Orbea Katu E50

PhilMK42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 15, 2020
Bedford
Hi. Orbea Katu and Cube Kathmandu 45 owner here. Been riding 36 years, and discovered electricity back in July, quickly leading onto a second Cargo purchase in the way of a Katu e50. Just joined the forum.

First post if anyone’s got advice:

My Katu achieves about 23 miles, mid level assistance, mainly flat area in Herts. It’s a year old and the last owner claimed minimum use / charge cycles. Truth is I have no idea, bike condition dictates hes probably being truthful as it’s pretty mint.
It’s equipped with the bafang front hun, and the downtube mounted Phylion 36v / 11.6ah battery.

1. I’ve noticed the batteries are already difficult to source online, so what’s folks opinion of buying now, storing but maintaining indoors until current one expires? Halfords have the same model for their Carrera Vulcan model, but they use a sun tour control.

2. Will a same type, but not phylion, battery communicate with the ebikemotion control, or is that a non starter?

3. I see some recommendations for companies that rebuild the battery’s with quality cells on here, is that the best option when the time comes? (I’m assuming the bat management device remains the same therefore just a case of putting it back on upon rebuild?)

The bikes great, now using it for the majority of shopping trips and town trips.

thanks in advance, Phil

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Hi Phil- welcome.

As I understand it, you're thinking of "stockpiling" a spare battery now (that you don't presently need) because you're worried you won't be able to get one in the future?

Some things to consider:

a) Your existing battery may last longer than you think. There are guys on here with 6+ year old batteries.

b) Battery technology is moving on very quickly. If you buy a spare and store it, you might find it's obsolete based on point a

c) Storing batteries isn't great. You might find the cells have degraded before you ever need to use it....

To me, the only justification for a spare would be to increase the range of the bike

Reactions: PhilMK42

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one buys a spare, don't try and store molly coddle it. Use it intandem/ rotation with your current battery or you may need both if you go on a longer ride.
My 29e Dolphins are now into year seven.

PhilMK42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 15, 2020
Bedford
Thanks for the replies. When technology moves on, as it always will, how are folks with older bikes finding the search for a new battery? Or is refurbishment the only option left?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For generic battery operated bikes that don't use handshaking between components then any battery of the correct voltage will work or one can opt for a re-cell from the likes of eikebatteries.co.uk who provide top service.
Other bikes with handshaking you are at the mercy of genuine battery price & replacement though it might be possible to get them re - celled