Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Osho

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2015
Bournemouth
80+ miles in eco. Problems of clacking motor resolved after software fix but I still have nagging doubts about the motor as sometimes it becomes relatively noisy but on other ocassions it reverts to 'normal'.

Last edited:

redalexx

Pedelecer
It would be interesting to know what proportion of the total production of this motor have broken down. And how many of the breakdowns are due to mechanical, electrical or software faults.
Found some Motor IDs

20.03.2015 #328841 (my last one)
27.09.2016 #588910 from a german forum member

• 557 days later were 260.069 additional motors produced
  • 557 days are ca. 80 weeks
  • 260.069 produced motors in 80 weeks are ca. 3.268 motors per week
  • 3.268 produced motors per week are 654 Motors per day (production 5 days a week)
Most failures are due to mechanical impacts. Some are due to electrical faults, i think its the lose of power.

vicwo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2009
Rotherham South Yorkshire
I have been under the impression that 50 cycles were THE UK agent for Kalkhoff, but I see other retailers offering their bikes. http://www.chestereroads.co.uk/kalkhoff-ebikes.html
Does anyone know how that fits on with 50 Cycles?

I alos know of Blazing saddles but they clearly state they work in conjunction with 50 cycles https://blazingsaddles.co.uk/what-we-sell/kalkhoff-electric-bikes/
Rightly or wrongly I'm picking up a Kalkhoff Compact tomorrow. That's got the impulse 2 motor. Its been imported by JE James Rotherham direct from the factory in Germany. Nothing to do with 50 cycles,
James cycles are busy making the whole top floor into a dedicated e bike room. I think my hips will click before the motor does ---- I hope

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Rightly or wrongly I'm picking up a Kalkhoff Compact tomorrow. That's got the impulse 2 motor. Its been imported by JE James Rotherham direct from the factory in Germany. Nothing to do with 50 cycles,
James cycles are busy making the whole top floor into a dedicated e bike room. I think my hips will click before the motor does ---- I hope
It makes no difference who you buy the Kalkhoff from because it is the Daum designed impulse 2 motor that is the problem.I have had three replaced on two different models,never again as i have left the brand.

Reactions: FotiosB

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Just read the thread from start to finish. Looks like I have had a lucky escape. I was interested in the Integrale 8, but was concerned about buying from 50 Cycles, so I contacted Kalkhoff and asked if there was anywhere other than 50 Cycles where I could buy a Kalkhoff from. Their list in reply only contained 50 Cycles dealerships, so I went to ARCC and bought a Moulton. Kalkhoff were always high on my list due to the battery size, but the link with 50 Cycles put me off.

I hope that everyone having problems with the Impulse 2 motor gets a solution to their satisfaction. You have my sympathy.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I have been under the impression that 50 cycles were THE UK agent for Kalkhoff, but I see other retailers offering their bikes. http://www.chestereroads.co.uk/kalkhoff-ebikes.html
Does anyone know how that fits on with 50 Cycles?

I alos know of Blazing saddles but they clearly state they work in conjunction with 50 cycles https://blazingsaddles.co.uk/what-we-sell/kalkhoff-electric-bikes/
They were the UK importers however Kalkhoff is now distributing direct to UK dealers.
http://www.cycle-trade.net/news/kalkhoff-goes-direct-in-the-uk/
That says from August 2017 however looks like it may have already started.

Reactions: 4bound

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
That's interesting because my email was received in September*

*Amended from October

Last edited:

redalexx

Pedelecer
Due to the high failure rate for the impulse2 motors, first I listet all failures in a google table, some of you know it.

Now I startet a new project to show and compare the reliability of the different middrive systems. I uploaded my new webpage www.pedelecmonitor.de this week and hope, lots of people will help and send their mileage and repairs.

Sorry in advance, i only installed the google website translator for you and the french people. Hope the information is clear and you understand everything.

The idea:
Register your bike, so that I know what type and since when you ride it.
Send your mileage with date either weekly, monthly, whenenver ...
Send your repairs with the date and the mileage and additional infos to the failure, if you know.

Thats it.
Monthly I will generate the statistics. And I hope we will reach a kumulative mileage of more than 100.000 mls this year.

Alex

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
This is very good Alex. It would be nice to see the models of the bikes as well, as I would be interested to see if 50Cycles Beat Bike Toba, which has the Impulse 2 motor will turn out to be a lemon, like the late Kalkhoff bikes did.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I've had my ProConnect 9G since January.
I've done 2900 miles, climbed 222,400ft = average 76ft per mile. That's quite hilly. Changed brake pads at 1400 miles and again 2800 miles.
I put a new chain on at 2200 miles. The cassette 11 tooth sprocket is now showing signs of wear.
I inspected the bike closely after getting the Kalkhoff 'clack' when I first got the bike. I found some bad burrs on the chainwheel which I filed off. I suspected it might have been catching when the chain line was at the extreme and the chain under load.Since then, It seems to be OK. Reading this thread gives me cause for trepidation but, so far so good.
I am a mere 10 stone so I don't suppose the system gets as much hammer as it would from a heavyweight.
I use it mainly in Eco mode, usually putting more power on uphill at the end of rides. Average trip around 45 to 50 miles.
It would be interesting to know what proportion of the total production of this motor have broken down. And how many of the breakdowns are due to mechanical, electrical or software faults.
I don't think I've been through all of the 13 lurid pages so I may have missed something.
The only thing stopping me buying a Kalkhoff is the poor reputation of the Impulse II motors which appears to be genuine fault, but I do not know of users with this fault. After sales service is poor though (every single report) and this is rather important after my problems with the Cyclamatic. .

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Could this thread be made sticky?

Reactions: 4bound

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The 2016 impulse motor has a good reliabilty record so the issues with the previous versions must have been resolved.

How true is this? The Beat Bike Toba are over £700 cheaper than (whilst working performance) inferior models by Raleigh etc. more than an expensive nuisance if they break down in the middle of nowhere.

Basically, it is one of these ebikes or none at all as I cannot afford the Raleigh ones. Looks like Toba or none at all.

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Hiring would certainly remove the risk of sorting out (potential) motor failures! At a cost of course.

With the Impulse 2 motor history I would be inclined to wait to see whether the v2.2 motor is an improvement. Let someone else take the risk.

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Is it still working?

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
How is 50 Cycles after sales service? Not good from three reports.

I expect to need to get the chain replaced and rim blocks replaced (That might be just buying them). I'd sooner pay somebody to replace the chain.

20% discount for 2016 models makes them affordable.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
How true is this? The Beat Bike Toba are over £700 cheaper than (whilst working performance) inferior models by Raleigh etc. more than an expensive nuisance if they break down in the middle of nowhere.

Basically, it is one of these ebikes or none at all as I cannot afford the Raleigh ones. Looks like Toba or none at all.
I wrote the post above this quote just before my 2016 motor broke down,also another point about the Kalkhoff integrales is that they are very heavy because of the overbuilt frame that has to be strong enough to withstand the strain of having a massive cutout where the battery fits,mine was almost 28kg.This realy kills the performance.