Oxydrive ride recorded on Strava.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thought I would start a new thread for those who have converted a road or hybrid bike with the Oxydrive kit and some where to place there journeys.

Removed Strava link as I believe my email and password may be compromised.
A Question for those who use Strava , when you click on a link here on the forum and the activities page opens with linked ride does your email or login name appear as well as the dotted password in a pane above?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
https://www.strava.com/activities/372737080
I managed to change a few settings so think its safe now to post my ride from Strava, just a shortish jaunt. Really need to change the thread to any road type bike or kit as there is an offroad thread for posting Strava details etc.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
https://www.strava.com/activities/379464605
My ride today, I managed 40mph on two downhill sections today. Also was pleased to get home with the 4th battery segment going out so with 3 left another 12-15 miles looks possible giving me a 50 mile range.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
https://www.strava.com/activities/388385681
Nearly 38 miles today, I'm liking my Oxy so much that the bbs doesn't get a look in at the mo.
Noticed again today that the Oxy lcd doesn't match the Garmin Edge 20. GE20 tells me 39.6 mph tops and 37.6 miles covered and Oxy lcd says 42.8 mph tops and 42.4 miles covered. Have had wheel setting on 27.5 & 28 so assume the lcd programming is little out and the GE20 being GPS should be pretty well accurate, so have come to the conclusion that total Oxy odo reading is some 11% out. All I need now is another Oxy 13ah battery to extend the range.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I use Strava all the time when riding my road bike (unassisted). If I use Strava with my electric bike, will it destroy all of the PRs I've set on the road bike?

I seem to remember someone saying that there is an electric bike setting within Strava, so can someone please remind me how to set it? If I do set Strava in electric bike mode, I assume that any PRs or even KOMs recorded do not show up and spoil the leaderboard?

EDIT: Found the answer using the forum search function! Sorry to have jumped in.

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
I record my rides on Strava...as they are Ebike rides you don't get any sectors or PRs ( or maybe I need to do something else for it to record them?) I do it as it encourages me to try that bit harder and also I can see how regularly I am getting out...

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
i am faster on road bike,compared to my electric bike on nearly all my segments i have a 250 w legal bike,i just make the ride private if i have been too fast and taken KOM's/top 10

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I'm finding that I am faster over the entire distance of a ride on my road bike too. However on long steep climbing sections, the electric bike is faster, but I can usually get up short climbs quicker on the road bike.

My main concern however is trashing my road bike PRs and the overall leaderboard on the long hill sections.

I'm loving the road bike and my electric has spent virtually all of the summer stuck in the garage. Wet & windy dark mornings and nights are approaching though, so I expect to be using the electric bike more in the coming months!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Unassisted bikes faster than e-bikes, who'd have thought it., certainly not me given the continued misinformation e-bike importers persist in peddling.

Regarding Strava e-bike rides and segments, there's currently a glitch where by newly created e-bike segments don't search the data-base and populate the leaderboard in the same why a normal segment would.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rode out some 54 miles yesterday and did the last 10 unassisted as the juice ran out, with approx. 3000 feet of climbing in total the battery had a bit more work to do, also forgot to check the tyres PSI so rolling esp rear felt soft, I stopped twice so to save battery I switched off the Garmin, hence 3 entries.
https://www.strava.com/activities/398555392
https://www.strava.com/activities/398555546
https://www.strava.com/activities/398555555
Waiting to hear from Andrew about another battery, I'm not one who puts the bike in the car to ride somewhere so all my rides are about 25mile radius of home with the Oxy but once I get another I can plan double that, with my MTB I tend to plan about 30 mile radius as off roading and the sometimes wet/boggy terrain along with knobbly tyres take more out of the batteries.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
You passed two good café stops. The Cats Protection at Chelwood Gate, and the little shop in Fletching high street. There is usually quite a gathering of cycles there on a Wednesday morning. Not so far from Deers Leap cycles either. Not a bad cuppa there either, but the food isn't as great.
Next time that you are over at Chelwood Gate, if on a road bike, walk down to the vachery, or if on an mtb, ride down there. It's an interesting place.

]

The Green Man at Horsted Keynes serves a good pint as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Must have been a quiet morning only saw 2 lycra's in Fletching H/S before heading off down Mill Lane next time out there I will take the route thru the stone arch and Shef Gdns. Generally the area is on my books for further exploration.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I use Strava all the time when riding my road bike (unassisted). If I use Strava with my electric bike, will it destroy all of the PRs I've set on the road bike?

I seem to remember someone saying that there is an electric bike setting within Strava, so can someone please remind me how to set it? If I do set Strava in electric bike mode, I assume that any PRs or even KOMs recorded do not show up and spoil the leaderboard?

EDIT: Found the answer using the forum search function! Sorry to have jumped in.
Hey Tilson,
Not sure if you got a full answer to this and like you I have been riding my new road bike all summer, ,so.. for anyone else who wants to try it..
in Strava
If you go to settings.. My Gear.. name and add both bikes, ticking which you want for default (I default the road bike so all rides are automatically associated with it).
If I ride the ebike I upload as normal then with the activity showing click the pencil on the left hand side where you can alter the activity type to ebike ride and also choose the bike used (ebike) from your list. This separates the total miles so you can see how far you have totaled on each bike which doesnt affect your running total;
This has been a bit hit and miss since it was added but seems to be working ok now.
When you change to ebike ride all the segment times just disappear so you can then strive to beat your road bike times without compromising them on the Ebike. There is no need to make them private and you can make ebike segments in there as well that only apply to ebike rides..
If you do this in the app it doesn't always work...
All in all a good compromise..
You cant add this retrospectively and I had so many ebike rides in there to go through them all to change activity type, so I cancelled my account and started again.
Sorry if you know all this already..

Reactions: tillson

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I had so many ebike rides in there to go through them all to change activity type, so I cancelled my account and started again.
If you'd asked support to do the change on mass for you they would have.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hey Tilson,
Not sure if you got a full answer to this and like you I have been riding my new road bike all summer, ,so.. for anyone else who wants to try it..
in Strava
If you go to settings.. My Gear.. name and add both bikes, ticking which you want for default (I default the road bike so all rides are automatically associated with it).
If I ride the ebike I upload as normal then with the activity showing click the pencil on the left hand side where you can alter the activity type to ebike ride and also choose the bike used (ebike) from your list. This separates the total miles so you can see how far you have totaled on each bike which doesnt affect your running total;
This has been a bit hit and miss since it was added but seems to be working ok now.
When you change to ebike ride all the segment times just disappear so you can then strive to beat your road bike times without compromising them on the Ebike. There is no need to make them private and you can make ebike segments in there as well that only apply to ebike rides..
If you do this in the app it doesn't always work...
All in all a good compromise..
You cant add this retrospectively and I had so many ebike rides in there to go through them all to change activity type, so I cancelled my account and started again.
Sorry if you know all this already..

Thanks Phill, I've picked up a few good tips from your post.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you'd asked support to do the change on mass for you they would have.
Oh, bummer.. I deleted nearly 3 years of stats.. Still, who cares its only numbers, and at least now when I get a PR I know its real!!
I also bought the premium which tells me how I stand up against the over 65,s. and on 1 segment I am actually on top!!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Must have been a quiet morning only saw 2 lycra's in Fletching H/S before heading off down Mill Lane next time out there I will take the route thru the stone arch and Shef Gdns. Generally the area is on my books for further exploration.
Normally on a Wednesday morning there is a group of older guys turn up. By older, I mean in their eighties. They live in separate parts of Sussex, meet for a cuppa, then go their separate ways again. The weekends can get pretty busy, and oddly the locals moan about the amount of cyclists that use the shop. As the owner once pointed out to me, without the cyclists the shop would close down.

I've yet to go through the arch into Shef Gdns. I don't think that the gate is always open, and I've never been sure if you can actually ride through. Not that I normally let things like that stop me, but most of the time, it's not daylight hours. ;)

The area does have some lovely peaceful almost traffic free roads to ride on. I see that you ventured onto my least favourite road. The one that runs through Sharpthorne. I hate it.

Taking your first section, yellow marks very roughly a few of the evening walks. ;) Purple is one on my list to also try out. Deers Leap also have about 250acres of land that they allow mtb riders to use, at a cost of just a couple of pounds or so. I haven't yet tried it out, as I think that it is just riding around fields, and is very much family orientated. I should do so though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad