Oldman here

oldman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2013
Glyn Ceiriog N Wales
I'm new to E bikes. Up until August this year (2013) I was a fit road cyclist when a swelling appeared on my left knee; to cut the story short it turned out to be a very rare cancer for which I have had a major operation to remove the whole knee and the large quad muscle.
I now require help to choose an Ebike; depending on mobility of the knee that has been fitted with an "hinge" to enable rotation.
I have been through a lot of websites looking and found a few that tempt me but don't know enough about the equipment batteries power, out put etc. I think I may need throttle assist as well as pedal assist and the bike has to look like a bike; no Dutch type "step thrus ". I have ticked the BH e Motion Neo Race; Giant Roam (no throttle).
I'm 78yrs was fit enough to ride the Alps etc every holiday (8 weeks in France).
So I need your help

D

Deleted member 4366

I think you need a bike that uses speed control rather than torque control. The speed control bikes will give power regardless of how hard you pedal. The power is adjustable via a panel on the handlebars. The torque control bikes multiply your pedal power, so you can't pedal lightly on a hill. I think I'm right in saying that all bikes with throttles use speed control, which makes things easy for you.

BH Emotion don't seem very good with support, so I can't recommend them like I used to. It wouldn't be so bad if they were reliable, but there's been a few problems reported.

oldman

Dec 16, 2013
Glyn Ceiriog N Wales
Thanks all
At present I have a brace from thigh to ankle; without it I will fall over, but due for physio and rehab in January after which I will be fitted with a more versatile brace. I can bend the knee to approx 60 degrees but will need nearer 90 before I can turn pedals (physio will help). Haven't put my leg over a bike since August.
More suggestions for a bike will be welcome. I can buy a BH Neo Race from my local bike shop won't this help with back up?
I've been looking at the Diavelo Bagii Urban if stripped down a little could be lighter than 23kg and a nice looking bike

Last edited:

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Not really a bike suggestion, but I used pedal shortners from Highpath Engineering Highpath Engineering, EGGring chainrings and Pulse cycle components on an ordinary bike after I'd had 2 knee replacements, but I had 90 degree of flexion then. I believe the swing pedal is for more restricted movement. The good thing is you can gradually extend the length of the crank as your range of movement improves. Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can buy a BH Neo Race from my local bike shop won't this help with back up?
It depends whether they don't mind giving up their profits to rebuild your wheel at their expense when your spokes start breaking.

The Neo doesn't have a throttle, so how are you going to get started? You'd be much better off getting another bike that has a throttle. You need something like a Ezee Torque, which is a really nice bike to ride. I don't think you'll find a ready-made bike that looks like you want with a throttle. The alternative is to convert your own bike, or get someone to do it for you. Cyclezee can do it, and so can Xipi. There's also others springing up.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
At the moment I guess it is tricky to know how you'll get on. A good crank drive will give you an experience that is closest to a normal bike, but that might not suit your ability now. Or you may have to have an interim bike that is a step-through, hub drive and has a throttle.

It is difficult to say so early on after the surgery.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't see why a crank-drive would be suitable. Only the Woosh has a throttle. The Kudos Ibex has speed control,but I think they tookoff the throttle. Nearly all the others have torque control, so with power from only one leg, the power from the motor will be much reduced.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I didn't say a crank drive would be suitable, I said it will give you an experience that is closest to a normal bike. However in the future old man may find that a crank drive will work.

D

Deleted member 4366

I didn't say a crank drive would be suitable, I said it will give you an experience that is closest to a normal bike. However in the future old man may find that a crank drive will work.
Yes, but it would be better to save it for later. It'll only confuse him for now to bring in irrelevant facts. He's probably already been investigating a lot of delectable crank drives getting all the juices going only to find that he can't ride them.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
he probably can ride this CD:

oldman

Dec 16, 2013
Glyn Ceiriog N Wales
Not really a bike suggestion, but I used pedal shortners from Highpath Engineering Highpath Engineering, EGGring chainrings and Pulse cycle components on an ordinary bike after I'd had 2 knee replacements, but I had 90 degree of flexion then. I believe the swing pedal is for more restricted movement. The good thing is you can gradually extend the length of the crank as your range of movement improves. Hope this helps.

Thank you for this article; I will no doubt be making use of one of the devices, depending on the outcome of physio

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks but no thanks; it's a step thru, my roots in cycling go too far back to ride one whilst my clubmates are on "normal" shaped bikes
If your clubmates are the usual up their own fundament roadies, they will like your new ebike even less.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thanks but no thanks; it's a step thru, my roots in cycling go too far back to ride one whilst my clubmates are on "normal" shaped bikes
you need to put your body's needs first.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If you have a bike you like already I would seriously look at having a kit fitted, specify a throttle and PAS as your leg improves you may find holding the throttle on longer rides can be irritating. Your bike will probably be better than most ebikes equipment level, be lighter weight wise and be more accepted by your riding buddies.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

It depends whether they don't mind giving up their profits to rebuild your wheel at their expense when your spokes start breaking.

The Neo doesn't have a throttle, so how are you going to get started? You'd be much better off getting another bike that has a throttle. You need something like a Ezee Torque, which is a really nice bike to ride. I don't think you'll find a ready-made bike that looks like you want with a throttle. The alternative is to convert your own bike, or get someone to do it for you. Cyclezee can do it, and so can Xipi. There's also others springing up.
Hi Dave,

Just wanted to point out that eZee Sprint, which is available with diamond frame and stepthru, has the same electrics as the Torq, the main difference is 26" wheels and Nexus 8 speed hub gears.
Also the Forza RWD, shares the same electrics as the Torq and Sprint, the main difference is the Forza has a rear motor wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldman

Dec 16, 2013
Glyn Ceiriog N Wales
Hi Dave,

Just wanted to point out that eZee Sprint, which is available with diamond frame and stepthru, has the same electrics as the Torq, the main difference is 26" wheels and Nexus 8 speed hub gears.
Also the Forza RWD, shares the same electrics as the Torq and Sprint, the main difference is the Forza has a rear motor wheel.
Quite like the Torq. I take it has a throttle and pas. Opinions please on front or rear motor. I see that with a front motor a rear wheel puncture would be easier; but won't the steering be a little compromised?
Found the Commuter Kube. Anyone tried it?
The way my knee is able to bend after 2 months post op without physio I may be able to us PAS and have a throttle as back up. Intense physio in January

C

Cyclezee

Hi Oldman,

Yes, the Torq along with all eZee bikes has a throttle in addition to pas.

As for opinions on front or rear, there are many, here are just a few of the Pros & Cons

• front motor gives in effect 2 wheel drive, front electric & rear human.
  • rear motor has better traction on very loose surfaces
  • front motor steering is heavier, but most don't find it a problem
  • Punctures are easier to fix with a front motor

The full specification of the Torq and Forza can be seen via the following links:
eZee Torq Mk3 - electric bikes and conversion kits
eZee Forza Mk2 - electric bikes and conversion kits

Here is a link to a recent eZee retro-fit conversion http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bike-reviews/16330-cyclezee-kit-review.html#post200306

Finally, hope the physio goes well;)

C

Cyclezee

If you have a bike you like already I would seriously look at having a kit fitted, specify a throttle and PAS as your leg improves you may find holding the throttle on longer rides can be irritating. Your bike will probably be better than most ebikes equipment level, be lighter weight wise and be more accepted by your riding buddies.
Both eZee bikes and retro-fit conversion kits have a cruise cruise control setting which eliminates having to constantly hold the throttle in e-bike mode.