Pannier/Mudguard help - Cube Acid Hybrid One 500 2018 Model

Medikamina

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2018
Hey guys, as a follow up to a previous post I'm looking to make the most out of my ebike which has been gathering dust. When I first got the bike (Cube Acid Hybrid One 2018 500) I couldn't find a suitable Pannier rack. I also found it difficult to find some full length mudguards for the 29" tyres! Ideally I'd like full length for my commute - there are no showers or changing rooms where I work sadly so keeping reasonably clean is a must!

Any suggestions for compatible rack/mudguards would be great! Thanks in advance.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
In 2014 fitted these front & rear to my KTM

Had to improvise to bridge some gaps using spare old guard but then with rack and throwover panniers fitted it keeps the worst at bay - nothing apart from a car is 100% effective...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have just fitted these to my 700c Norco and look quite smart, the listing description is wrong though as they only just manage to cover the 42mm tyre I have on the rear.
Otherwise I can't fault them yet/

Rack wise you should be able to fit any good one as there are plenty to choose from.

Medikamina

Oct 4, 2018

Attachments

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
How would I fit those to the front? I’ve attached a few photos of what I have to work with!
L-shaped brackets attached to those rear facing lower mounting holes, and a bolt into the threaded hole on the rear of the fork bridge.
Although if you're using the bike for serious off road stuff and lots of mud they won't be suitable, I had thought the bike was a hybrid, but see it is more mountain bike.

Medikamina

Oct 4, 2018
L-shaped brackets attached to those rear facing lower mounting holes, and a bolt into the threaded hole on the rear of the fork bridge.
Although if you're using the bike for serious off road stuff and lots of mud they won't be suitable, I had thought the bike was a hybrid, but see it is more mountain bike.
Yeah, agreed. I mostly use it on road though.

That said, I’ve looked at those SKS and sadly my tyres are too wide at 2.25”. I’ll keep looking!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Yeah, agreed. I mostly use it on road though.

That said, I’ve looked at those SKS and sadly my tyres are too wide at 2.25”. I’ll keep looking!
Given you will be mainly riding on the road you may also want to look at more suitable tyres at some point.

Medikamina

Oct 4, 2018
Given you will be mainly riding on the road you may also want to look at more suitable tyres at some point.
Yeah. These are the ones it came with but I had considered changing tyres. Any suggestions?

Zincy

May 24, 2019
I run these on my hybrid in a 700 28 size, my bike came with chunkier tyres and these made the bike a fair bit faster and easier. I find the grip really good in all road conditions. https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/commuting-touring/contact-ii

View attachment 32038
Hi Artstu

I am in a similar boat, I have a Woosh Rio MTB which has chunky 26in x 1.95in tyres but I mainly / only use the bike on road and so if there was something I could swap these tyres with that would offer less rolling resistance then that would be great, any suggestions?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hi Artstu

I am in a similar boat, I have a Woosh Rio MTB which has chunky 26in x 1.95in tyres but I mainly / only use the bike on road and so if there was something I could swap these tyres with that would offer less rolling resistance then that would be great, any suggestions?
From the Conti range something like this in 1.3 x 26, there will be lots of other options from other manufacturers.

Edit, These are really light https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-durano-raceguard-folding-tyre/rp-prod175547

or these https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-grand-prix-26-bike-tyre/rp-prod39338

Last edited:

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Any suggestions for compatible rack/mudguards would be great! Thanks in advance.
I used two different types of SKS full length mudguards & joined together, as neither were long enough to stop road spray. I understand that you can buy front fork brackets, but at the time I did not realise that & simply went to the local toolstation for plumbing parts.

Attachments