Panasonic Batteries 24v 17.5 Ah £110

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This follows on from El Campiero's Bosch battery find and Hugh's post in the same thread regarding Panasonic batteries. I thought that splitting off a Panasonic thread might be appropriate, especially as this battery was used on earlier machines which could now be 5 - 6 years old and the owners, like me, could looking to replace their battery. The 16 Ah batteries are currently on sale with UK suppliers for £500, so this 17.5 Ah battery at just over £100 interests me.

My genuine Panasonic battery is 5 1/2 years old and has done about 16000 miles. It still easily manages my 20 mile round trip commute, so if it fails tomorrow, I will feel as though I've had good value from it.

So to China, the17.5 Ah Panasonic replacement batteries cost approx £108 with a listed min order quantity of 1. They supposedly use Samsung cells, offer a 1 year warranty, accept PayPal (some buyer protection?).

There are a few risks to factor in though, they might be rubbish, import duty, dealing with an unknown supplier, claiming on the 1 yr warranty, knackering my bike, knackering my charger, setting fire to the house.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Replacement-panasonic-24v-25-2v-26v_1611593662.html?s=p (sorry don't know how to do the embedded link thing on the new forum)

All of the above considered, if I CAN buy a single unit, I'm going to take a punt. Off to contact Mr AlanYang now. I will report back. Any thoughts from anyone reading the battery Spec?

D

Deleted member 4366

Definitely worth a punt. Even if the cells are cheap counterfeit ones, at 17.5 aH, they won't have to work very hard.

lowmtr

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2013
I could be interested in taking a punt on one of these as well. I'm a newbie here. I had a quick search but I presume nobody has tacked restocking an existing battery pack with samsung cells? I presume the battery management is the challenge?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have been exchanging email messages with Alan Yang at Fine Dragon Technologies. They will sell these 17.5 Ah batteries for approx £108 each. However, the shipping cost is killing the deal at the moment (£90). I think this is something to do with the battery setting the plane on fire as it makes it's way from China to Blighty.

£200 plus possible import tax / fees is a little too much to punt on a totally unknown item. I would say that there is a 50% chance the battery will be a crock of...... This also negates the 12 month warranty as the T&Cs state the return is at the buyer's expense. If I can do something about reducing that £90 shipping charge, I will still take a chance, if only out of interest.

dmsims

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2010
South Devon
I wanted to buy a 20Kg Ali case from HK - got them to send it sea freight which was 1/3 the cost of air - took seven weeks mind!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This has turned out to be a non-starting idea. The shipping costs are prohibitively high and they won't ship by surface. Battery + shipping + tax leaves the total cost within £80 of some of the German dealers. For me it would make no sense to buy an unknown product at this price.

I have a friend who owns a factory in China. I will explore the possibility of purchasing the battery from within China and then think of a way to get it out of the country, but for now it's a dead duck.

I'd be interested to hear how El Campiero is getting on with the Bosch battery from the same factory.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It seems to be the shipping costs which add to the total price of the battery. When I looked into it, Battery + Shipping wasn't far off that eBay price which you have linked to above. Add on possible tax and the two prices are even closer.

Both options carry a risk in terms of customer service in the event of a faulty battery, but I would say that the eBay battery from The Fatherland carries less risk than the one supplied by Alan Yang off Alibaba in China.

In the UK a 16 Ah battery seems to sell for about £500, but you get UK support for your extra outlay. Would that be a better experience than dealing with the German seller and is it worth it? I don't know.

richardbwe

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2011
I am interested in one of these 24 volt Panasonic equivalent batteries from Alan Yang (aka Alan Young) of "Fine Dragon Technologies" (via Alibaba) listed as having
1.Model: GD-PAN-E25.2B
2.Cell Type:18650 Samsung Li-ion
3.Nominal Voltage: 24V / 25.2V / 26V
4.Rated Capacity:17.6Ah (0.5C2A discharge)
etc.
He tells me the MOQ is 20 but the wesite says 1, so I have queried that.
Presumably if several of us clubbed together the shipping cost would be much less?