Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, did that old 19 mile run today, thankfully a bit of decent weather up here for a change too.

Ride went well. Put the bike in Eco mode for the first 10 miles to try and judge the range I would get before draining it, and the rest I put it back on Power mode.....what a difference in Power mode :)

Had around 20% left when I go there, and parked at a great place in Manchester City centre where they store your bike inside for the day, for the measly sum of £1.50. Including charging the battery for me... http://popupbikes.co.uk/ if anyone ever needs them.

Coming home, I did a slightly longer route around 20 miles, again, 10 in eco, and the rest on power. Around 20% left again when I got back.

Must admit, I dont quite know how I managed to that every day, Ive gotten lazy doing just 7 miles each way :cool:

The best part though, a couple of work mates went on the train from warrington to Manchester, and I was quicker on the bike .....

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi

Chalk and cheese really. If you are used to riding in eco on the scross, and switch it to power, it will feel like you have a turbo fitted. It really is a massive difference.

The easiest way I can describe it, when in Eco, you have to exert a certain amount of effort before the motor kicks in. When in power mode, its pretty much instant power.

Going from Power to Eco is quite tough...but going from Eco to Power would be pure fun :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The power is the same with any controller with torque control, low assist/ eco (PAS 1) is ok then high assist /turbo (PAS 5) is wow how effortless is this.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Its been a long time since I updated the thread.
Well, the saying is true, no news is good news.

Everything running fantastically well, my mileage is still relatively low compared to a year ago now, covering a measly 70 miles or so a week, compared to 150 or more.

Bike still feels really good, and I love riding it. In fact, I sometimes miss the longer commutes as I just dont seem to get the time at the weekends to go out at the moment.

No issues to report, covered around 8600 miles now in just over 2 years of ownership.

This could well be one of my final posts on this thread though.....

I've had my eye on the updated SCross MTB mkII for a little while now, and am going to oxygen for a nosey at the end of the week.
I'm feeling like car some owners do every two years in that it might be time to get a new one :)

I dont really need to replace it, as i'm sure its got many thousands of miles left in it, but the bike is basically my daily drive now. My car is used only when picking up kids or going shopping, a complete last resort.

If i do buy a new one, I'll either sell this one on, or if i can convince the Mrs about taking over part of her shed, ill keep it as a spare....

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
Good to see the bike is going well after all those miles (only done 600 on mine)

Q: do you have any issues with battery rattle between the frame and battery casing on your one? Trying to resolve an issue with mine at the moment and thinking rubber insert may do the trick

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Good to see the bike is going well after all those miles (only done 600 on mine)

Q: do you have any issues with battery rattle between the frame and battery casing on your one? Trying to resolve an issue with mine at the moment and thinking rubber insert may do the trick
Hi Graham
Yes, I did have the slight rattle.
Originally, i used some little felt pads running along the inside of the battery, but when i visited oxygen once, they showed me how to adjust the battery connector on the frame which seems to eliminate it.
There is a small amount of movement available on the connector where it screws into the frame, a bit of playing around with that will fix it.

Reactions: grahamx

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
Hi Graham
Yes, I did have the slight rattle.
Originally, i used some little felt pads running along the inside of the battery, but when i visited oxygen once, they showed me how to adjust the battery connector on the frame which seems to eliminate it.
There is a small amount of movement available on the connector where it screws into the frame, a bit of playing around with that will fix it.
many thanks will take a look at that connector

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, Im now a very proud owner of the new Oxygen SCross MTBII :)

Popped up to Rotherham today with a view to buying one, and sure enough I couldnt resist.....in fact, i had already bought a couple of goodies to customise to my needs.

The original model served me so well over the almost 2 and a half years of ownership. It really was a game changer for me on are e bikes any good for commuting, especially longer commutes.

I strangely feel like I am abandoning an old friend in many ways., Im sure that bike has many many miles left in it, but its my main mode of transport, and we all like new things, dont we?

Admittedly, I have learned that you do need to maintain them well to keep them going, but you need to do that with any bike really. It has been many many years since my childhood days of cycling miles everywhere, but this bike has bought the fun of those days back to me.

As for the new, improved version, I will start a new thread to that, and do an ongoing review of it. I have no doubt at all that it is going to be just as impressive as the original bike.

I have learnt an awful lot about bike maintenance over the last 3 or 4 years, and I feel pretty confident in most aspects now, but as usual, the guys at Oxygen were as helpful as ever, and I know that if I have the slightest problems with the new bike, they will guide me through resolving at the very least.

Thanks to everyone who has helped along the way with this thread, so much good advice on this forum :)

Not sure yet what I will be doing with my original bike now, if I can convince the mrs that the space in her shed is needed, I might keep it for when the weather is really bad and fit the ice spikers to it.....

And, thanks all for reading :cool:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Not sure yet what I will be doing with my original bike now, if I can convince the mrs that the space in her shed is needed, I might keep it for when the weather is really bad and fit the ice spikers to it.....
I've just bought a new bike and that's exactly my plan for my old one, a good reliable bike and I can't help feeling I'm abandoning an old friend.
Dave.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, the bike has no been sold.
Strangely sad feelings when the bike was collected, the bike was a true workhorse for me.

Gone to a nice guy on here though, who hopefully will have many more miles of smiles ahead :)

Related Articles

Advertisers