Optibike

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Hi I have a Optibike 600T Electric Mountain bike and the batteries do not seem to be holding their charge. I have not charged them enough on a regular basis and I think that they might be damaged. If so, does anyone know of a place that I might get a deal on some new ones or anyone that services optibikes.

Cheers, geezee

Sorry, originally posted in wrong forum

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi I have a Optibike 600T Electric Mountain bike and the batteries do not seem to be holding their charge. I have not charged them enough on a regular basis and I think that they might be damaged. If so, does anyone know of a place that I might get a deal on some new ones or anyone that services optibikes.

Cheers, geezee

Sorry, originally posted in wrong forum
Hi geezee,

Off memory they have a 36v battery,
Think they offered a 13ah or 15ah option?

If you send me the battery I can test them and replace if necessary.

Regards
Martin

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Hi Martin, the batteries are; 36VNickel Metal Hydride (NiMH). Do you have any idea about replacement costs?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Martin, the batteries are; 36VNickel Metal Hydride (NiMH). Do you have any idea about replacement costs?
Hi,

With the NiMH batteries it's normally a case of a load of round cells taped together as a pack, therefore we often have to order in specific replacement battery's from the manufacturer.

Things were a lot easier with the old nicad battery's where we could measure up the 3 x 12v cells and solder in new ones. Keeping the original case.

We can source you a battery, unfortunately optibike are a US company, it can work out costly once you incorporate import duty etc into the cost.

But I will find out a price for you over the next day or so and drop you a PM

Also was yours the 13 or 15ah model?

Regards
Martin

Last edited:

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Having owned an optibike since 2008 , its not that easy to swap out the internal battery .
Mine is 22 amp lithium for the 850 w version.
Better to get Martin to make you up a rack mounted version . New 22 amp from opti is over £1500 + hazmat shipping at £500 . Ouch is the word

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
My bike has been in bits that many times I can remove the internal in 10 mins

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Thank you Martin and cakey.

They are 15amp

As cakey suggested Martin, could you change the 'internals' and if so what would be the price?

Cheers both

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thank you Martin and cakey.

They are 15amp

As cakey suggested Martin, could you change the 'internals' and if so what would be the price?

Cheers both
Hi,

It's a little hard without seeing the battery.
Ideally I need it in the workshop, so I can strip it. See what's in there, test it and possibly replace.
Like cakey said it may be hard to replace the internals if only that one manufacturer offers that battery for that particular model. I think cakey was suggesting a different battery all together mounted on a rack.
Could work out the cheaper option.

Like I say without stripping the battery I can't determine a cost.
The only real way I see us moving forward and ultimately getting your ebike on the road is for the battery to be in my hands...

Regards
Martin

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
It is possible to try and copy the internal, but it is a bespoke boulder corporation battery .
Taking the battery case apart is lets say not easy .
Your best bet is a rack mounted battery using the aux battery port in the relay board. I know it slightly defeats the looks , but otherwise you have a heavy paperweight.
Is it not charging or just failing to hold charge. How many lights on dash ?

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Looks like something a fighter plane engineer knocked up in the 60's.
A tin fascia and toggle buttons
Utilitytarian... ish, lol

If it had been yellow.. it could of been a black box