Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

4-lom

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2022
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy my first electric bike. I've wanted a super 73 for years but I'm not really wanting to splash out that kind of money yet.

I've seen red rocket bikes come up quite a bit on my research. Obviously they are just a generic bike imported from China. I've seen the same bike being sold under a couple of different names and heard some fairly negative reviews of the company. Which all may be why their price is lower than anyone else for a similar spect bike.

I'm just looking for some first hand opinions on the bike, importer, what support from them is like, any other suggestions for similar bikes or if I should just bite the bullet and save a bit more for a lower spec super 73 at first?

Attachments

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'll chime in an opinion although I've never heard of the brand... even though they seem to be Birmingham based.

I look at the price - £1300. Then deduct VAT, Import costs and transport, and a margin for a dealer/reseller. Then consider the labour involved in constructing quite a complex frame/fork (even though the materials may be cheap and labour may be Far Eastern). Then look at the components - Shimano gearing, Kenda tyres, Promax, Bafang, hydraulic brakes (even if unbranded)... none is high level and you wouldn't expect it to be at the price, but it's not too shabby either. It's a lot to offer for £1300.

What you're left with is what is often/supposed to be one of the most expensive components on any e-bike, the 48v battery... yet there isn't a lot of dosh left given what else you're getting. That Red Rocket only offer a 6 month warranty on it suggests to me they don't have a lot of faith in it either.

Cheap battery cells, 20mph, 29kg weight... will it even last 6 months?

Never judge a book by it's cover. But similarly there's no such thing as a free lunch. In my opinion, as an e-bike, it's more of a risk rather than a dependable form of transport.

What did the "negative" reviewers complain about?

4-lom

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2022
I'll chime in an opinion although I've never heard of the brand... even though they seem to be Birmingham based.

I look at the price - £1300. Then deduct VAT, Import costs and transport, and a margin for a dealer/reseller. Then consider the labour involved in constructing quite a complex frame/fork (even though the materials may be cheap and labour may be Far Eastern). Then look at the components - Shimano gearing, Kenda tyres, Promax, Bafang, hydraulic brakes (even if unbranded)... none is high level and you wouldn't expect it to be at the price, but it's not too shabby either. It's a lot to offer for £1300.

What you're left with is what is often/supposed to be one of the most expensive components on any e-bike, the 48v battery... yet there isn't a lot of dosh left given what else you're getting. That Red Rocket only offer a 6 month warranty on it suggests to me they don't have a lot of faith in it either.

Cheap battery cells, 20mph, 29kg weight... will it even last 6 months?

Never judge a book by it's cover. But similarly there's no such thing as a free lunch. In my opinion, as an e-bike, it's more of a risk rather than a dependable form of transport.

What did the "negative" reviewers complain about?
I think you're pretty right with that to be honest. Most of the reviews we're saying that bikes had fairly minor faults from factory and the importer was less than helpful in trying to resolve them.

I've just been suggested by a friend synch bikes. Baised very locally to me and seem to be a much better product overall. Bit more pricey but sounds like it would be worth it for a much higher quality product and better support + warenty

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Most of the reviews we're saying that bikes had fairly minor faults from factory and the importer was less than helpful in trying to resolve them.
There are a load of twats on Social Media who buy an electric bike for £600, de-restrict it to top 20+mph and ride on throttle only (which thrashes a battery, especially a cheaply-celled one), and around rough trails where even a professional MTB would have a hard time... then they're crying wolf and damning the maker when the spokes break, bearings fail, and the battery packs up! It's never occured to them to do any maintenance, like tightening spokes or stem bearings, or greasing hubs from time to time. A dealer isn't being paid to hold your hand, so you need to be prepared to get your own hands dirty. There's plenty of general help and advice from seasoned bike veterans here on this and other forums.

A lower cost far eastern bike is by definition made on a tight budget and sold in a box: It hasn't been prepared by a dealer/shop as all shop bought bikes usually are. That prep is down to the buyer. You would need to accept the compromises made and treat it accordingly, and that includes looking after it a bit better than an expensive more robust one. Even cheap Chinese e-bikes can be really good if you take time to prepare them, don't abuse them, and keep on top of the maintenance. If you feel you need a dealer on hand, buying from someone closer to you is often a good idea.

Before dismissing Red Rocket, I'd take a trip up to them in Birmingham, look at the bike in the flesh, ask if you can take one for a ride, and then make your own judgement.

Last edited: