Oxydrive problems

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011

Just deciding whether to try and repair my oxydrive kit or start fresh. I have owned it for a number of years but have only done 20 miles on it due mainly to having a long term health condition.

Cheers, Zack

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The controller case if you have the broken bits can be repaired by suing a fibreglass repair kit using thin GSM matting material kits, fibreglass is really simple to use if you plan what you are doing.
Cut the glass matt to size required, a braid the plastic it is to go on to with 60 grit ali oxide sand paper. Pour a small amount of resin 50grms in to a pot and add 0.5 - 1ml max of catalyst (1 - 2%) stir thoroughly then paint the mix on to the plastic add the matting and then dob more mixed resin on top so that it is soaked through and thoroughly wet. Set it a side and 25- 30 mins later it will have gone off. You can then rub it down to paint or add another layer.

The speed sensor is replaceable if you can solder, either cut the wires and solder the new sensor wires to the existing ones in the right order or better still undo the controller base and solder the new sensor wires direct to the existing pcb.

The fact the battery lights up when plugged in is a good sign but obviously when unplugged looks like the BMS switches it off so I suspect unbalanced cells and one lower then 3v.
The hard bit is balancing the battery if it is retrievable, it need sot be opened and manually inspected first to measure the cell voltages.

All the jobs are a bit fiddly and will take a bit of time but if you are not very good at diy or fixing things then it is all but junk unless you know someone near by who can help out.
Where do you live ?
Any where near West Sx ?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Hi Neal,
I am in Market Harborough. Thank you for your time. I am generally good with diy but have never soldered before. I paid quite a lot for the oxydrive kit and I hate just disposing of things.
I do not have the bits to fibreglass the battery casing. Additionally, the LCD screen seems to be pretty bad quality and the kit has not been particularly reliable.
I researched kits and even purchased my trek bike to match the colours of it. However, it has been disappointing in the main

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The best part of the kit is the Bafang hub so that one bit of kit not needed, I'm surprised you have a speed sensor as I would have thought the hub would have an internal one . Check the motor wire and count the wires if it has nine wires then it has internal speed sensing.
As it is your battery is of little use so nothing lost if you can open it up and slide the contents out, then we/I can help you to see where the issue may lie.

A new lcd and controller from the likes of KT or Lishui is about £60 - £90, though if the battery can be got to work it might be worth having a go at repairing the controller base. I have an Oxydrive'Lishui lcd I can sell if it matches your connector

Otherwise you will need a new battery and controller/LCD.

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Hi Neal,

A guy called Dave has said he has a new oxydrive battery so that may be the way to go. I am interested in your LCD. Would it plug into the existing 3 pin slot where the existing one goes.

The speed sensor has a little ‘plug’ on the end of it that goes into slot where the other components plug into

Cheers, Zack

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Hi, these are the adapters on the Oxydrive kit.
Will I have to cut them so I can fit a new LCD screen?

Can 35093