Old, fat, and a bit infirm - which leccy bike should I get?

Creo

Just Joined
Dec 27, 2015
Hello,

Please excuse my first post being a request for advice, but I suspect I am not the first, nor will be the last.

My wife who is fit wishes us to go cycling together. I cannot cycle due to a fused ankle and back problems, just cant make the physical motion required to peddle. I did suggest we get a tandem and she peddles it while I snooze, but that idea (rightly) fell on stoney ground.
So we have the idea of me getting an electric bike while she gets a traditional bike. I have been searching around the net and am now more confused than ever, so I wonder if one of you good people could point me in the right direction.

Requirements:
Must be able to carry 16 stone.
Suspension due to afore-mentioned bad back.
Step through.
Simple gear system, ideally no gears to operate, i.e. automatic.
Probably 36v for a bit more range.
Must be hill viable.
Needs to require none or very little peddling at all. I can probably manage a few turns of the peddles but wouldnt be able to power it even on flat ground.
Range: As it will be on power during near all the time of use I dont expect a good range, of course more is better but just being able to get out and about even if its not far will give me some freedom I currently lack.
The other things I probably need to know and pecify but at this time dont know them yet.
Budget: I guess what I will need will be well over £1000, would rather keep it towards 1k than 2 k, but the right bike is most important.

UPDATE: Apparently I need a speed sensor, not torque sensor, so add that to the list!

Many, many thanks to anyone that cares to advise and help.

Creo

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Ok...you need a step through,you need a powerful motor,it doesn't want to be too heavy to move it around,it should be speed sensor not torque sensor,ideally a full speed throttle(that may be difficult after January 1,2016)
My Kudos Sonata would do that job,normal price £1395.00,an ex demo bike is on special offer at £103300,the BPM motor has very high low speed torque,please look on kudos cycles website and elsewhere on this forum.
To be avoided....any crank sensor bike because the torque sensor requires you to input too much power to get the power out.
Anything weighing more than 25 kgs,you would find it heavy to lug about.
Anything with an SWX type motor,it won't have enough grunt up the hills.
Hope that helps.
KudosDave

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You will struggle to get full suspension AND step through. Instead, go for big tyres (schwalbe big apple/fat franks), suspension seat post, or both.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: jonathan75

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I think you're into 48v (kit) territory. Comfortwise you don't need suspension - just balloon tyres (Schwalbe Big Apples) or so - and a bike which will take them. Probably a suspension seat post. A nice Selle Royal Respiro relaxed or moderate seat (depending on whether you want to sit upright or lean forward).

Electricswise Eclipse do 48v batteries in the UK with a good warranty, or there's a company getting noticed, Insat International. You need a battery with a high discharge fuse. Motorwise you need something either grunty like a BPM or (180mm) CST. Perhaps a Xiongda 2-speed would do it (48v of course).

There are actually a wealth of motors labelled over 250w which would be suitable including the BBS02 750w (according to others here), the Q128H, and a bunch of others, however, unless you're into getting your bike single-vehicle-approved, I can't recommend, on legal grounds.

As for throttles post-1-Jan-2016 your only issue afaic is whether a firm you were to buy a completed bike from, would honour a warranty, where you'd added a £5 throttle on after buying the bike. You can agree this with them in advance. The law aspect is I think not to be worried about. I think nobody is going to prosecute you for having a throttle.

Good luck

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
P.S. if I had my choice of stepthrough, money not being an object, I think I'd get a modern Dutch one (although this is showroom-window talk, I've never actually ridden one). https://www.batavus.nl/stadsfietsen. It's probably more sensible to get something for £50 on eBay.

Wooshbikes can recommend ebike mechanics who'll assemble your kit onto your bike for £100 if you want.

Don't be afraid of buying a plain motor and getting it assembled by a wheelbuilder. You'll pay more just for the extra postage, to get a bad build sent from China.

Make sure the motor is no more than 230rpm max, pref 205rpm or lower, as not pedalling means you'll need the extra torque which comes from a lower RPM. Also you'll need a controller labelled at least 450w, although no more than maybe 25a (unless your LCD display can restrict the amps on a 30a)

Last edited:

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Why do you think the OP needs 48v?
Because outside of flat countries, even with a powerful motor, 36v really requires a lot of pedalling input to get up substantial hills and 48v you might get away with none although even then I'm not sure.

The OP wrote: "I cannot cycle due to a fused ankle and back problems, just cant make the physical motion required to peddle."

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Because outside of flat countries, even with a powerful motor, 36v really requires a lot of pedalling input to get up substantial hills and 48v you might get away with none although even then I'm not sure.

The OP wrote: "I cannot cycle due to a fused ankle and back problems, just cant make the physical motion required to peddle."
36v will be fine. For hills, you need lots of torque. There are plenty of Torquey 36v systems, the BPM/CST being good examples.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
36v will be fine. For hills, you need lots of torque. There are plenty of Torquey 36v systems, the BPM/CST being good examples.
My CST 180mm/14.5ah battery setup struggles on hills at 36v without pedalling, even with a 23a KU93, it is 270rpm but I don't think that explains everything. I did a whole thread on it at endless sphere and the consensus was one needs 48v & i think they were right.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
My CST 180mm/14.5ah battery setup struggles on hills at 36v without pedalling, even with a 23a KU93, it is 270rpm but I don't think that explains everything. I did a whole thread on it at endless sphere and the consensus was one needs 48v & i think they were right.
...or 30A? Or BPM at 201 rpm

Last edited:

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
...or 30A? Or BPM at 201 rpm
I agree it's vital to get one with a low RPM like 201.

Re the amps, according to D8veh above 20a doesn't give extra torque on a CST 250w at 36v (although in a later post he thought it might). However in any case, my battery, a good one, same that BMSB sell, has max continuous discharge of 20-25a, and I think its fuse is 30a. So really talking about operating at the limits of what the battery is capable of, likely to generate massive sag v quickly, and without the guarantee of extra torque. The fact my bike doesn't want to go up hills (and I'm 13 not 16 stone and pedal a bit) told me it was wrong to ask the battery to make it. At 48v the same hill requires amperage within the middle-to-upper part of the range the battery can tolerate, rather than at or above its maximum.

Seriously we're not talking a pedelec here, we're talking proper full ebike, for no pedalling, and I don't think 36v is really appropriate for that in a hilly country. Even 48v is pushing it.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I agree it's vital to get one with a low RPM like 201.

Re the amps, according to D8veh above 20a doesn't give extra torque on a CST 250w at 36v (although in a later post he thought it might). However in any case, my battery, a good one, same that BMSB sell, has max continuous discharge of 20-25a, and I think its fuse is 30a. So really talking about operating at the limits of what the battery is capable of, likely to generate massive sag v quickly, and without the guarantee of extra torque. The fact my bike doesn't want to go up hills (and I'm 13 not 16 stone and pedal a bit) told me it was wrong to ask the battery to make it. At 48v the same hill requires amperage within the middle-to-upper part of the range the battery can tolerate, rather than at or above its maximum.

Seriously we're not talking a pedelec here, we're talking proper full ebike, for no pedalling, and I don't think 36v is really appropriate for that in a hilly country. Even 48v is pushing it.
I agree that in specific circumstances, with specific limitations (e.g. max current) the best option for increased power is to increase voltage. However, it does not follow that 48v is required for high torque.

I am concerned that the OP may go away with the impression that he must have a 48v machine, while most of the ready made bikes (including the Woosh Big Bear) are 36v.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathan75

Creo

Just Joined
Dec 27, 2015
Thank you for all your replies.

I am after something I can just buy, get on and ride, not have to modify or customise.

What is a "full ebike"? Is this something else?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thank you for all your replies.

I am after something I can just buy, get on and ride, not have to modify or customise.

What is a "full ebike"? Is this something else?
Creo, you should go and try some bikes in a hilly place.
We've adapted bikes to suit amputees so your issue can be overcome.
Where are you ?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Creo....there have been postings on this forum where members have said that they want an e-bike with a throttle because their pedalling days are over,however when they properly tried a Pedelec they found their legs were better than expected.
Try a BPM motored legal 36v bike,Kudos or Oxygen or KTM Panasonic...if that won't do your job then buy a proper legal electric motorbike....see my recent posting 'is it pedelec or an e-bike.
KudosDave

Creo

Just Joined
Dec 27, 2015
@ Juicy - I am down south, near Portsmouth in Hampshire.

I wont be able to pedal much. I cant keep one of my feet on the pedal as no movement in the ankle. Unless I was to strap it into the pedal, which I wont be doing for a host of reasons.

I will be using almost exclusively off the roads, but not bad terrain, so dont want to appear on some bike trail with a motorbike!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Have a look at our test ride page on our website. We do have a stockist near you. Only you will know if an e-bike will do the job you have in mind, after a test ride.