On-Guard Brute 8001 Bike Lock - thoughts?

Chipster79

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2019
My first ebike is arriving this week and I'm looking at getting a good lock. I've already got a chain lock but want a D-lock also. What are people's thoughts on the On-Guard Brute 8001? It's very cheap for what looks like a quality lock. Has decent reviews and high security ratings. I'm also considering the Kryptonite New York M18 or the ABUS Granit X-plus 540. My bike is £1500 so want the best out of the three.

zakventis

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
UK - Wales - Monmouth
I have been using the On-Guard Brute 8001 daily for a couple of years. The lock mechanism still works fine although one end cap fell off when I wasn't looking, the crossbar cover eventually came off and the 'double rubber' covering needed reinforcing with gaffer tape. But not bad for £20.

Reactions: Chipster79

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
My first ebike is arriving this week and I'm looking at getting a good lock. I've already got a chain lock but want a D-lock also. What are people's thoughts on the On-Guard Brute 8001? It's very cheap for what looks like a quality lock. Has decent reviews and high security ratings. I'm also considering the Kryptonite New York M18 or the ABUS Granit X-plus 540. My bike is £1500 so want the best out of the three.
I am not in a position to know all those locks and have also opened them in some way, so I cannot give you the answer you wish.
I would be surprised if anyone here has firsthand information on them all and breaking them.
My take is different, I see a good quality (hopefully) bike chain lock as only being part of the security.
I myself have two, one of them was designed mainly for motorbikes, front wheel to frame and the other is for the rear wheel to frame. Both have worked over the last 8.5 years.
But I really do not think that there is a chain made nowadays that a cutting disk in a reasonable battery powered tool, cannot be removed and very quickly.
One of these perhaps with a diamond metal cutting disk:-
Bosch GWS 18V-10 PC Professional.png
So I have used an alarm as well, one that is not only difficult to see as it looks just like a under sadlle rear light, but has several other uses and a remote control with a reasonable 433MHz range of around 30 feet.
Other remote controls that can be bought on ebay will "copy" yours, but only when they are pressed together, and will work over a greater distance....and they are also cheap!!!
Like this one:-
Bike 433MHz-Wireless-Auto-Remote-Control-Duplicator-Key-Fob_600x600.jpg
Alarm:-
There are many other similar designs that I have not myself tested.
This one is very simple to use, is also (obviously) a rear red light with 3 programs, a horn when underway, as well as a USB charged Alarm system, very sensitive to the slightest movement. Runs just as an alarm for about 3 weeks.
So theft prevention is not just one thing.
Some bike controller systems also allow you to remove the Bike LCD with no tools, so take it with you!!
I am sure others here will also have good suggestions, even to a different EXTRA second alarm, as the thief will have his hands full with cutting the lock AND dealing with two loud alarms....
I hope this has made you more aware of what to do. But carefully bought, you do not need to spend more that 50 UK pounds for everything!
regards
Andy

Reactions: Chipster79

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Then that's what you need:) by immovable object they mean a ground anchor set into concreate.
As above nothing stops a angle grinder and a cutting disc it just slows them down ;)
Make sure you take a photo of the new locks , showing gold standard logo and one of the bike locked up
I use 2 d locks and a chain

Chipster79

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2019
Is it insured if so what has insurance co asked for a lock
Yes it is insured with the AA. I can't find anything where it asks for any specific locks. It just says it has to be secured to a bike rack.

I am not in a position to know all those locks and have also opened them in some way, so I cannot give you the answer you wish.
I would be surprised if anyone here has firsthand information on them all and breaking them.
My take is different, I see a good quality (hopefully) bike chain lock as only being part of the security.
I myself have two, one of them was designed mainly for motorbikes, front wheel to frame and the other is for the rear wheel to frame. Both have worked over the last 8.5 years.
But I really do not think that there is a chain made nowadays that a cutting disk in a reasonable battery powered tool, cannot be removed and very quickly.
One of these perhaps with a diamond metal cutting disk:-

So I have used an alarm as well, one that is not only difficult to see as it looks just like a under sadlle rear light, but has several other uses and a remote control with a reasonable 433MHz range of around 30 feet.
Other remote controls that can be bought on ebay will "copy" yours, but only when they are pressed together, and will work over a greater distance....and they are also cheap!!!
Like this one:-

Alarm:-
There are many other similar designs that I have not myself tested.
This one is very simple to use, is also (obviously) a rear red light with 3 programs, a horn when underway, as well as a USB charged Alarm system, very sensitive to the slightest movement. Runs just as an alarm for about 3 weeks.
So theft prevention is not just one thing.
Some bike controller systems also allow you to remove the Bike LCD with no tools, so take it with you!!
I am sure others here will also have good suggestions, even to a different EXTRA second alarm, as the thief will have his hands full with cutting the lock AND dealing with two loud alarms....
I hope this has made you more aware of what to do. But carefully bought, you do not need to spend more that 50 UK pounds for everything!
regards
Andy
Thank you so much. That is very helpful.

James63

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2018
Good value locks. There are five duplicate keys and one has a little torch on it. I have a large Sold secure gold rated Pitbull model with cable and I double up with a gold rated Kryptonite lock.

Last edited: