Pannier bag/s

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Hi everyone,

Just asking as I have a pannier bag I bought a good while back from e-bay, had put it aside for a while
anyhow put it on bike as wanted to go fishing today and put the fishing gear into it carefully and plastic zip bust

and although the material was fine and strong , just zips are rubbish, plus now for what I want it for the bags not much use

as isn't roomy enough for me , and this before a flask and sandwiches were to be put into pannier

I don't mind paying more for the right pannier bag , if any you guys know of a good bag/s which are roomy for gear then much appreciated .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not a recommend as haven't got a pair or looked at a set yet, but on the cycleuk forum they were given the thumbs up. Quick release sliding top clips and adjustable lower clip, looks good value if you don't want to spend more then £50.

Reactions: Bobajob

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Cheers for both answers guys

Some reviews aint so good with a few on the Halfords bag , always get some
but i aint a fan of plastic zipping ..the plastic clips with velcro is all fine likes

but im gonna check out also Amazon one going for just over £50.00 looks fine
and away to checking Ebay out also ..

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Just ordered 2 Ortleib pannier bags from a store online which were on a sale

all good reports on them and roomy for my needs .

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
budsy, could you post a link to your online sale Ortleib's, I might have to buy another pair as my son is about to make use of my old Oxygen emate to commute a short 4 mile return trip to his first job and will need something to carry stuff in.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
budsy, could you post a link to your online sale Ortleib's, I might have to buy another pair as my son is about to make use of my old Oxygen emate to commute a short 4 mile return trip to his first job and will need something to carry stuff in.
Hi George,

Sorry taken me some time to get back as was out all yday on bike
at fishing ..the bag I have been using was cheap with plastic zips
which bust and I had to make small holes with piercing through the bags material
and lacing tied over to keep all my things in place.

it was cheap and ok for a little shopping , but doesnt hold much really
why I sent for this one in link below just the other day , said to arrive any time
soon .

Only had in black when I ordered from store , but now I see also in red / black
or still the black, I liked white one but dosnt matter really as get a good name.

anyhow this costs around the £5 for postage with them sending to you
although you can get that back really as soon as you go on the site is a free £5
off your first purchase over £30

so in a way this covers the postage to you ..Link of store on offer as follows below.

Quick Edit - Order one bag u get the two pannier bags either side for the bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Hi George,

Sorry taken me some time to get back as was out all yday on bike
at fishing ..the bag I have been using was cheap with plastic zips
which bust and I had to make small holes with piercing through the bags material
and lacing tied over to keep all my things in place.

it was cheap and ok for a little shopping , but doesnt hold much really
why I sent for this one in link below just the other day , said to arrive any time
soon .

Only had in black when I ordered from store , but now I see also in red / black
or still the black, I liked white one but dosnt matter really as get a good name.

anyhow this costs around the £5 for postage with them sending to you
although you can get that back really as soon as you go on the site is a free £5
off your first purchase over £30

so in a way this covers the postage to you ..Link of store on offer as follows below.

Quick Edit - Order one bag u get the two pannier bags either side for the bike.

They are very good. I have a pair of cheap copies but the basic bag design & material are virtually identical. I replaced the naff clips with genuine Ortlieb ones. Have toured with them & the roll tops work a treat - a side benefit of which if you are ever carrying something slightly too tall to fit in, are okay left open & keep your load in place by making the bag taller - really versatile.

Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Well I ordered them on 20th July via a British bicycle store Evans

and they arrived today 24th July.

I now see these bags come with a 5 year warranty and are made in Germany

Cant UK make with same materials ? seems we don't or cant for some odd reason
as the bags is thick material and wont let heavy rainfall inside
glad now I sent for the bag, is the 2 bags one each side of bike

easy to clip on, but also a bit awkward when putting 2nd bag
on the other side can be a bit fiddly this with the needing to put your hand
inbetween bike spokes to tighten up the part needed which fits
across the bars on the rack .

Doesnt come though with a shoulder strap which I feel should come with the bags
but I don't need them as bags for me are staying on the bike for life .

Is a small rubber handle attached with each bag in which could be used for anyone unclipping the bag or bags to carry.. but again you then would have to detach
bag/s from the rack via Allan key < and this can be fiddly to get into
as said with the bag via the bags pannier rack and spokes of bike wheel
their is not much room to work ..good I had an Allan key to fit
although I feel again an Allan key should be provided as not all have one to fit .

But all in all good strong material and also does have one clip at either side of bags
to close flaps at each side of bags as wanted, or on a dry day can leave the bags open
and then would hold more items inside .

Happy with bags for my needs as I expect to be caught up in some heavy rainfall
at times when out and about > especially on them fishing trips :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Swizz

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Surely the "lower" clip is just that, an anti swing clip that slips over and off the rail, not something screwed up tight with an Allen key to lock the bag in place?
Well, thats the way I have used the bags so they can be fitted and removed in seconds.
My take is if they were intended to be Allen key locked in place then they wasted a whole lot of money engineering the "easy release" top fitting.

Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Surely the "lower" clip is just that, an anti swing clip that slips over and off the rail, not something screwed up tight with an Allen key to lock the bag in place?
Well, thats the way I have used the bags so they can be fitted and removed in seconds.
My take is if they were intended to be Allen key locked in place then they wasted a whole lot of money engineering the "easy release" top fitting.
Good post ^ I haven't used bike yet since I put pannier bags on either side
which I did tighten up onto rack via Allen key ..So I take it I have to slacken them again
so theyre easy to lift off and put back on at ease via top clips ?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Good post ^ I haven't used bike yet since I put pannier bags on either side
which I did tighten up onto rack via Allen key ..So I take it I have to slacken them again
so theyre easy to lift off and put back on at ease via top clips ?
I would expect your bags either come with the OL-1 or QL-2 system, mine the are the former which I find brilliant,

QL-1 system QL-2 system

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
You only need to adjust the lower clips once if you are attaching the bags to the same pannier rack.

They only need to be adjusted again to fit the panniers to a different pannier rack on another bike, and I have found this quick and easy to do.

This means you can quickly and easily swap them between different bikes which have pannier racks.

So once the lower clips are set the panniers can be attached and detached in moments which is very useful.

I un-clip mine to take them in my shopping trolly into a supermarket. The ability to attach and detach these bags in moments, and that they are so secure when attached is a real asset.

When you get home taking your pannier bags into the house is a cinch.

• Agree
Reactions: Ocsid

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
A bit late now, but ive toured for thousands of mikes (and i jean thousands) and my Altura Dryliners are still in great condition. They dont have tge kudos of Ortkeibs but a a bit cheaper and quality,

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I would expect your bags either come with the OL-1 or QL-2 system, mine the are the former which I find brilliant,

QL-1 system QL-2 system
Cheers for videos ^

QL-1 is mine , you must I take it slacken more so via Allen key so it lifts of at ease

but I don't care for it coming off at all as not for shopping .

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Cheers for videos ^

QL-1 is mine , you must I take it slacken more so via Allen key so it lifts of at ease

but I don't care for it coming off at all as not for shopping .
Not in my case, I originally set the lower clip of each to the appropriate position and fixed it there, never resetting again. Fortuitously, both are identical simply vertically down, the rack must have been designed for these panniers. As such they "fall" into position naturally and it matters not which one goes which side.

To me the expediency of their removal refitting is a fundamental requirement, hence in part the choice of these bags along with the shoulder straps to portage them for shopping etc.

Clearly from what is stated that ease of removal and the portability are not features you need from the panniers. I would however be very cautious where I leave them as I suspect even tightening the lower clip will give near zero security, from a purposely intended good snatch. These are a highly desirable acquisitions for anyone intent on acquiring a pair, not overly worried how and with any hint of how easily they are removed.

Last edited:

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Not in my case, I originally set the lower clip of each to the appropriate position and fixed it there, never resetting again. Fortuitously, both are identical simply vertically down, the rack must have been designed for these panniers. As such they "fall" into position naturally and it matters not which one goes which side.

To me the expediency of their removal refitting is a fundamental requirement, hence in part the choice of these bags along with the shoulder straps to portage them for shopping etc.

Clearly from what is stated that ease of removal and the portability are not features you need from the panniers. I would however be very cautious where I leave them as I suspect even tightening the lower clip will give near zero security, from a purposely intended good snatch. These are a highly desirable acquisitions for anyone intent on acquiring a pair, not overly worried how and with any hint of how easily they are removed.
Know what u mean by being taken off by some thief, I always keep bike close bye me wherever I go on bike .
----------------------------------

Quick Edit - Actually more room in them bags than what a first thought :)
but as u say easily taken of the bike them bags in which u can carry with you if I wish

I don't do shopping and just got them for fishing
and so the bike doesnt leave my side .

Last edited: