Panniers !! (The Best?)

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
This is a useful thread for me as I am on the lookout for new panniers. I have bought a couple of cheap ones off ebay that have been very good until I break them. To be fair it was my fault, the first one I failed to secure one of the velcro attachments correctly & it bounced off over a bump & got mangled in the back wheel. The 2nd one I misjudged the width of a gap & caught the pannier ripping the plastic mounts out.
So debating a 3rd cheapie & be more careful or spend a bit more & still be careful but hope they may be strong enough to cope with any more mistakes.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My last lot were aldi specials.. I do a daily post office run with my eBay stuff and just need ease of access and quick removal, rather than being storm proof. In my experience the bits that fasten them to the bike/Carrier are the first to go and I am on the lookout for replacements. Looking at these in Halfords it appears that the weight is carried by the rack, rather than clips that fasten to the rack.. I like the idea of an all in one with a top box, but I would need bigger side bags.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/panniers-racks/topeak-mtx-trunkbag-exp
Still looking..

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi All.Which are the best panniers ??? I have bought a succession of cheap panniers over the years on eBay and the last ones (£12.50) lasted about a month so I thought right you get what you pay for and bought a set of (Altura Dryline 56ltr Panniers £100 per pair) and what a difference as there's a great locking device which locks onto your rack and lots of little pockets and they take loads of gear and are totally waterproof and the quick release is brilliant you just park it lock it and take your pannier with you and it even has hook up points for shoulder straps connecters )I have even stopped taking my man bag (sorry I'm old??) with me as it's easier to just chuck it in the pannier then just lift it and take it with you also it hooks onto any shopping trolly on the front so you can pack the pannier as you pay at the checkouts brilliant.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
Hey,
I like the look of these.. I, like others have found, the cheapies dont last long! I ride a lot on rough terrain and am a bit worried about the fixing points which are hard to see on the website advertising photos. The weak points on the ones I have/had are.
1. the plastic snap on clip that fastens to the top of the bike rack usually breaks and has to be bodged up with velcro or cable ties.
2/ The fitting to the bottom of the pannier doesnt last, it either goes rusty if metal and breaks if plastic allowing the pannier to flap about.
So, Looking at the ones you have bought, how well are they secured to the bike?..
Thanks in advance...

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
My last lot were aldi specials.. I do a daily post office run with my eBay stuff and just need ease of access and quick removal, rather than being storm proof. In my experience the bits that fasten them to the bike/Carrier are the first to go and I am on the lookout for replacements. Looking at these in Halfords it appears that the weight is carried by the rack, rather than clips that fasten to the rack.. I like the idea of an all in one with a top box, but I would need bigger side bags.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/panniers-racks/topeak-mtx-trunkbag-exp
Still looking..
I am using DXP version it is much bigger . No lost of attachment ability after 6000 miles

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
image.jpg
I used to use panniers, but now I just use a bag with a shoulder strap. It sits out of the way behind my hip when pedalling. You can get them at car boot sales for about a pound. They're so much more convenient than panniers. I have different sizes for different occasions. I can get an over-filled Tesco basket of stuff into my large one. I admit that that sort of weight is not so comfortable, but it's so much easier because you can fill your bag at the checkout.
Hi d8veh.I also use a shoulder/man bag but they can be a bit tiresome especially when heavy! And my Atura & most other clip on panniers will clip onto the front of a shopping trolly so you put in the shopping and transfer it from the trolly to you rack sorted!!

Reactions: JamesW

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi Steve,
Thinking laterally or rather longitudinally, if you have lot of stuff to carry would a trailer work for you?
Available here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?clk_rvr_id=760538432820&adpos=1o2&MT_ID=11&crlp=50353178551_2113181&device=c&geo_id=32251&keyword=single wheel bike trailer&crdt=0&_nkw=single wheel bike trailer&_sop=15

20Kg of compost from B&Q
View attachment 10276
Supermarket shopping
View attachment 10278
Furniture shopping
View attachment 10277
Hi.Yes I had a trailer a while ago (pic attached) image.jpg but ( according to Freego) it cracked my frame?? at the rear so a little dubious about using one again?? but it was good when I was using it although the single wheel one looks a better idea as its a lot narrower and not prone to hitting kerbs!! although not as much carrying capacity but with a little work I suppose a plate could be welded to the rear carrier and tow it off of that!!.
Regards Steve.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
My dawes bag cracked after the second ride:

What side bag can hold 10kg reliably?

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
My dawes bag cracked after the second ride:

What side bag can hold 10kg reliably?
Ahh cwah - this is where you have made your mistake... double bag it if necessary, or spilt the battery into 2 5kg batteries and put 1 in each side of one of those dutch style panniers which is linked over the top of the rack with the fabric. That way the bag suffers less stress and the bag supports have to take less weight too. I know how you love messing with you battery packs so you might consider that one?

(Something that looks like this but is more waterprrof if required: https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/basil_mara_double_pannier_bag_black_26l-ID_63730?gclid=CL_3kJC6nsMCFefMtAodblkAbw )

Alternatively buy a decent waterproof bag with a welded seam - that should take the weight better than a dodgy bit of sewing!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Ahh cwah - this is where you have made your mistake... double bag it if necessary, or spilt the battery into 2 5kg batteries and put 1 in each side of one of those dutch style panniers which is linked over the top of the rack with the fabric. That way the bag suffers less stress and the bag supports have to take less weight too. I know how you love messing with you battery packs so you might consider that one?

(Something that looks like this but is more waterprrof if required: https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/basil_mara_double_pannier_bag_black_26l-ID_63730?gclid=CL_3kJC6nsMCFefMtAodblkAbw )

Alternatively buy a decent waterproof bag with a welded seam - that should take the weight better than a dodgy bit of sewing!
My battery is only 5kg. But I added some stuff on top of that (lock) and laptop. It can easily weight 7-8kg. 10kg would be good for reliability.

I'm considering these ones:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WP100-carrier-bags-Colour-black/dp/B002RLGWHA/ref=sr_1_17?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1421616821&sr=1-17&keywords=pannier

Not sure if it's strong enough?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi Cwah

Yea actually I finished my build long time ago and I did post it at the end of that thread. I got the rim from Jerry and calculated the spoke lengthy using the website. Lacing it by myself but tuned by my LBS for £5 lol. Spreading the fork was not an issue it just took time and patient. My brompton is still working brilliantly after 2500 miles. However, I do not use that often as my main bike is eboardman hybrid.

I am still amazed by your creation and just keep me update ;)

Reactions: cwah

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
My battery is only 5kg. But I added some stuff on top of that (lock) and laptop. It can easily weight 7-8kg. 10kg would be good for reliability.

I'm considering these ones:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WP100-carrier-bags-Colour-black/dp/B002RLGWHA/ref=sr_1_17?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1421616821&sr=1-17&keywords=pannier

Not sure if it's strong enough?
I believe not only the base of the side bag has to be tough, the strong racking mechanism is also required. The plastic part of the clip doesn't convince me...

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I've looked at it carefully, and it does feel very similar to this topeak folding trolley:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-Pannier-Rack-Trolley-Tote/dp/B00320QMIO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421631410&sr=8-5&keywords=topeak+trolley

I'd consider getting a topeak instead of them as it's cheaper and also have much better reviews

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
I believe not only the base of the side bag has to be tough, the strong racking mechanism is also required. The plastic part of the clip doesn't convince me...
And that is why I suggested a double dutch style one.
My ortlieb back roller classics regularly get filled to 5-10kg but I try to spread the load over 2 bags if I think the bag is starting to get heavy to prevent the clips failing early ad this happened to me on my cheaper avenue waterproof ones after about 12months use each.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer