One electric bike towing another?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
i dont suppose the front forks would slot onto the rear spindle of the towing bike ?
They could, I think ... rear forks are normally wider? ... unless its a fixed gear bike in which case they could be the same? .... but even if they were the same I'm not sure they would slot onto .... what you really need is a narrower rear with a axle that sticks out ... then it would! ...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I used to tow the kids with one of these. Can probably be modified to take a full size bike, especially if you remove the front wheel.

Trail-Gator Child Bike Tow Bar
Yes. I don't see why not. My next door neighbour has one ... I'll have a chat with him and see if he is game for some experimentation ... - just checked a uk supplier and someone HAS used one to join two adult bikes together to make a Tandem. So, as you say, remove the front wheel and QED.

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
simple solution, like it. Inspiration for an aa style bike recovery service perhaps? :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Well done Alan......ingenious.......you got there in the end ......well worth the sleepless nights :)

Lynda

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
OK Alan, it looks good but how does it work in practice?

I would have a few concerns with that set up with regards to how securely it is fastened on and the fact that it looks very top heavy making it easy to just fall over sidewards.

The proof is in the pudding so I think we need a video of this one.

It is still a really interesting project though but I think there must be a better way, that is cheap as well.

Steve

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
OK Alan, it looks good but how does it work in practice?

I would have a few concerns with that set up with regards to how securely it is fastened on and the fact that it looks very top heavy making it easy to just fall over sidewards.

The proof is in the pudding so I think we need a video of this one.

It is still a really interesting project though but I think there must be a better way, that is cheap as well.

Steve
Hi Steve, I have some video and photos. I have learned alot about towing is all I\ll say now ... as I am off to bed. My mission, which was to get a bike to my brother in Wales was accomplished! ... So, I am very happy about that .. both bikes survived the journey and I only have a few scratches ... more later...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Cant wait to hear the whole story Alan......sounds intrigueing.....
Lynda

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Cant wait to hear the whole story Alan......sounds intrigueing.....
Lynda
Its going to take a while to impart all the details! ... The main thing I should say is that I would not advise anyone else to try and do what I just did the way I did it! ... I should have thought about it alot more and consulted other people who have experience of towing. There was a perfomer or band in the 80's called Wreckless Eric ... well I'm affraid last weekend I was Wreckless Alan ... I was fortunate to complete the mission which was to deliver the Fast4ward to my brother. A happy ending ...

Here is some of the story in pictures:

Towpath - a set on Flickr

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Its going to take a while to impart all the details! ... The main thing I should say is that I would not advise anyone else to try and do what I just did the way I did it! ... I should have thought about it alot more and consulted other people who have experience of towing. There was a perfomer or band in the 80's called Wreckless Eric ... well I'm affraid last weekend I was Wreckless Alan ... I was fortunate to complete the mission which was to deliver the Fast4ward to my brother. A happy ending ...

But if you were Wreckless Alan, that's a good thing, no?

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
I can't wait to hear what happened. I could hardly believe that you were extending your delivery service range to over 100 miles - and towing at the same time - how many batteries would that need?

From the route inferred from the picture set I did wonder whether you were heading to Swindon and planning go from there by train, but after some failure of your bike - aborted at Newbury and then completed the delivery by train.

I want to do a pleasure journey round Kent over 6 days on my electric bike, following the route taken on horseback in the 1744 by my 5 greats grandfather. I shall be having motorised back up accompanying me. The horses then only did legs of up to about 20 miles in a day. Some of the inns where they stopped still survive. The account of the 1744 journey records what tipple they took at each inn.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
But if you were Wreckless Alan, that's a good thing, no?
If that home made hitch had failed or if I had lost control (which I was close to doing a number of times) then I could have hurt someone ...not just myself .. and that kind of wreckless is just bad.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

Good God Alan ...it sounds like you have been truly traumatised......told you to get a trailer......but thankfully, alls well that ends well :)
Lynda

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Good God Alan ...it sounds like you have been truly traumatised......told you to get a trailer......but thankfully, alls well that ends well :)
Lynda
Traumatised ... yes, I think you are probably right! ... if you have the stomach for it some video "highlights" are on the way! ... I was so excited when I started out from the office car park in Basingstoke that I forgot my helmut and goggles! ... as I ventured onto the main road as I went past Motorola there were a load of police vehicles in their car park. It may even have been a cycle proficiency event! ... can you image it! .. the police instructing youngsters in road safety and then suddenly this bloke flies past towing another bike uncontrolably! .. I just stuck my head down and hoped not to be spotted! ...

This is the video footage taken from a CARDVR camera mounted on the Fast4ward bike that I was trying to tow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFy6of-YT9k

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
If that home made hitch had failed or if I had lost control (which I was close to doing a number of times) then I could have hurt someone ...not just myself .. and that kind of wreckless is just bad.
Wreck - less , not reckless.
Whatever...
Your problems stemmed from the towed bike being too high at the front and you really needed a drawbar to take the wheel-less front axle at the same height as your towing bike. Such a contraption could be made QD for transfer between bikes of conventional frame layout.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Wreck - less , not reckless.
Whatever...
Your problems stemmed from the towed bike being too high at the front and you really needed a drawbar to take the wheel-less front axle at the same height as your towing bike. Such a contraption could be made QD for transfer between bikes of conventional frame layout.
Sorry Dave, my spelling and understanding of English is terrible. Yes! .. Wreckless is a good thing.
Perhaps we can create a list of do's and dont's ...
1) Don't have the towed bike too high at the front.
2)Don't have the towed bike heavier than the towing bike.
3)Do use a towing bike fit for the purpose.
4)If removing the front wheel of the towed bike don't lash it with the spokes.
5)Do leave room for panniers on the towing bike if the pannier rack is being used to mount the towing mechanism
6)if both bikes are to be used as the towing bike and the pannier rack is being used for mounting then make sure the pannier racks are interchangable or you have a hitch on both racks
7) ? ...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I was so excited when I started out from the office car park in Basingstoke that I forgot my helmut and goggles! ...

You MUST have been excited :)
Never seen any of your videos without your helmet......
How far did you actually travel ?
Bet you are relieved its all over.....

Lynda

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I was so excited when I started out from the office car park in Basingstoke that I forgot my helmut and goggles! ...

You MUST have been excited :)
Never seen any of your videos without your helmet......
How far did you actually travel ?
Bet you are relieved its all over.....

Lynda
My stats to Thatcham were: Dist:19.8 miles, Avg:7.5 mph, Max:20.5 mph, Duration:2:36:20
I dont have the stats for Thatcham to Reading but I suspect it was about 5 miles. So final stats would be something like: 25 miles, 7.5 mph, 20.5 mph, 3:10:00 ... the 20.5 max was reached on the tarmac between the office and the start of the canal at Lock 95 .. .Here is a map of the canal:

www.katrust.co.uk

I've had a range of feelings ... excitement, exhilaration, fright, disappointment, elation, relief, ...

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Its on my list of the next place I go to camp/cycle...really looking forward to it.
I will be starting from around Bradford on Avon....so the other end to you, it looks wonderful,
I love cycling alongside canals.
The canal at taunton/bridgewater, near me, is really interesting......I need to get a rack for my car so I can nip over there more often, rather than getting the m/home out.
Anyway Alan, glad you got back safely, no doubt you are already working on a safer mark II version.

Lynda