Help! Oops that fried it!!!

magoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2017
Ireland
so this morning while looking at adding lights to my build with aKt36 controller, I successfully managed to fry it. I was using a multi meter at the time. See photo

so now when I power up I get 03 info error.

anyone know how much damage I’ve done and what the fix might be.

feel a bit sick about it as I use the bike daily for my commute.
Appreciate any help to resolve.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Did you short the two probes together ?

03 is hall sensor error code, one will need to carry out motor hall checks to see that they switch between 0v & 5v. You are lucky as you have the block connectors so you can simply stuff your probe up the back of the connectors to get a reading.
Connect the battery and turn the bike on, use your probes on the controller hall connector block ( 6 wire sq block), check Black to red one should see about 5v.
Next probe the Black/Gnd wire and in turn the Red probe on Blue, Green & Yellow one should voltage switching between 0v & 5v as the wheel is slowly rotated ACW by hand, any that don't switch indicates a blown motor hall.

Last edited:

magoo

May 8, 2017
Ireland
Hi Nealh,

thanks for your reply. Yes, shorted the probes, feel so stupid but what’s done is done.

So,yes getting 5v on red/black, blue and green also responding but yellow just staying at 5v no change when rotating the wheel.

presume I’ve blown that one?

what do you think my options are please?

thanks

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Hi Nealh,

thanks for your reply. Yes, shorted the probes, feel so stupid but what’s done is done.

So,yes getting 5v on red/black, blue and green also responding but yellow just staying at 5v no change when rotating the wheel.

presume I’ve blown that one?

what do you think my options are please?

thanks
Yes, shorted the probes
Invest in some shrouded probes with only the very end of the tips exposed.
We have all done it at some time!:oops::oops:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor will need opening and the hall on the yellow needs replacing, there are three legs to each hall and they must be orientated as fitted so take a pic first.
SS41f bipolar halls on ebay about a quid or so.

magoo

May 8, 2017
Ireland
The motor will need opening and the hall on the yellow needs replacing, there are three legs to each hall and they must be orientated as fitted so take a pic first.
SS41f bipolar halls on ebay about a quid or so.
Brilliant, thanks for that. I’ll get ordering!