One Rule for Us another for the Police?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Just witnessed another police car in a bus lane again. No flashingl lights and it is one of several occassions it has happened. If it is an emergerncy fair enough but it does annoy me that we seem to work to different rules to them. This from the county where an officer is suing someone after being called out

BBC News - Norfolk police officer sues garage after trip on 999 call

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Re the trip .. The full circumstances will I suppose eventually come to light.

My take is that any property owner has a duty of care to protect the public that are lawfully (and for some strange reason unlawfully :rolleyes:) on their premises, I don't see any reason why a police officer shouldn't be able to rely upon the same duty of care that any member of the public is given.

Soooooo If the police offer is being an **** then let them hang them self, other wise let them make a claim for their losses.

Time will tell

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Police officers routinely breaking the rule of law without any permission or need is so common in the London metropolitan area that it's the rule rather than the exception. I've many examples over the years, even including them verbally aggressively supporting such behaviour when challenged.

Many of them really do believe they are above the law.

It validates the old saying that power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I thought it was universally accepted that all vassals of the Establishment have got a free get out of jail card, and exempt from all laws that apply to the plebs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought it was universally accepted that all vassals of the Establishment have got a free get out of jail card, and exempt from all laws that apply to the plebs.
Close to the truth at times!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Cross referencing this with the thread about Chris Huhne and how if he had been French, none of the court case would have followed, it is probably just as well to have this constant reminder from the Police as to how power corrupts.
At least, here, the odd cop in a bus lane etc. is nothing as serious as what goes on elsewhere.
British people are under no illusions because they can see visible evidence and are thus less likely to believe politicians lies.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
I wish I could retire at 50 with full pension :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From the police code of conduct:

7. Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I don`t know what you are all complaining about. This country has the best police force money can buy.
What's that old saying - in heaven the Police are British - the engineers German - the wine-makers French - the Tailors are Italian - the Army is American and the women are all Swedish.

Or something like that.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Here's the proper quote:

Heaven: where the police are British, the cooks French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian, and it is all organized and run by the Swiss.

Hell: where the police are German, the cooks British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss, and it is all organized and run by the Italians.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
What's that old saying - in heaven the Police are British - the engineers German - the wine-makers French - the Tailors are Italian - the Army is American and the women are all Swedish.

Or something like that.
The army is American......That would worry me a bit........

Advertisers