Overtaking men on road bikes!

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Sorry, this will be a minor rant post, but I need to get this off my chest!

So, yesterday I was cycling home from work as normal. There were a couple of cyclists in front of me going quite slowly, and as I was approaching a busier part of the path I put in some leg-power and overtook them. Think I reached about 20mph, so perfectly normal.

A couple of hundred meters later, I heard one of the bikes close behind me. The cyclist pulled alongside, and here is the conversation:

"What is the speed limit on that electric bike?"

Me (politely) "16mph assisted, or faster with leg power! But it's a 25kg bicycle, so that is difficult!"

"It's just you were going quite fast there"

Me: "Not really. About 20mph."

"You're going quite fast now"

Me (pointing at my dash): "We are doing 16mph"

"Well it feels fast"

He then goes in front of me, and returns to his pedestrian pace! I was too tired and fed up to get into an argument, so followed him a couple of minutes until he turned another way.

I get the impression he was just upset that an eBike overtook him. He also didn't seem to grasp that an eBike can travel faster than 16mph like any other bike (providing you put in the leg power).

Anyone else encounter arseholes like that on their commute?

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and LeighPing

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Not really, in 2500 miles of commuting this year no-one has been unpleasant really.

Lots of other ebikes on my route though.
Lucky you! Guess it's just luck of the draw. Although I have been commuting by bike for 2 years as well, and that's the first such conversation.

Reactions: ttxela

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Anyone else encounter arseholes like that on their commute?
Quite regularly....

The last lycra clad loon almost gave himself a heart attack trying to power his way past me up a steady incline after I had floated past him a few minuted before.

Seeing him puffing and panting in my mirror just encouraged me to pull out my ecig, ready for his overtake....at which point I took a deep inhale and said "lovely day for it isnt it?"

He wasnt impressed, but I had a good chuckle :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've had roadies strain to pass me, then run out of steam and end up being in my way.

On occasion, I've passed again and dropped them properly, although I will more often ease up and let the silly bugger get on with it.

Not all roadies are the same, but there is a significant minority who are terribly worried about what other cyclists are doing.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
On my daily commute I never encounter super-duper-sporty guys. It's just fellow commuters like me.
From time to time I get a condescending stare, but no really rude stuff so far.

What happens relatively often is that if I overtake a fast paced guy he immediately starts following me and he remains there for a while, I guess just to go fast with less effort. Of course I have no issues with that!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I usually react by asking them stop. They are always ready for a row, I get off the bike and give it to them to try, all but one have done so so far. Without exception they have backed off and become very friendly. My favourite question on a country lane is "Would you rather have me pass you on an eBike or a 13 year old BMW X5?"

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Quite regularly....

The last lycra clad loon almost gave himself a heart attack trying to power his way past me up a steady incline after I had floated past him a few minuted before.

Seeing him puffing and panting in my mirror just encouraged me to pull out my ecig, ready for his overtake....at which point I took a deep inhale and said "lovely day for it isnt it?"

He wasnt impressed, but I had a good chuckle :)
Oh yeah, I get that a lot. It's quite amusing that they're doing about 12mph right until I pass them, then suddenly they're puffing away going twice as fast. It seems to be a damaged ego thing.

• :D
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
On my daily commute I never encounter super-duper-sporty guys. It's just fellow commuters like me.
From time to time I get a condescending stare, but no really rude stuff so far.

What happens relatively often is that if I overtake a fast paced guy he immediately starts following me and he remains there for a while, I guess just to go fast with less effort. Of course I have no issues with that!
I don't mind it except for if they're right on your rear wheel, which is pretty ridiculous and frankly dangerous (what if I have to brake?).

• Informative

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I usually react by asking them stop. They are always ready for a row, I get off the bike and give it to them to try, all but one have done so so far. Without exception they have backed off and become very friendly. My favourite question on a country lane is "Would you rather have me pass you on an eBike or a 13 year old BMW X5?"
Did think about asking him that. But it was a fairly busy pathway and besides... he was clearly an *******, so could he be trusted with my bike?

A minute or so further down the path he was stuck behind two pedestrians, and rather than waiting a few seconds for a space asked them (adopt whiny voice for added effect):

"Excuse me, can you get out of the way please!"

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no one talks to me. they dont get a chance too ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Max Voltage Input: 360 Volts
Integrated Sensors: Encoder, temperature
Rated Torque: 280 Lb Ft Peak (w/150kW controller)
Rated Power: 210 HP Peak (w/150kW controller)
Max RPM: 10,000

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

I had almost exactly the same experience. I was riding through the town park on the main cycle route on my way to the local electric bike shop. The whole journey is only 5 miles and slight downhill all the way. I ride my road bike most of the time, except when I want to go shopping on the way home, like this time, but to keep my fitness up, I pedal without power whenever I can.

So here i was going down the cycle route at about 15 mph, when I came across about 4 people on bikes doing about 10 mph spread across the whole path. I rang my bell a couple of times and shouted "coming past", which had them moving to the side, so, to cause them the least inconvenience, I started pedalling hard to get past them as quickly as possible. Once up to speed, I eased off a bit, but I was still doing about 18 mph. Next thing, one of the the guys is alongside me saying, "How fast does your illegal electric bike go then?". I told him" not so fast when it's switched off, like now" and pointed to the blank LCD. I'm not sure whether he understood that, but the rest of his gang were left behind, so he slowed down again to let them catch up.