Orbea Gain in the rain

Andyn

Just Joined
Apr 30, 2019
I am now the proud owner of an Orbea Gain F30 which arrived last week. Just getting used to using the electric assistance and gears but the hills on my commute are so much less daunting! I’m keen to use the bike as much as possible but was wondering if others had experience of using theirs in the rain. I’ve tried to google information about how much water the bike will tolerate but I’m not having much luck. The information provided with the bike consists of a lot of nice pictures but very little written information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Andy

Reactions: LeighPing

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Most bikes can tolerate a lot of riding in the rain, but, obviously, there's always more risk than riding in the dry. The thing to be careful of is leaving your bike out in the rain after riding it. If you want to leave it outside, make sure you put it under cover.

One thing that will help a lot in the rain is a cape because it keeps the falling rain off al the electrics as well as off you.

• Useful

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
As silly as it might at first seem, clingfilm is your friend. :) It's inexpensive, waterproof, light, long, transparent, and flexibly wraps around batteries and connectors, cameras, and LCD panels to keep them as dry as you can under the circumstances. I always carry a ball of it in my saddlebags.. and an umbrella. :oops::eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nev

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I expect the umbrella comes in handy when you get a following wind! I've got a big can of Flit too if you want to borrow it.

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
I've had my Gain for over a year now and it's been used in both hot & cold, dry & pi**ing down and throughout the winter. It's also been strapped to the rack on the back of my car in some pretty inclement weather. The result, absolutely nothing to report about water ingress.

I do make sure the cap over the charging port is closed and I have Crud RaceGuard Mk3 race mudguards which must help a little, but so far so good and no ill effects.

• Informative

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
Good to hear your ‘Gains’ are performing well in all weathers Gents. Mine still has to reach 500 miles but to date I am very pleased with the bike. Orbea seem to have released a ‘well sorted ‘ product ?

Reactions: Artstu

Andyn

Just Joined
Apr 30, 2019
It’s really good to hear all the positives about using the bike in the rain. I love the bike and my commute is so much better. I still feel like I am getting exercise but without the dread of the hills. I plan to the use the bike as much as possible, even in poorer weather. A brilliant bike which is as good as I hoped it would be!

Reactions: Andy McNish

maldini

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2019
Thanks for the question and answers in this thread! Just received my Gain D31 today, and I plan to use it most days in the week, all year round, in Gothenburg (Sweden). Got slight worried when reading the manual, where's it recommended to not use it below 10 deg, and not in rain etc. I'll ignore the info, get some good mud guards and use it.

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
Okay, today I did a 50k sportive on my Gain and boy did the Gods give us a soaking. It rained from start to finish and I don't mean just a bit of drizzle, I mean Hollywood rain. You know the type, it looks like someone's standing above the actors with a watering can. In some places the floods across the roads were 25yrd long and so deep your feet actually went underwater when you had to pedel! That's an unpleasant experience I won't forget.

Anyway, how did it affect the Gain? Absolutely not a jot. Nothing, nil, zilch, sweet FA! It purred along perfectly.

A couple of other unrelated but inclement weather points. The Altura Nighvision Twilight Jacket is really good for the price (£32.00 brand new in fleabay). Yes, I my have felt a little 'damp' on the inside but considering it was lashing it down it kept the weather at bay and 2. Castelli Nanoflex bib shorts & leg warmers worked really well at bead up the water all things considered. BUT my Gore C5 GoreTex gloves were worse than useless. With a mile I felt the first damp patch, within 10miles they were sodden. Not good for what at list price are a £65.00 pair of gloves and come with the Gore-Tex name and logo. I only bought them in March in this was ther first wet weather test, they failed. They'll be going back as either faulty or unfit for purpose.

Last edited: