Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Mr Choo,

Even 7 miles a day each way will put a lot of miles on the clock quickly. Any of the bikes you have mentioned will do the job nicely. I wouldnt be tempted by the very cheap bikes on offer, they will eventually let you down.

All the best, David

Reactions: MrCh00

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Very interesting thread. I'm new to these ebikes and I have my eye on this bike and also the Wisper 905 torque mk2. I did want the woosh Rio but unfortunately they don't accept cycle2work vouchers. Just not sure if these 2 bikes are a little of an over kill for me as I only commute 7 miles with a hill on the return from work.
My future commute is 2.8 km, I can walk that in about 30 minutes. Nice weather commute along the shore 4.2 km.

The problem is getting home after a nights work, there is 42 metres (138') to climb. With traffic it will be a 5 minute ride to work and I will be wearing shirt and tie with dress shoes - rain gear when necessary so it will be a full assistance twiddle the pedals commute both ways.

There is actually a bus line but the times are specially calculated by boffins with big computers so that they are as impractical as possible...

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Very interesting thread. I'm new to these ebikes and I have my eye on this bike and also the Wisper 905 torque mk2. I did want the woosh Rio but unfortunately they don't accept cycle2work vouchers. Just not sure if these 2 bikes are a little of an over kill for me as I only commute 7 miles with a hill on the return from work.
I dont know if I would say overkill. If you are only commuting 7 miles each way, with a bike like the Oxygen, you are guaranteed many years of use from it before you get any problems. Whereas with some of the other bikes Ive had they wouldnt last anything like as long.

MrCh00

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
Thank you all for the responses. Now if I was to get the oxygen should I stick with the 10.4ah battery or go for the 13ah?

MrCh00

Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
At just £50 difference, I'd choose the larger one.
True, Did wonder if to go with the halfords ebikes but some of the reviews put me off.
Just need to decide on this bike or the Wisper 905. I hope I can top up my £1000 c2w or cycle plus voucher.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not sure if I can. I work for for Royal Mail and their scheme is halfords or cycle plus.
Woosh works with CyclePlus.
Not Halfords though.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I would be happy to ask Rob Howe the Greencomute MD to call your HR guys. A lot of big employers now offer Green Commute.

It’s more attractive to bike sellers too. The pay 5% not 15% commission.

All the best, David

MrCh00

Aug 15, 2018
Lincolnshire
I would be happy to ask Rob Howe the Greencomute MD to call your HR guys. A lot of big employers now offer Green Commute.

It’s more attractive to bike sellers too. The pay 5% not 15% commission.

All the best, David
That would be great thanks, there’s no harm in trying.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Not sure if I should be a bit concerned, but how much play is acceptable in the front forks?
There is now noticeable movement between the fork piston and fork main section when stationary and you rock forward and backwards on the brakes.

Everything else still going strong, now at 5600 miles in.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Be afraid, be very afraid...

To be serious, the play you describe - assuming it's not the headset - doesn't sound too clever to me.

Worth getting the fork looked at by a competent mechanic.

A lot of cheaper forks are not serviceable, but a new budget fork is less than £100.

If it is replacement time, I'd be inclined to look at going rigid.

Cheap sus forks don't do a lot more than add weight and - as you are discovering - maintenance complication.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
those forks are not really serviceable, you've got a good run from it, install a new one, it's a 30 minute job.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Cheers both, I'll get it checked out as soon as I can.

Here's a quick vid, but you cant really see where the movement is coming from, but it is definitely the tolerance between the inner and outer part.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that looks like from the headset, take the fork out, check the bearings, clean and grease. You probably won't need new fork but may have to spend £10 on new bearings.

Related Articles

Advertisers