on the beach

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Hello all, with all this glorious weather at the moment, and being retired and able to take advantage of it,
I have taken to riding along the shoreline, and the beach when the tide is out. I love being close to the water and always take my bathers so I can have a dip but never straying too far from my bike.
I 'm fully aware that the coast is a hazardous environment for the bike, what with the sand and salt water, but the question is, just how harmful do you think it is ? Any of you use your bikes at the beach or coastal paths or similar. I often wash it as best I can with plenty of water and fairy-liquid and a good rinse, but I wonder if I'm doing more long term and unseen damage.
I've seen plenty of 'fat-bikes' and 'beach-cruisers' on various sites, so I wonder if they are specially adapted to keep out the dust and sand and salt, or if they are built the same as mine but just have fat tyres . What's the general opinion here . I feel inclined to just keep doing it as I enjoy it so much, and hope the bike can cope. cheers,
crop3.JPG

Reactions: LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Difficult to say
What type of sand? Sand can vary from very fine (and therefore penetrating) to quite coarse grains.
I have ridden my bikes along a coastal path which gets very fine sand blown over it. OK if it has rained and the sand is damp but not very good in this very dry weather.
I have ridden my folder over stony beaches and the only trouble was when the derailleur hit a rock.
My guess is that as long as you clean the chain and cogs, the derailleur workings etc. you should be OK.
But, you know that riding on beaches is not the best of ideas.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Coast paths is one thing with a bit of dusty sand
But for me the salt water and sand is a big no on the beach
Especially on an electric bike
But as you have already said you know it’s bad and in the end it your choice
Definitely not for me thou

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Saline and batteries don't mix sure way to kill a battery very quickly if moisture gets inside, like wise electric contacts will suffer. Just keep well away from the surf and wet sand.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Fairy liquid also has a very high salt content (sodium chloride) and may not be the best thing to wash the bike with. A bike cleaner or car shampoo wound be kinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Thank you all for your replies and it's easy to see that taking my bike to the sea-shore is asking for trouble. I've only been riding for a little over a month and I'm still like a kid at Christmas, it's just that around where I live the best trails seem to lead to the water and the shore-line. I'm still too protective towards it to leave it somewhere close and walk, and to be honest it's being able to go on my bike that makes me want to go there in the first place.
I had no idea fairy liquid was harmful either, so thanks for the tip. cheers

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I had no idea fairy liquid was harmful either, so thanks for the tip. cheers
It terrible stuff for anything other than getting grease and dirt off the washing up
Some people use it for washing there cars as well but all it does is strips the polish off and leaves the paint surface unprotected:(

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't go to the beach, I live there :)

The only time I have had corrosion issues is when I left the bike at the GF's place. And she is further from the beach than me but closer to a tidal river so the air seems to be much more salt laden at her place. I mounted SKS mudguards on her bike and mine the same day and the stainless stays on hers are pitted while mine are like new after 2 years...

1. never ride an electric bike on the beach
2. don't wash it down to often, a nice coating of greasy gunk is protecting it from the salt laden air
3. store in a clean dry place

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Martin56

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2017
HP3
Just been to Northumberland and had a great seven mile ride along the beach. Nothing bad happened. Found the wet sand nearest the water was the best surface for riding on. The risk of salt water and sand damage are worth taking, there are no cars or lorries to worry about. We old farts need to live a little.

Reactions: onthe-edge

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Not the beach but close enough,
this is what remains of the old Hayling Island railway bridge, the line itself has been converted to the Hayling Billy bike trail running from Havant station to the south of Hayling. The road bridge is in the background. P1190304.JPG P1190303.JPG

super josh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2018
Not the beach but close enough,
this is what remains of the old Hayling Island railway bridge, the line itself has been converted to the Hayling Billy bike trail running from Havant station to the south of Hayling. The road bridge is in the background. View attachment 27031 View attachment 27032
That's a blast from the past for me as I used to stay in the Langstone and walk across the bridge every evening to the Ship Inn :D

Cheers,

Josh

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
That's a blast from the past for me as I used to stay in the Langstone and walk across the bridge every evening to the Ship Inn :D

Cheers,

Josh
Hi Josh welcome to the forum. That must of been in the summer I'm guessing. A short walk I know but in wet and windy conditions it's an absolute nightmare.

super josh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2018
Hi Josh welcome to the forum. That must of been in the summer I'm guessing. A short walk I know but in wet and windy conditions it's an absolute nightmare.
Actually not, was all year round (I was on secondment to our site in Portsmouth for about a year and a half) and you're right, it's quite bracing at time!!! Thanks for the welcome :D Reminds me that I must create a introduction post :)

Cheers,

Josh