Panasonic System Power Delivery Explanation

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Nexus Sprocket

Hello Flecc

Thanks for the quick response. The one Wiggle are selling is the third on in the attached (first posting) picture. I emailed them yesterday, quoting the part numbers, and got the reply “I have checked the sprocket and product code is completely different to the one which you are after i am afraid.”

I am currently on the SJS website, but can not find what I am looking for. They would be the preferred sellers as I am also contemplating buying a pair of Marathon Plus tyres (700 x 38C) and some spoke reflectors from them. I think I will send them a query email.

Iain

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Nexus Sprocket

Hello John

Thank you. The sprocket shown is like the one Wiggle sell and they say is completely different to the one I am after. I have seen the part numbers quoted here before, I just can't make use of them on the internet.

Iain

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Flecc

I am currently on the SJS website, but can not find what I am looking for.

Iain
I don't understand Iain. These things are standard 3 spline fittings, common to three manufacturers and a rare case of standardisation in the industry and any of those is ok. You don't have to have one with a precise part number, and those listed by SJS will do the job ok, though Wiggle are cheaper and Shimano manufactured.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Nexus Sprocket

Hello Flecc

The problem is the conviction of Wiggle that the Shimano parts I requested and the parts they sell are "completely different" although this might be more a reference to product codes rather than products.

Iain

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just looked at that Wiggle page again and looked at the photo instead of going by their heading. If the photo is accurate, they aren't sprockets for the Nexus 8 hub at all, since the splining is completely different. So yes, ignore them, since they seem to have classified something else wrongly. It may be a special variant for the 8 speed in some applications.

There's no problem at SJS though, and other members have fitted those from there. The link I gave above shows the right sprocket page, so I'll repeat it below:

SJS

Just click that SJS link and then use the dropdown menu to select either 18 or 19 tooth in the 1/8th chain size.

Alternatively a local bike shop can easily get these sprockets for you, and some will even stock them as they are standard for all makes now as you'll see on that SJS page.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
To be honest I dont remember seeing the 3 splines on the Shimano hub gear sprocket. I recall that I specifically ordered the correct part as it was advertised on a uk web site (but I cant find the thread!!!).

John

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Nexus Sprocket

Hello Flecc

Thanks again.

I have ordered an 18T 1/8th size sprocket from SJS along with 2 x Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, spoke reflectors and a puncture repair kit - front inner tube currently being fixed (I hope).

Iain :D

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Nexus Sprocket

To be honest I dont remember seeing the 3 splines on the Shimano hub gear sprocket. I recall that I specifically ordered the correct part as it was advertised on a uk web site (but I cant find the thread!!!).

John
No me neither.

Iain

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Got it. the sprockets I got from Petra Cycles seen here and the thread on this was around here.

As Flecc has said (and as on the Sheldon Brown site also) these should all be the same size/fitting as the others, but there are definately no splines on the shimano ones.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The grooves are on the hub, the three splines (tongues) that locate in them are on the sprocket.

The three tongue sprockets fit all the hubs, but the early Sturmey Archer sprockets wont fit the others since they had six tongues on the sprocket and six grooves in those earlier hubs. Hopefully all those sprockets have been either worn out or thrown away by now.

I don't know what the latest eight speed Sunrace-Sturmey hub has, since it's unique gear relationships often require much larger rear sprockets, but hopefully they have stuck to the standard three tongue and spline pattern.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Nexus Sprocket

Got it. the sprockets I got from Petra Cycles seen here and the thread on this was around here.

As Flecc has said (and as on the Sheldon Brown site also) these should all be the same size/fitting as the others, but there are definately no splines on the shimano ones.

John
Thanks John

I have ordered from SJS.

Iain