Oxygen bike lights

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I am totally unable to decide what you mean.....
Do you mean the big heavy Bike battery, or possibly the batterie inside some bike lights? Photos and the name/model of the bike would also help, detailed and clear ones.
regards
Andy

AliC

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2021
I am totally unable to decide what you mean.....
Do you mean the big heavy Bike battery, or possibly the batterie inside some bike lights? Photos and the name/model of the bike would also help, detailed and clear ones.
regards
Andy
Hi Andy
Sorry . I meant the aaa batteries inside the front light. First time I had to replace them and it was being a bit stiff. Still replaced now and I didn't have to remove the light from the bike. I think all the Oxygen bikes have the same style front light.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy
Sorry . I meant the aaa batteries inside the front light. First time I had to replace them and it was being a bit stiff. Still replaced now and I didn't have to remove the light from the bike. I think all the Oxygen bikes have the same style front light.
Thanks for clearing that up!
I also prefer battery powered front lights, and I have two, which gives me a wider field of vision at night, and the likelihood of both being empty at the same time is very small. And if they are both empty, I still have the bikes main light which has been seldom used....
I have done that since finding on my first e-bike, that if you ran the main battery down to empty, no lights at all!!!
regards
Andy

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Thanks for clearing that up!
I also prefer battery powered front lights, and I have two, which gives me a wider field of vision at night, and the likelihood of both being empty at the same time is very small. And if they are both empty, I still have the bikes main light which has been seldom used....
I have done that since finding on my first e-bike, that if you ran the main battery down to empty, no lights at all!!!
regards
Andy
When i finally install the Esposure Fuse(wired in light) which is 1000 lumen, it will be on flashing only, which will be little draw and keep the main big light(exposure toro) for lighting up the way. This way I've both options. Should the main light battery run down, i can switch to the wired in flashing light and put it on main beam.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
When i finally install the Esposure Fuse(wired in light) which is 1000 lumen, it will be on flashing only, which will be little draw and keep the main big light(exposure toro) for lighting up the way. This way I've both options. Should the main light battery run down, i can switch to the wired in flashing light and put it on main beam.
Are flashing white(?) lights legal where you live? Also, they apparently irritate some car drivers at night....
regards
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Are flashing white(?) lights legal where you live? Also, they apparently irritate some car drivers at night....
regards
Andy
And when they are too bright (as they often are) irritate other bike riders too.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
And when they are too bright (as they often are) irritate other bike riders too.
Of course they do......
I myself have never used one, nor would I as I believe that having an irritated car driver behind me, is really pushing my/your luck, especially if he is also a sufferer of "Night Blindness!"
regards
Andy

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
regards
Andy
In the UK we're allowed flashing lights:

"if it flashes, it must conform to the required flash rate (1 to 4 equal flashes per second)"

I keep one flashing and one steady on the handlebar - these are three 1800LM headlights soldered to my ebike battery via an inline blade fuse plus three switches, twin front and one rear - the rear one was made red using heat-resistant acetate sheet. When approaching roundabouts and intersections, I switch all to flashing, and boy does that make drivers notice... 3600LM flashing in front plus 1800LM flashing red at the rear is quite alerting to drivers of my bike's prescence, day or night. (And I still might get squashed)

The light on the left is a 6v 5W pointed at my hi-viz top, because reflective stuff is only hi-viz when it's reflecting light.

Approaching driver's eye view, compared to streetlamp brightness:

I normally have the two on the handlebars pointed down at the road...

...which reveal the road surface quite well, in combination with the 70lux light in the fork. The right handlebar 1800LM headlight appears to be yellowing and dimming, after 2 years of day and night use - I might replace that soon.

...and I have the option for more lights on the lower switch on handlebar switch No.2, for the rear and sides of my bike trailer, sometime in the future:

I also carry a torch, just in case.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
II have it angled slightly to the left so at junctions any driver thinking of coming out goes 'Fook me, thats bright'

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cyclists pay a much higher price in a crash, therefore I don't mind irritating drivers and other road users a bit with my lights. Cacooned in steel, roll cages, side impact bars, seatbelts, airbags, ABS etc. etc. safety features ad infinitum... drivers are well protected from cyclists. I'd be lighting up other cyclists too. It amazes me how pitifully dim a lot of cyclist's lights are, when they have lights - I can barely see them, as cylist or pedestrian! I see the odd impressively bright front or rear red bicycle light, and think "Good job!" I'd shout it or beep @120db, if I thought doing so wouldn't make them fall off.

II have it angled slightly to the left so at junctions any driver thinking of coming out goes 'Fook me, thats bright'
That was my original plan for the (new) 1800LM on the left handlebar, but after experimenting on dark roads this morning, I've decided to keep that left 1800LM pointed slightly left but also angled down low enough, to illuminate the road immediately in front of the bike but leftish - it'll still have the "Fook me that's bright" effect on drivers at junctions, but won't be blinding. The old dimmer (formerly 1800LM) one on the right handlebar works well pointed further up and more toward the middle, to illuminate the road further ahead more effectively for higher speeds. The 70 lux light in the fork fills in the rest of the area directly in front of the bike. Trouble is, the 1800LM on the right handlebar has been on day and night, for well over a year's riding, and is now a bit yellowed and slightly dimmed. I'll swap it with the (new) 1800LM (made red) I have on the rear rack, at the earliest opportunity. So far the reaction on the roads has been very good, with drivers giving me much more space than normal - a slightly dimmer light at the back shouldn't make much of a difference. If it's too dim, I'll reduce the red acetate sheets from two layers to one... athough that may look a bit more orange... in which case I'll try to source alternative redder heat-resistant acetate sheet.

Last edited: