Many people do find gears confusing. They might not be regular users of this forum though. For lots of utility cyclists living in flat areas they are unnecessary: add a motor and they become unnecessary even with a few mild hills. Belts are cleaner and lower maintenance than chains.

I wouldn't ever have chosen a Gtech, but they are just right for some people (if a bit overpriced). It does seem they have screwed things up with battery replacement though.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Glad i never went with a gtech but i was interested by the belt drive. i have had two hub kits in the past couple of years and very rarely use my gears, only time i have used them in two years is when i had issues with my display. So im glad that i have them at the end of the day just in case e-bike becomes a pushbike.

Reactions: mike killay

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Glad i never went with a gtech but i was interested by the belt drive. i have had two hub kits in the past couple of years and very rarely use my gears, only time i have used them in two years is when i had issues with my display. So im glad that i have them at the end of the day just in case e-bike becomes a pushbike.
Well, if you lived where I do you would need plenty of gears. The thought of a bike without any at all is alarming.
That I suppose is why I have never seen a Gtech bike.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Mike Killay - Im with you on his one not had a problem in the 20 plus yrs with my chain

at all although once in a while ill oil it and especially if not on bike as much over Winter time ..I think its much also a money racket with the many things bike companies bring out

instance them batteries for on e bikes are way over the top priced as are e bikes although some wont be happy I said this I don't care after all its a bike we are buying or thinking off and not a motor bike at all ..

Reactions: mike killay

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yet many people handle smart phones perfectly well.
Different people are good at different things. I'm told there were even people who could work VHS players; I don't think I ever met one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Different people are good at different things. I'm told there were even people who could work VHS players; I don't think I ever met one.
I'm one and still have one under the tv.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got a akai s5000 sampler with a upgraded cf reader to replace the floppy drive and use it now and then.

the instruction manual is the size of a phone book it took me weeks just to get a sample in it and make it trigger from a keyboard on the right midi channel.

lcd still works tho and all the buttons ;)