Padlocks? New ebike owner

ScottA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2017
Essex
Hi all - newbie alert! :confused:

I've just ordered a Woosh Rio MTB after being hooked by test ride and am looking forward to having some fun with it :)

Anyway, I need to get a padlock to protect my investment!

i know no padlock is fail safe but really don't want some mahoosive great 3 kilo chain as I am conscious of adding more weight (although to be fair the Rio is actually decently light).

I'm seriously looking at the Abus X plus 540 which seems to get good ratings.

Can anyone recommend padlocks for me to check out?

Is it worth adding a cable in conjunction? I'm reading they can be cut quite easily?

D

Deleted member 4366

Oxford Barrier is not too expensive. It's easy to carry on the handlebars. It will defeat all the normal tools that a casual bike thief carries. It's not too heavy. It works extremely well for locking your bike to stationary objects, like trees, lampposts, railings, etc. I've been using one for my electric bikes for seven years and at least 20 years for my motorbikes before that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Scooter-Bike-Cycle-Barrier-Armoured-Cable-Lock-1-5M-/220874822899?var=&hash=item336d2a54f3:m:mphI5yKSgwOtBRVvtcfo9IQ

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
If you want to make sure your investment has the lowest risk of been stolen from you the best thing to do is have two locks.

i would advise to have two D Locks one around the front wheel and around the back wheel this is great for attacks from bolt croppers it would more then likely bend the bolt croppers

This is the method i have used for a couple of years and seems to work because everytime i have done it my bike is still there untouched at all.

The one D Lock doesn't put people off but two D Locks does put people off more then just the one
if you were a thief then you have to look at it like this the last thing you want to do is to be struggling getting a lock off you would want something for a quick get away so you can get to your destination as possible hopefully no one would see you at all.

They say if you are going to lock a bike up lock it in a area where there is a lot of people around a thief is more likely not to bother with messing with your bike at all because of the high volume of people around you they would more likely would want somewhere really quite to be able to do it

i would advise gold rating locks to secure your investment

Last edited:

ScottA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2017
Essex
Yes that makes total sense - Double D sounds good (in so many ways!).

I've been looking at the Sold Secure site and there are a bewildering array listed