Over 100kg and getting a Big Bear

Yidakipaul

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2014
Hi there as you see from title I'm on the large side also live on the coast and got a bit of a climb to get anywhere. So will the Woosh Big Bear be right only got £1000.
Cheers all.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's the best bike for under £1000.
Correction: it's not a real bike, you sit on it and yank up the throttle.
No need to pedal whatsoever for 50 miles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Get one while they're in stock. It seems that they sell quickly.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I'm thinking of getting one of those too. I'm vacillating between that and a Sirocco CD which will be a different experience. I like the idea of the CD and being able to lower the settings and do a lot more work, but I also like the idea of just cruising around on the BB and and putting in leg work when I please.

I live near a hilly coast too so want something that will get me up those steep hills from rocky coves with maybe a bit of help from me. I used to ride a road trainer for circuits of hilly Hertfordshire for many years as a way of staying fit and brought it with me when I moved here fifteen years ago. But I find I enjoy the hard work of grinding up hills less and less now and even on a MB with about an eighteen inch bottom gear it's a pain.

But I do want to do some of the work when I want to and have a bike which rides okay, so I wonder if the BB is that bike or is the CD might be better?

I've looked at some reviews but still can't quite work out how steep a hill it will climb without pedal input with a 13 stone rider? Does anyone know?

D

Deleted member 4366

You can always turn the power down on the Big Bear, but you can't turn it up on the CD.

Reactions: JohnCade

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
I've looked at some reviews but still can't quite work out how steep a hill it will climb without pedal input with a 13 stone rider? Does anyone know?
I was surprised to read in my bike's manual that they don't recommend you do that. To quote the manual "It is important to always use the pedals to assist on hills as use of throttle only can put too much strain on the motor."

I wonder, is that just being careful, or is it good advice on any ebike?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You can always turn the power down on the Big Bear, but you can't turn it up on the CD.
Yes that's true. I can't really try one as a live about 350 miles away from Southend though so will have to buy sight unseen. I read your review and I think it could carry you up those steep hill around Ironbridge unaided. Is that right?

The other bike which would suite me would be the Kudos Tourer but that has the less powerful motor. Pity they don't put the BPM in it. I did contact them and Woosh via their sites to ask for additional info but never had a reply....

Yidakipaul

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2014
Although I don't own a electric bike yet my understanding is that the motor is there for assistance while pedalling. I may have this wrong.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I was surprised to read in my bike's manual that they don't recommend you do that. To quote the manual "It is important to always use the pedals to assist on hills as use of throttle only can put too much strain on the motor."

Really? Do you have one then, and how do you like it?

I don't mind putting in some power and actually I want to, but I would be nice to know it did have that capability in reserve.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've heard that the latest batch of Big Bears have even more torque than the one I tried. According to the simulator at Ebikes.ca, you should be able to climb a 15% hill without pedalling and without harm to the motor as long as the hill isn't too long. You have about 20 minutes before the motor overheats. The controller may overheat first, but they normally have a temperature sensor to protect them.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Really? Do you have one then, and how do you like it?

I don't mind putting in some power and actually I want to, but I would be nice to know it did have that capability in reserve.

I have had a my Freego Eagle (not a BB, sorry if my post made it sound that way) for 3 days, and clocked up about 100km so far (that's a LOT for someone like me). To get up the worst hills around here, I start in a higher gear, but quickly shift down to the lowest gear, and pedal fast. So far, have always made it to the top of the hill still seated, i.e. haven't had to stand up in the stirrups to pedal hard enough yet.