Pannier Opinions Please!

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
My trusty old faux leather rigid panniers, bought years ago in France have finally fallen apart.

Does anyone have any particular experience or ideas of what might make a good replacement? I don't need anything for for £200 , but I'd like a decent quality and useful pair.

They are used for carrying groceries, newspapers, wet weather gear, whatever, and are to go on my Kalkhoff Tasman which has the rack and side supports fitted.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The dutch do the best panniers - they look like shopping bags with sturdy handles but clip on the rack once you have filled them with your bread rolls. I bought mine in Belgium but I am sure you can get them here - although here they tend to have flowery patterns (might not be your style). There are a number of shops that feature a lot of the trendy dutch stuff.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Unfortunately I've found panniers under £50 are pants, for instance the mounting clips on the Oxford bag will snap in cold weather. If you want to spend £80-£100 (for the pair) there are some good choices but for the cheaper ones I notice little difference and would go for ebay cheapies.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
My wife bought ORTLIEB panniers for her CANNONDALE T2000 tourer and I bought the same for my STREET MACHINE. Both are still being used and show no sign of wear. Fantastic pans.

Jimmythe1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2011
Stockport
I use Ortlieb Classics which are three years old - not cheap but work well. Spent a week touring in June. There were thunderstorms every day, one day it rained heavily for 6 hours. Inside of panniers bone dry all week. Good clips secure them to the rack- never had a problem.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Regarding the Ortlieb. They do come with different size rack connectors. I have 2 different sizes which is a bit of a pain. Not sure how many sizes there are! ...

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I guess I must have had good luck with the cheap panniers.

The cheap and cheerful halfords ones are still intact, but I swapped them for the 3 bag panniers from Lidl or Aldi (with the built in rain cover) and so far so good.

Used them both for shopping, wet weather gear and tools without any problems.

Neither set unclipped particularly easily so I leave them on the bike. I got removable waterproof liners and used them as shopping bags. The Lidi/Aldi ones, the top bag is removable by zip and looks like a laptop bag.

I doubt they are as good as an expensive set, but they work for me.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Regarding the Ortlieb. They do come with different size rack connectors. I have 2 different sizes which is a bit of a pain. Not sure how many sizes there are! ...
I've got the Agu equivalent (would recommend them but the zips on the external pockets don't last) and it adjusts for different thicknesses of rack in a few seconds. I expect Ortlieb are similar.

hannibal

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2009
The cheap Raleigh Triple pannier does OK and comes with a carry strap - but not waterproof. I'm quite pleased with the Lidl triple pannier, which comes with a rain cover - but it is fiddly to fix and remove (I leave it on permanently). In addition, my wife has a cheap front basket for additional shopping.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I've got the Agu equivalent (would recommend them but the zips on the external pockets don't last) and it adjusts for different thicknesses of rack in a few seconds. I expect Ortlieb are similar.
You can adjust horizontally for different rack types but there is no adjustment to accomodate different thicknesses of rack ... :(

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
My wife bought ORTLIEB panniers for her CANNONDALE T2000 tourer and I bought the same for my STREET MACHINE. Both are still being used and show no sign of wear. Fantastic pans.
Totally agree.

Mine are always on my bike and still look like new after 3 years. You could probably sling these in the river with your gear in them and everything would still be dry.

They are very popular with the round the world bikers so they cannot be that bad.

Not cheap but worth every penny in my opinion.

Steve

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Totally agree.

Mine are always on my bike and still look like new after 3 years. You could probably sling these in the river with your gear in them and everything would still be dry.

They are very popular with the round the world bikers so they cannot be that bad.

Not cheap but worth every penny in my opinion.

Steve
They are popular with canoeists as well.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I use the Ortliebs too and have been very happy with them. They are very easy to attach/detach from the bike and as everyone has said are completely waterproof.

They are sold as a pair but a lot of people only need one. Therefore you quite often see people selling their spare on Ebay.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
Does anyone carry batteries in the panniers? I'm looking to shift the weight of a 36V 20Ah LiFePO4 from the rear rack, and ability to carry the weight is a concern.
I did see some wire frame type- a bit like shopping baskets- in the last few weeks but didn't save a link, air they weren't too cheap but could be what I need depending on the size of them. I'll try trawling through my browser history and ebay but has anyone got any experience of batteries in panniers? I've also seen some panniers where the bike owners have built them (on endless sphere), Amberwolfs looked a bit large and too low but he is happy with it and could certainly hold my battery (he uses 3 x 12v Lead batteries). I think it's probably a bit much for over here though, so would need changes.

Last edited: