Panorama tonight Cyclist/other road user conflicts

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Of interest as "cyclist" will be the Panorama programme on TV at 20:00 BBC1 tonight the 2nd Nov 2022 that focuses on this well-known issue to most of us.
Just seen a "trailer" piece on Breakfast TV, so will be watching the programme tonight.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
If it airs after the "live broadcast" I may watch it on YT. Although I am not a huge fan of the BBC I did enjoy that program.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I shall watch as I also saw the BBC news item, of interest was one of the last clips where a car didn't stop at roundabout. Said car took out the cyclist but from the clip although the car should have given way to cyclist from the right, the cyclist did him self few favours by what I saw undercutting the roundabout central point.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ones suspects as with most media, when it comes to car vs cycles it will car biased.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
A very interesting program, that demonstrates clearly just how stupidly dangerous some 4 (or more) wheeled drivers are.
But cyclists who go through red lights and similar, are not doing themselves or any other bike rider, any favours. They really should learn to obey the rules of the road.
I wonder just how many of the cyclist road deaths and injuries, are caused by total ignorance of the rules of the road, by the cyclists alone. That was not mentioned!
The only place I ever had "contact" with a lorry, while on my bike, was in the UK some 60 years ago - so little has changed.....
Up to now, I have not had such problems here, but I always have that little plastic "thingy", fully extended towards any overtaking traffic, and it appears to work well for me....
From my nasty side, I am considering adding a rough headed screw to the end of the plastic "thingy", so that IF someone brushes it with their car, their paintwork will rue the day!
I recorded the Panoram BBC program last night, and would, if there is no simpler alternative (BBC iPlayer for example), be willing to burn it on a DVD and send it to anywhere in Europe and the UK, if that person is willing to pay the postage costs over PayPal, up front. DVD will not be charged for, because of legal reasons.
regards to all and do stay safe and legal.
Andy
PS. If anyone is interested, I record just about everything that I want to watch on TV, as I hate most ads (not the BBC of course, but its my habit for all my programs!), and I watch it later, totally Ad free, also, my dog often needs walkies in the middle of a good film, or the doorbell rings.....

Reactions: Bikes4two

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I record just about everything that I want to watch on TV,
I used to do the same & skip the ads, but after the BBC's coverage of covid PSA's 24/7 I decided to throw in the towel, I got NLN certified by TV(& yes I had to digitally tick a box to get an NLN certificate, although ghosting TVL is ok but this method does stop the horrid and threatening letters) I now use netflix for entertainment and YT for everything else. Except live broadcast shows.

As for people, it is not the vehicle that people drive, it's the person who's in control & any party on our public highways should play by the rules & try to contribute to improving safety for all road users. Where possible...

Reactions: robert44 and flecc