Oxygen S-Cross Speed Sensor

Geoff1953

Just Joined
Aug 3, 2020
Somerset
Hi folks - I have an Oxygen S-Cross Mk1 e-bike and I think the speed sensor has failed - it all works except the speed shows as 0.0 mph.
Does anyone know where the speed sensor is - is there a magnet that should be attached to a spoke on the back wheel for instance or is this done another way. Thanks in advance.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's in the motor. the magnet has probably become unstuck and is sitting somewhere else where it can't work the hall sensor.

You have two choices:
1. Open up the motor and glue it back where it should be.
2. Use an external sensor. That means splicing in to some wires in the controller. you can either cut the sensor off a cheap cycle computer or use a proprietary ebike one that you can buy from Aliexpress or Ebay.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Speed sensing is carried out in two ways, either internal hub hall sensor and magnet in which case the magnet may have come loose or the hall has failed or a rear wheel spoke magnet with the sensor on the LHS rear stay.

vfr beat me to it, as I know he knows this bike well.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
vfr beat me to it, as I know he knows this bike well.
Magnets coming off the motor is a known fault. I know Oxygen had to repair a few, and I've had to do a few myself on similar bikes. My own Q128c has the same problem, but I took the easy route and fitted an external sensor because I have the easier block connectors.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So far not suffered an unstuck magnet but like you also have the block connectors so an easy remedy if ever needed to be overcome.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Three wires need splicing Geoff, usually Black the Gnd to any Gnd wire via one of the connectors, Red to any 5v via the same method and the third wire/signal wire picks up the White hall/spd sensor wire from the controller to motor ( the early model probably uses the 6 wire hall block which makes it easy as then you can use the Gnd and 5v to connect to).

Reactions: Geoff1953