Oversize frame, my options?

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi Guys and Gals,

My Cube Hybrid Pro is a little but big for me in the frame. It's a 29er. Am I correct in thinking changing the wheel size might just give me the inch less I need? Is this viable and or expensive?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah that will work depends what wheels you want price wise as can cost 3k plus a pair ;)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Changing wheel size could lower you a little, but the important features like reach and saddle height adjustment will stay the same. Smaller wheels or narrower tyres will mean less clearance between bottom of pedals and the road; that could be important depending how you ride.

You could try narrower (and hence shallower) 700c tyres on the same rim; 29er is just marketing speak for wide 700c; all 622 diameter for inside of tyre rim. If the rim really is wide the 700c tyres may not fit that well, and the narrower tyre will give a harder ride; again that may or may not be important depending how you use it.

If you changed to 26" wheels you could keep same kind of tyre width. A pair of wheels of quality similar to the originals would probably be around £100 (????). Then quite a bit of effort changing around the brakes etc, etc.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks both of you, much as I suspected. I think I will have to live with it then. It's not that big an issue, just tricky negotiating the anti motorcycle gates on the TPT. The gates I mean come up at 1 min 20 in the video

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Jon Matthews

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi Soundwave,

Cutting down the bars is on my todo list. I'm not too high on the bike, its when I get off the seat my massive balls are nearly touching the crossbar. :p:p:p. If I have to manouvre it can get a bit tricky off the saddle. It's not a big deal, but wished I'd not listened to the salesmans frame sizing advice.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bars are so wide they wont even fit past a door frame lol:eek:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
These motor cycle obstructions are a nuisance. We have got some near where I live and I came across a disabled guy on a scooter who was utterly flummoxed and could not get past.
As for frame size, last time that I was in Holland I noticed that many small people, particularly women were riding 28 inch wheels and always had to dismount if they stopped.
Horses, courses.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
These motor cycle obstructions are a nuisance. We have got some near where I live and I came across a disabled guy on a scooter who was utterly flummoxed and could not get past.
As for frame size, last time that I was in Holland I noticed that many small people, particularly women were riding 28 inch wheels and always had to dismount if they stopped.
Horses, courses.
DSCF0257_01.JPG

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The way I deal with those things is to dismount and rotate the bike onto it's rear wheel, so the bars float over the top. Quite a an achievement as I have a front hub. My wife has a Big Bear and that'e even worse. Wouldn't want to be cutting down the bars though, it will effect the handling.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I've cut the bars down to 600mm on my last three bikes and for me this has improved the handling. It is much easier to get through those gates and gives more clearance around trees on mtb routes. It also positions my hands relative to my shoulders in a more comfortable position when touring.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I'm going to have to live with the frame size I think. I went in to my garage tonight and found my pipe cutting tool which does 15 to 30 mm copper. My bars are 680 mm wide so I'm going to take 40 mm of each end, assuming I can get all the levers on before the bar tube diameter gets thicker towards the stem.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put them where you want first and then cut them be a good idea, my bars are 780mm lol

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks, noted, my mountain bikes are 760 mm and they seem way too wide also. I’ll do my ebike first and see how I get on.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I've done it tonight and cut exactly 40mm off each bar end. I might not get a chance to ride it until Saturday now, but it seems to be the right way to go for me.